News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible...body off photo

Started by Whit, September 13, 2014, 05:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

My '60 Eldorado Biarritz convertible came with exterior Champaign (paint code 97) with the Silver Beige leather interior (trim code 15...looks almost greenish)...and I don't care for either color. Since I'm doing a full 'frame off' and will re-do the interior anyway, is it a 'devaluing' Cardinal Sin to change exterior and interior color on an otherwise original car?

I would much rather go with code 50 (Pompeian Red) exterior and code 11 (Black) interior.

I would appreciate and comments and critiques.

Thank you     Whit

76eldo

Whit,

You will get responses ranging from keeping the car exact to the cowl plate to "It's your car, do whatever you want to do with it".

If I were you, I would look carefully at photos of other cars on the web to really make sure you are really going to be happy with that color combo.

Personally I would prefer a red and white interior as black is a bit subdued for all of the different lines and textures going on with an Eldo interior.

There is a beautiful silver paint color that looks great with a red interior OR a black interior.

Ultimately, whatever you choose, if you differ from the data plate it will make the car worth less to about 75% of the buyers out there.  I would expect to pay less for a car that is painted and upholstered differently than original, but the colors it came in are a bit blah.

You really should limit the pallet to an original 1960 Cadillac color if possible.  In CLC judging the cowl tag is not checked against the actual color on the car, but they will spot a completely inaccurate color.

It's your ride, so you decide.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

C.R. Patton II

Hello Whit

You have received good advice from Brian.

I would add that I did see a very similar color combination car in New York at our Grand National.  I found it attractive.  There is also a CLC member in Michigan, Dennis Dascenzo with a similar vehicle.  You may want to reach out to Dennis for pictures BEFORE you make the change.

You MUST be happy with the color of YOUR car.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Whit

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts...more to ponder...I'll look at a lot of photos...whatever I decide, I will keep to the original color codes for that model.

Whit

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Excellent comments from both Brian & CR Patton.

As to whether altering the original color scheme will result in devaluation is also very difficult to answer. It all depends on who the buyer is but I will say certain colors will have more "curb" appeal than others, and likely override the fact that it's been changed, as a result.

IMO - the most fetching scheme for the car would be black over black with red leather...but that's just me.  ;)

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

dolph4golf

Whit,

Funny how the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence! My 1960 happens to be the color combo you are interested in changing to. Original 11b interior still in the car. While I love the combination, I think the Heather Poly (purple) exterior with white interior is the best combo I have seen on any Cadillac of any year. There is a nice one on ebay at the moment if you have a cool 295K to spend. lol
Randolph Hane
clc# 22326
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
1953 Eldorado #66
1953 Eldorado #513
1958 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Eldorado Biarritz
1982 Coupe Deville
2004 Deville
2009 XLR

59-in-pieces

Whit,
All previous postings have each had good bits to offer.
This topic has raged for years - what I like vs what is OEM.
IMHO, unless you are a strict purist of the OEM color offerings, I would go with your gut = what makes you happy.
After all, you will be driving the car for years and every time the garage door goes up, and your car greats, you should have a renewed spark of excitement.
Because at the end of the day, when you go to sell the car, those who look at it will react with their gut - just as you did.
When I bought my car, it was for me.  I did not have an eye on having it judged, nor selling it to someone else in the future.
If YOU don't like it NOW, you won't like it over time.  It's tough to get over ugly.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

gary griffin

As said above it is your car to do what you want to do.  I faced this while restoring my 1942  6719, and decided to paint it Antoinette Blue which was the original color but I am doing my upholstery in Light Blue wool broadcloth which was one of the two original choices as I did not care for the tan original interior. 

If you are interested in judging at CLC functions I think as long as they are original colors they accept them without penalties or loss of points
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

jonas.eliasson

GOOD this queston came up i was to post the same but on a 59 biarritz
doing a full frame off on a 59 biarritz to as perfect as i can, i been saving a lot of nos parts to this resto
on plate its white whith black interior,i know a frame off eldo is hi dollar if done right so you think out there i lower the value if i dont go by the plate on color combo???
JONAS
jonas eliasson

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only people that will go for the original colour, are the restorers, collectors and the re-sellers that want to make the most out of a Numbers-matching car.

That is why the Factory offered so many colours when new.   Some people want a colour, but cannot get a car in the right colour, as everyone else has them, so that is why "Re-sale Red" is so popular.

If it was a Corvette, or another Muscle Car, then that is a different matter, as a lot of these folk will accept any colour, so long as all the Numbers Match.

Guys like me, want a driver, and Numbers-matching is not a requirement, nice to brag about, but by the time I get to own anything, it has gone through many owners, and lots on repairs.

Having said that, I was extremely lucky to get my Numbers-matching, fully optioned '72 Eldorado Convertible in 2007, off ebay.   But, the roof is not original, and now, I have changed the worn out interior, built a warmer engine using another block, fitted aftermaket wheels, and added a Continental Kit.   But, I like it, and have no plans of selling it.

Heck, some people even cut roofs off '59 CDV's and make them into Convertibles.

Bruce >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Whit

Thanks to all for great insight and advice. One thing for sure, I will stay with an original code color for both exterior and interior. The photo posted by Randolph Hane in the color combination I'm leaning toward is seductive indeed. That would be hard to pass up.

I am not a 'purist', but I also realize that I won't own this car forever and I don't want to tarnish it's history in a way I might regret. I'm leaning toward Randolph's color combination, but I have some time yet to ponder. I will look on line at a lot of '59s and '60s to get a better feel for what seems right to me.

It is great to have this Forum of experienced folks to gain some input. Hopefully someday I will have enough experience with my Biarritz to help some others.

Whit

INTMD8

The decision for a color change during a restoration comes down to a few different things. If the original color combination was undesirable than I think changing to something more well liked can increase the value. (Of course if the car had nice original paint I would never do a color change no matter what it was). When you're down to bare metal however I think that changes things.

The colors on the car are there because that was the preference of the original customer or ordering dealer. To change the color combination to another that was available that year doesn't detract from anything in my opinion.

Dan LeBlanc

1960 was the first year for the Pompeiian red and looks beautiful if done spot on.  With a black interior and top, would be dead sexy in my book.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Whit

Again...thanks for the color change input. Attached is the latest photo(s) of the frame ready for engine and tranny removal. lots of work left to do.

Whit

veesixteen

I've had both the 1960 "Biarritz" and "Seville". The "Seville" was all original (color: "Heather metallic") and still on air ride. I left it that way. The "Biarritz" had been repainted a non-original "Baby Blue" by one of the previous owners; I returned it to the original "Siena Rose". 

I would definitely repaint it the original "Champagne Gold" color. It will WOW the crowds just as much as "prize-winning" red - and possibly even MORE. 

Just my 2 cents.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Whit

Thanks for your input...decisions...decisions...decisions...

Whit