News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Laurance

Fascinating information!

While most aspects of the information included in the paperwork seem possible, the comments about 10-inch extensions to both the front fenders / hood and rear fenders leave me curious.  The side profile images of the car do not persuade me that the car is any longer than a standard '61 Eldorado.  Do you agree?

N Kahn

I think that a lot of the info is incorrect, it certainly isn't the first convertible with air conditioning. The front fenders do appear to be a smidge longer than stock, I wish I had a regular Caddy to compare it to, but the back end for sure isn't any longer.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As far as I can see, the only difference in the front fenders is that the "skeg" begins much closer to the wheel opening than on stock 61/62 fenders. Obviously this had been done to provide to "break" between upper & lower part of the skeg for the special lower side trim. There is no way the fenders, or even the entire car is 10" longer than a stock 1961/1962 Cadillac. That would mean the car is 232" overall or 1" longer than a standard 1976 Cadillac.

*If you wish I could measure my front fenders- when I get it back. (It's out for upper control arm bushings)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

N Kahn

Quote from: ericdev on September 21, 2012, 03:13:03 PM
As far as I can see, the only difference in the front fenders is that the "skeg" begins much closer to the wheel opening than on stock 61/62 fenders. Obviously this had been done to provide to "break" between upper & lower part of the skeg for the special lower side trim. There is no way the fenders, or even the entire car is 10" longer than a stock 1961/1962 Cadillac. That would mean the car is 232" overall or 1" longer than a standard 1976 Cadillac.

*If you wish I could measure my front fenders- when I get it back. (It's out for upper control arm bushings)

That would be great, thanks. I'm gonna go home and rebuild the front end on my El Camino, I'm putting dropped spindles and disc brakes on it too.

76eldo

Just curious, What is a "regular" 61 Eldorado convertible worth in decent driver condition.  Nice interior, decent chrome, weak paint, running car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

N Kahn

I dunno, $20-30 Gs, there weren't many made, I think 1450 or so but there really isn't much difference between it and a series 62.

Quote from: 76eldo on September 21, 2012, 06:02:32 PM
Just curious, What is a "regular" 61 Eldorado convertible worth in decent driver condition.  Nice interior, decent chrome, weak paint, running car.

Brian

OCPG puts a #4 '61 Biarritz at $8,200; #3 at $18,450. A member of another Cadillac webpage paid $10K for a #4 '62 Biarritz last year.

N Kahn

I repaired the aluminum rocker molding that was bent, I also touched up the areas where the paint was blistering on the wheel arches. It looks pretty good and blends well with the rest of the car. It isn't perfect by any means but it's what needed to be done for what's in store for the car.
I'm waiting on my water pump so I can really drive her.

Series75

Nice work!  Say looking at the pics a little closer, are those lower skegs on the front fenders bolted on?  They look like the ones on my 1961 Limo.  Second, has the steering wheel been painted gold with wear off on the facing edge.  Just curious how this cool car was put together.   BTW, those aluminium lower panels look similar to ones that were installed by Hearse / Flower car producers like Superior, M&M etc.  Maybe the source for new panels for you.  Thanks for the constant updates, we've not seen something like this before.  Tom CLC#6866

N Kahn

Quote from: Series75 on September 26, 2012, 05:26:57 PM
Nice work!  Say looking at the pics a little closer, are those lower skegs on the front fenders bolted on?  They look like the ones on my 1961 Limo.  Second, has the steering wheel been painted gold with wear off on the facing edge.  Just curious how this cool car was put together.   BTW, those aluminium lower panels look similar to ones that were installed by Hearse / Flower car producers like Superior, M&M etc.  Maybe the source for new panels for you.  Thanks for the constant updates, we've not seen something like this before.  Tom CLC#6866

I don't the skegs are bolted on, there's no way of knowing unless I pull the aluminum panels off, I don't think those panels were screwed on either, I think that was done in later years, it looks terrible, there must be some sort of clip holding them on from behind. The flower cars and hearses all had longer wheelbases, right? I think they're made just for this car.

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern made for the under fender moldings to cast a new pair in aluminum? I have the passenger side only, it's rough but there's enough left to build it up with bondo and use it as a mold, but I'm stumped as to how to make a left side from that.

Series75

Exactly my point, maybe if you reach to the Professional Car Society club they can locate aluminum panels (nos?) which would certainly be longer for CC vehicles but could be cut down to fit.
As far as those lower front fender fins, is there a line between the fin (skeg) and the fender, could you slip a piece of paper in between?  Curiious  thx  Tom CLC#6866

Glen

I remember a ‘61 in the junkyard many years ago that was a Fleetwood or 75 series that had 1960 front fenders and the skeg was bolted on like the poster above is asking about.  Looked like they had too many 60 fenders left over and used them on the big car series.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

I'm a bit confused. Skegs cannot be unbolted and the only 1960 Cadillac that has them is the Eldorado Brougham. Exactly what part is being referred to here?

N Kahn

The skegs aren't bolted on, they are part of the fender, they have been extended to the very end of the fender to accommodate the aluminum trim.
I've never seen trim like this on a professional car, I looked at many photos on the web.

That's correct- those fenders are unique to that car. The forward location of the skegs was one of the first things I noticed about it. I assuming the others were confusing the term "skeg" with the lower body side trim which of course, is removable.

rwchatham CLC 21892

So did the build sheet come back with any special designation?
R. Waligora

N Kahn

Way more than that Ray, it is the factory car, I just got pics from GM, it was originally designated the Le Mans, later changed to Eldorado, it had a different grille, more like a 1961 then it was changed for the Chicago show, it also had single whitewall tires.
I'm beyond ecstatic.
I'm trying to convert the PDF files into jpeg to show you definitive proof about what car # 50115 is and its place in Cadillac history. I have much more to share but it will have to wait.

rwchatham CLC 21892

Wow that is amazing! A little confused why the numbers were not used in the body tag though. Does the time frame match up for when car 554 was built and when they made the lemans?
R. Waligora

N Kahn

The car was built in November, modified thereafter and shown in February of 1962.

I take it the GM Heritage inquiry bore fruit in abundance. Truly remarkable. Looking forward to hearing the entire report.