News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

$8K for low mileage 67 Eldorado

Started by Dick Heller, May 17, 2005, 08:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Dougher

Those look like original tires.  They are, at least the correct whitewall for 67.  I dont know if Id drive on them.

The car looks very doable, but the bubbling (rust) under the vinyl top might be a problem.

Its a shame someone left that car out in the weather!

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

That price seems fair to me--considering the low mileage and refurbishing needed. The car appears original, nearly perfect interior, and moderate options (no six-way seat, no tilt wheel, but does have vinyl roof and power door locks). The sellers name (MacKay) was the name of a former Cadillac dealership in suburban Pittsburgh. The Academy Gray with Black Vinyl Roof and Burgundy Leather looks classic. All the trim appears correct & present. Hopefully, this car will be rescued by a careful restorer before anymore damage is done to it. Of course, I love all those 67-78 Eldorados!

Dick Heller

six-way bench was standard equipment.  Paint job will run 5-10 grand.  a lot of change.

Quote from: Rich Sullivan CLC #11473That price seems fair to me--considering the low mileage and refurbishing needed. The car appears original, nearly perfect interior, and moderate options (no six-way seat, no tilt wheel, but does have vinyl roof and power door locks). The sellers name (MacKay) was the name of a former Cadillac dealership in suburban Pittsburgh. The Academy Gray with Black Vinyl Roof and Burgundy Leather looks classic. All the trim appears correct & present. Hopefully, this car will be rescued by a careful restorer before anymore damage is done to it. Of course, I love all those 67-78 Eldorados!

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Quote from: Dick Hellersix-way bench was standard equipment.  Paint job will run 5-10 grand.  a lot of change.

Quote from: Rich Sullivan CLC #11473That price seems fair to me--considering the low mileage and refurbishing needed. The car appears original, nearly perfect interior, and moderate options (no six-way seat, no tilt wheel, but does have vinyl roof and power door locks). The sellers name (MacKay) was the name of a former Cadillac dealership in suburban Pittsburgh. The Academy Gray with Black Vinyl Roof and Burgundy Leather looks classic. All the trim appears correct & present. Hopefully, this car will be rescued by a careful restorer before anymore damage is done to it. Of course, I love all those 67-78 Eldorados!

The 1967 Eldorado catalog and the Roy A. Schneider book, "Cadillacs of the Sixties" indicates that the standard seat was a two-way power seat in a Fleetwood Eldorado, and that is what the photo in the listing appears to me to depict. Optional on the Fleetwood Eldorado was the "Seat Adjuster-Six-Way-Front" at $83.15--also offered was the "Seat Adjuster-Four-Way-Drivers Bucket Seat" at $52.65--(and head rests were offered at $52.65). While checking on that trivia, the actual colors shown were called "Summit Gray" and "Maroon Leather" with "Black Padded Vinyl Roof." What choices! What prices! What a Milestone Classic!

Andrew 10642

Given the horrible condition of the body, and the massive rust that has to be under the top, the buyer paid too much for the market.  My 67 Eldo that I sold in 1998 had fist-size holes where the emblems punch through the sail panel when I first bought it. You couldnt tell that there was nothing but rust underneath.

Color combo is nice, but condition is all.  My car had 91K when I bought it in 91, sold later with an additional 25,000 miles and $10,000 invested.  Prices have gone up, but this auction was nuts.  People pay too much for low mileage examples, as cars still require complete restoration if they havent moved mechanically for 20 + years.  I wouldnt be surprised if the seller reneged on the purchase.  Sellers answer to questions were not quantifiable "runs great"  means nothing legally, other than the car moves under its own power.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Andrew,

I understand totally what you say, and most people just dont realise that it is far better to have a car with a lot of miles on it than an unused one.

This car looks like it will have major hidden under-surface rust as well, even though it is a low mileage one.   And, everything internally will need reconditioning if it is intended to be driven.

