News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Yet another Ebay scam

Started by denise 20352, February 06, 2006, 10:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

This one isnt Ebays fault, though.

You get an email telling you that you won an item on Ebay, just as you do every time you win an auction.  Maybe it was something similar to something you bid on, but probably something that youve never seen before, much less bid on.  The description makes it clear that the seller accepts only Paypal, which was what immediately raised my suspicion.

If youre smart, you move your mouse over the links and watch the URLs in the bottom of your browser.  They dont go to Ebay.  I suspect that many people, though, would just click on the link, and I suspect that it asks for your Paypal password to pay for the item.

How do they know that your email is used for your Ebay account?  They dont.  They just send these out everywhere, and of course they are going to hit many people who use Ebay.

-d

Bob Benson

Send that scam to  spoofs@ebay.com  Ebay will reply stating it is a scam

Fred Garfield 22310

I always handle paypal payment in only 2 ways. I either click the "pay now" button on the item page (which I access from the "my ebay - items Ive won" list) OR I select the "pay now" option from the drop-down menu in the "my ebay - items Ive won" list. I never, ever pay through an email link of any kind. I just ignore those. In fact, I delete them as though they were junk mail -- the same goes for any email I get saying things like "your paypal account has been closed" or "your ebay bidding privileges may be revoked." Ive seen them all.