News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Electrical Question

Started by Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693, January 12, 2007, 11:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Does anyone know or understand why in very cold weather, my turn signals, clock and heater fan would not work, but the headlights, backup lights and radio circuits do?

Eventually as the car warmed up the turn signals start working as does the fan and clock.  Is it the regulator?

I have a block warmer and battery tender plugged in for this cold weather.  I have no car cover yet, sadly.  

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Randall

Doug Houston

Wed need to know just how the harness in the car is made up, or at least, what connections go to the feed bus that feeds those circuits. My guess is that due to aging, there is some surface corrosion on a contact, perhaps in a fuse holder under the dash, and temperature only slightly causes the conection to come and go. Its one of those freak problems thats a SOB to chase down.

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Thank you, Doug.  As a matter of fact, the weak link is the headlight switch and from the wiring diagram, that would mean every connections from radio to tail lights feeds through that connections.  I am will to bet, due to a friend pointing the way, that the headlight switch is my problem.  One way to find out is to pull it, and either fix or replace it.

Thank you very much for your response!

Randall

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Hi Randall!

I doubt that the headlight switch as an influence on the clock, heater fan and directional lamps. Look again at the circuit diagram...Presently, I dont have my 56 shop manual. However, the 57 circuit diagram cannot be totally different and I see no relation between the headlight switch and the clock, etc.
Unfortunately, I have no answer to your question, except a bad contact somewhere. The regulator is certainly not in cause.

Dan S.

My 56 has occasional gremlins in the electrical circuit as well.  Pages 13-2 and 13-5 of the 56 Cadillac service manual will show you the fuses as well as the schmatic.  If you dont have a manual, get one!  They show up on ebay often.

The heater fan, turn signals, and clock are each on a separate fuesed circuit, so there is no relation between them (and no relation to your headlight switch for that matter).

On my car, most often it is a matter of getting a good ground connection at the device.

Good luck