It doesnt cost much these days to just "hop" across to personally look at what could be an expensive investment.   Hey, when I find my future 72 Eldorado Convertible, I will be "Hopping" across from Tasmania to personally check it out, unless it is really cheap and a bargain.   It isnt that I dont trust anyone else, but it will be my own money that I will be spending.

The money spent getting there, could really be money saved if it turns out to be a "rusting" can-o-worms.   And, believe me, Americans have a different perspective to rust than Australians.

From the look of the hood rusting, I wouldnt be surprised if the car wasnt covered by a Car Cover, (the "blue tarp of death") as I call it, as I have seen the same effects in the past.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV  

Andrew 10642

Bruce,

Your certainly correct that "serious rust" to someone in the northeastern U.S. (like Ohio, where Im located) is a lot different than low humidity locations in or west of the Rockies, where any rust makes the car a junker to the locals. Always amazed me when Id see 30 year old 1st generation Japanese cars like Hondas or Datsun B210s running around northern California worn but without rust.  The only advantage the Midwest has regarding the aging process is low UV damage.

Also, at the risk of hijacking the thread, why do you like the 72 Eldo Convertible out of the 71-76 series?  I love the 1st generation 67-70 coupe, and like the earlier (71-73)convertibles, because the bumpers dont require the plastic extensions, gotta love the fake windsplit thingy, the engines arent as smog gear choked, and they just look cool.  The later 74-76 model has a dash I like, with the upper level information center, but exterior styling is more important to me.

Anyway, it seems the price of these cars has finally started to climb out of the toilet.  You couldnt give them away for a while, and even recently I found a 76 Eldo f.i. convertible locally for $5000 that was actually in decent shape, as it just needed new fender extensions, and a little cleaning.  Interior was decent, triple blue with a new top.

Of course, I dont pay attention to my own advice regarding rust, as I bought a "cheap" Volvo 1800ES with serious rust that I would have been further ahead to buy a much nicer rust-free model.  Who else will love a bright orange finned vehicle with rust?  I am trying to convince myself that I will learn how to do bodywork.  Porter is inspiring in this area, but whenever I get to start this project, he would wisely disavow all responsibilty, even if only by serving as a good example!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Andrew,

In Southern and Central Tasmania, we dont have the rustatious problems that other areas have, and Australia as a whole is good in that respect.   The onle thing that Salt is used for over here is putting on the Nuclear Potatoes (fishionchips).

Many early Daddos, Toyotas and minis are still running around the streets, and it isnt uncommon to see cars of the 50s and 60s being used as everyday modes of transport.

As far as why I prefer the 72 Eldo, well:

(1)  By 72, most or all of the bugs from the "New Model" (71) had been ironed out,
(2)  The "vented" trunk lid was replaced with a plain one,
(3)  I have the Original Fisher Body and GM Workshop Manuals,
(4)  I have the correct year rego plates for it (BR-1972)
(5)  I had a 72 Eldo Coupe.
(6)  The last year of the "Side Vents"
(7)  The bragging rights of the 8.2 Litre badge for all to see.

There is nothing like seeing a snoozer in a piece of Asian crap driving a car with heaps of letters on the back that says their car is a 24 valve this, with a 1.8 Litre this, and numerous letters designating how high up the pecking order their car is, and look at his, or their faces when their gaze stops at the 8.2 Litre badge on the front fender.

Then, to add insult to injury, leaving then in the smoke generated from the front wheels.   Pure heaven, in Gods Country.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

George

Asian "crap" right on Bruce. Someone at last summed them up.

Dick Heller

Stand corrected; the two-way seat was probably complemented by roll down rear windows.

Dick

Quote from: Rich Sullivan CLC #11473
Quote from: Dick Hellersix-way bench was standard equipment.  Paint job will run 5-10 grand.  a lot of change.

