News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1920 Cadillac Clutch

Started by Richard H, #21347, June 05, 2005, 08:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard H, #21347

Im seeking advice concerning clutch maintenance on a 1920 Cadillac that I acquired last year and have been slowly going through. Theres an occasional bad throw-out bearing type sound, especially in warm weather. When I pulled the floorboards and coverplate, it was clear that no one had been in there in a very long time. My questions are: What type and quantity of modern lubricant would be appropriate to use, and are there any proper procedures, as this looks like a pretty delicate job?

JIM CLC # 15000

06-05-05
Richard, some of the older cars had a zerk grease fiting on/for the throw out bearing, look closely, if it has one, its probably covered with dirt.
As for grease, ONE shot of what-ever is in your grease-gun.
If there is no Zerk, try to direct some aero-solspray lub-oil into the bearing, just be sure not to get it on the clutch or presure-plate, (the working surfaces).If it does get on the surfaces, spray on,or pour, some rubbing alcohol to remove the lub. But it sounds like it may be replacement-time
Good Luck, Jim

Richard H. #21347

Jim - This car has multi-plate clutch with a thrust bearing. I have only got a copy of the owners manual and a vertical section drawing of the clutch/gearbox assembly from Cad promotional literature of the time. The thrust bearing, accessed through the coverplate above, has a free-rotating outer ring containing a regular-head screw. The owners manual calls for fairly frequent lube, done carefully so as not to drop the screw, using a few drops of gearbox lube, itself a special type. I figured that there had to be something more modern I could put in there, as its the only thing lubed in the clutch assembly (I think). Not finding a grease-fitting on this ring probably means its been a long time... Certainly the floorboards had not been out in years, and they have to be out to get to the coverplate. So, Im still looking for a consensus of opinion (and Im not touching anything more until I have one). Thanks for your help.

JIM CLC # 15000

06-05-05
Richard, didnt know that it had the muli-plate clutch.
Is there an inspection cover at the bottom, for re-triving dropped screws, etc. I would think it would be a d### good idea to have a magnetic screw re-triver on hand, just in case the screw decided to go somewhere on its own. Or a magnetic screw-driver.
As for the lube. Try to find a service station lube-chart for that year.It should show the location where the lube goes. Dont know what year the big oli compancies started furnishing them to service-stations.
I had a 1998 JEEP Grand Cherochee and it required a syncitic (sic) lube in the diff.if touring a trailer. Found some at an auto-parts store, 85 or 90W, still light enought to put in a hand-pump oiler. Metal doesnt know how old-or-new the lube used.
As for the bearings and clutch disks, they can be re-built, if needed, and the bearings most likely can be matched-up at any good bearing supply store.
Do you live in or near a large-size city?
Try contacting some of the major-Brand oil compancies to see if they have access to some of the old charts, or, can give you some leads.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim

Richard H. #21347

Thanks, Jim. Youve given me much to chew on here. The screw in question looks to be brass (I havent checked) and shows some slot damage, so Im planning to be REALLY careful with a screwdriver with a gripping device. But first I have to get it to start to turn. There seems to be some sort of small fitting at the bottom of the housing, which Im going to try to remove. Doesnt look like it would leave much of an opening, though. Again, thanks.

JIM CLC # 15000

06-06-05
Richard, I put in my search engine (google)  automotive lube chart and came up with what looks like some good posibilities for you.

Cowboy Petes
PO. Box 1787
Chillicothe, OH 45601-5787 Automotive literature 1900-present. Books, owners manuals, service manuals, sales literature, wiring diagrams, paint chip charts, photo ads and tune-up charts.

The above listing shows some promise, as I think the old tune-up charts had items listed to be lubed, if it was part of the tune-up.

HTH
Good Luck, Jim