News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hey, Wall Street. Cadillac is still making a big sedan

Started by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397, September 14, 2006, 08:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I just read an article in Bloomberg about Wall Street preparing to deal with the upcoming discontinuation of the Lincoln Town car which they said is the favorite of Wall Streeters. The article went on to speculate that its place would be taken by the Mercury Grand Marquis or the Chrysler 300 and failed to mention the DTS which would be the most logical replacement particularly with regards to rear-seat legroom. Theres a new stretched 300 coming out which may equal the DTSs rear seat room, but the current one as well as the Grand Marquis both come up short in that department.

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Rusty, I remember... gosh... 30 years ago... when car enthusiasts felt like that.  The Cadillac was a luxury car for stars and famboyant people, the Neuvo Riche, and the Lincoln was old world luxury; hand crafted (at one time), special.. sophistocated and not for every rich person.  Descriminating.  Etc. Etc. Etc.

That is the image the 1962 -1968 certainly gives one.  I am not sure the 1957 -1961 were like that, although I think they are truly interesting.  Very 1950s like those gold flecked pink ceramic hour glass lamps with the gold armatures sticking out like some demonic Sputnik.  Wonderful!  Ugly, perhaps, but certainly interesting!

So maybe Wall Street sees Cadillac as more for the popular man, the up and coming CEO and the jazzy world jet setter?

Johnny #662

When speaking of Cadillacs, Lincolns and other "luxury" cars, one has to first define what is meant by luxury. From the 50s to the late 70s, it was pretty easy to do that.  Simply put, a luxury car was one the had the most "creature comforts", such as Power steering, Power brakes, Power windows, Power door locks, A/C etc. etc. etc. These options were usually only found on the high end models, Cadillac, Lincoln etc.  Not so any more.  I have 04 GMC envoy, basic model, no options except for power outside mirrors and puts to shame my 85 Eldorado as far as comfort options.

With price of a high end Chevy truck, almost at the same level as a basic Cadillac sedan, luxury isnt defined that much by price either.

Its really a matter of different models of automobiles filling a "niche".

Richard Sills - CLC #936

According to a trade publication, Lincoln is planning to introduce a model that will be the "successor" to the Town Car, but it will be a stretched version of a smaller car, and will have one of those alphabet-soup names.  I also read that Ford was developing a V-8 engine for this car, but decided to kill the project and limit the powerplant in this car to a V-6.  

Given the historic popularity of the Town Car, I dont understand why Ford would make these decisions, but maybe Cadillac should send them a thank-you note.

Bob CLC 22117

My understanding that Ford has not given up on the Towncar.  They will be moving the production form the Wixom plant to the St Thomas plant.  The St Thomas plant make the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis.  Mr Mulally must think that Ford can make money in that market.

Harry Carlson

I know this is a Cadillac discussion but I cant resist talking about Fords Crown Vic/Marquis/Town Car for a moment.  They havent given them a decent upgrade in 15 years.

I had a Marquis and that 4.6 liter they use is OK for an ordinary car but is just not enough power for an upscale automobile.

My 98 Deville with a Northstar rocked!  When I wanted to make that car move, it did.  Not like the Town Cars Ive rented on occasion.

Now I see Dodge is breaking in to the Police market with their Charger Hemi, selling it mostly because cops love big power under the hood.

Wake up, Ford!  

Dick Heller

Chevy made a big mistake dropping the Chevrolet Caprice; Ford picked up the cop car market with the Crown Vic.  If Ford drops the Town Car, explains hy Bill Ford kicked his own a.. upstairs out of operations.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

It was initially believed that Town Car production would be moved from Wixom to the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis plant in Canada, but Ford announced a couple of weeks or so ago that it would not be doing that. As Richard mentioned, its replacement, whether or not they call it Town Car, will be based on the FWD/AWD Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego which have a current-generation Volvo S-80 (a completely redesigned S-80 is about to be introduced) platform and a Ford V-6 engine. These cars have gotten lukewarm at best reviews from the automotive press due to bland styling and an underpowered V-6 engine (a large engine will be introduced in 2007). Their main attributes are a very spacious interior and a huge trunk (even bigger than the Town Car and Deville/DTS).So, I also think a thank-you note would be in order from Cadillac to Lincoln-Mercury Division. This is business handed to Cadillac in much the same way that Packard did in the 40s and 50s and Lincoln earlier did from time to time in the same decades with cars that were more competitors to Oldsmobile than Cadillac. In fact, Lincoln really didnt get their post-war act together until the beautiful 61 Continental came out.

Dick Heller

news quote............All those folks that were fond of the Lincoln Zephyr released last year will probably like the 2007 Lincoln MKZ. That’s because it’s virtually the exact same car. Lincoln recently decided to use a new naming convention across its entire line â€" besides the Navigator SUV â€" so the Zephyr has been re-dubbed MKZ

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

MKZ ... sounds like an Eastern European Secret Police agency.  Too bad, I was so happy to see Zephyr reused.  Ah well.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I liked the Zephyr name reincarnated, too. To make matters even more confusing, Lincoln first said that it was to be pronounced "Mark Z" and then changed it to "M K Z". Remember the Eldorado Etcetera (ETC)? Sure hope Cadillac doesnt want us to start pronouncing their current models as Cits (CTS),
Stits (STS), and Dits (DTS).

David #19063

The new Lincoln based on the 500/Montego will be called the MKS.  It will be the big brother to the MKZ.