The 1967 Eldorado catalog and the Roy A. Schneider book, "Cadillacs of the Sixties" indicates that the standard seat was a two-way power seat in a Fleetwood Eldorado, and that is what the photo in the listing appears to me to depict. Optional on the Fleetwood Eldorado was the "Seat Adjuster-Six-Way-Front" at $83.15--also offered was the "Seat Adjuster-Four-Way-Drivers Bucket Seat" at $52.65--(and head rests were offered at $52.65). While checking on that trivia, the actual colors shown were called "Summit Gray" and "Maroon Leather" with "Black Padded Vinyl Roof." What choices! What prices! What a Milestone Classic!

Andrew 10642

Bruce,

Id always heard 71 Cadillacs had poor build quality, perhaps only the few good ones remain. . .  Never liked that rear deck lid vent though, very hideous

I will keep my eye open for the appropriate 72 Eldo, but, as Im sure you know, very rare.

Rod D. Olson CLC #15736

Hi, fellas!
Couldnt help jumping in on this one.
No matter what the car, if it has rust,crummy paint, bad upholstery or bad chrome; FORGET it.
Unless you are skilled in any of these restoration fields
you can almost do the entire mechanicals for the cost of a very nice paint job.
After $12K spent on a 51 Cadillac needing all of the above with
more to come I speak from experience.

As for the 1972 Eldorado; compared to a 69-70 Cadillac of any type they are terrible. At least mine was.
I traded in a 1970 Coupe DeVille for that Eldo and there was no comparison.
The 472 could run circles around that boat anchor 500.
The hood hinges never fit correctly so I had to push down on the drivers side corner all the time.
It was never happy with the inside grab strap bolts on those big doors and the car handled terrible, even with top notch radials on it. And that windshield mounted aerial was a poor substitute for the fender mounted one.
Overall, the build quality wasnt as good as my 70.
My 69 Sedan De Ville(the Sultan) was my favorite of these years.

In conclusion, that 67 has a lot of potential and if he loves it, go crazy. I wish him the best; just watch those CV joints.

Id like a triple black 68 myself.
Hope I didnt offend anyone.
Just my experience.

Rod O

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Thats okay Rod,

Jump in any time.

But, they didnt make a FWD Eldo Convertible before 71, I like the windscreen mounted antennae, and here in Tasmania, where radio reception isnt a problem, as one cant drive too far or one falls into the water.

The 500 is a "wow" factor, and can be swapped with a 70 500 very easily.

My 72 Eldo Coupe was a high mileage rusty one, but I was satisfied the way it handled.

To each his own.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Porter 21919

Rod

Your comments are well taken.

Since I am a nutcase and had a rusty 67 CDV low mileage (49K)  with a good engine offered to me for free I grabbed it. And it runs real good, better than my 89K mileage 66.

Now I am busy discovering how much damage the leaky rear window did to  the floor pans after removing the interior, very discouraging but I have fabricated new panels and welded them in under the rear seat, rebuilt the rear window frame, etc. just for starters. It will need rear qtr. patches, lower front fender patches, etc. I have a mig welder and sheetmetal is cheap. The frame is solid and the front end seems pretty good too, bumpers straight but the chrome is shot so they will get painted.

Funny thing is it was a Ca. car that ended up in Maine, the silly A.I.R. system has been removed by me. It will be a custom Rat Rod, better than scrap metal turned into a Honda.

When I rescued the car the rims where in the dirt and the weeds were high, check out http://www.modifiedcadillac.org TARGET=_blank>www.modifiedcadillac.org to see pictures of the 67 in the weeds.

Porter

Greg McDonnell CLC# 20841

Rod,

You mentioned in your post:

In conclusion, that 67 has a lot of potential and if he loves it, go crazy. I wish him the best; just watch those CV joints.

Id like a triple black 68 myself.
Hope I didnt offend anyone.
Just my experience.

For what its worth, there is a triple black 68 Eldo for sale in the publication, Old Cars Weekly.  If intereted, I can get you the phone number of the seller.

Greg McDonnell
66 and 68 Eldorados
(the 68 is almost fully optioned and is Topaz Gold Firemist with Sandalwood leather and a Sandalwood vinyl top)