News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado ebay

Started by 59eldorado, December 30, 2014, 03:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

59eldorado

1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2017 CT6

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looking at the speil of the seller, the following concerns me.

- A/C BLOWS BUT NOT VERy COLD
The AC will need completely overhauling as it will be unknown as to how long it has not been working, and therefore will require a new Drier, TX Valve and possibly a new Compressor, as it would need converting to R134a if R12 is not available in your area, plus, if the AC lines are looking old, they will need replacing, as the R12 hoses are porous to R134a gas.

- POWER TOP MECHANISM HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED AND THE TOP IS CONTROLLED MANUALLY
Expect to have to replace the hydraulic cylinders, and or the hydraulic pump/motor, as there has to be a very good reason why the pistons were disconnected in the first place.

And lastly
-WE DO NOT RECOMMEND DRIVING A CLASSIC CAR HOME.
Doesn't sound too good when a supposed perfect vehicle shouldn't be driven.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The photo viewer is terrible - it only allows enlargement to such a limited degree making important close up/detail viewing extremely difficult to practically impossible.

This alone sends up red flags for me - big time.

A few discernible items that I did notice:

The trunk compartment appears to have been reupholstered with incorrect material.

Fuel filler door appears to be missing.

Lower steering column cover appears to have been repainted - the color does not match the upper possibly indicating the entire lower dash had been repainted as well.

Black paint is blistered/flecked off from the dash faceplate below the speedometer.

The interior does appear to be original but exhibits a fair amount of wear/aging - which is entirely consistent in an original interior of convertible of this age with mileage in the 90s.

However, the one significant item which has been materially misrepresented is the claim (or implication, at least) is that of all original paint with which is absolutely not the case - as witnessed by the grey primer showing underneath where the paint had flecked away on the lower left front fender.

Not only does original paint not deteriorate like that, but grey primer was NOT used by the factory in cars of this era. Original primer is a dark red-orange terra cotta color and I can almost guarantee the entire vehicle was the subject of a full repaint.

This is not to condemn the car, but I would never feel comfortable pulling the trigger on this one without a thorough, close up, in-person inspection based on what little can be seen in this presentation, especially when taken with the misrepresentations about the vehicle - whether knowingly or unknowingly made.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

In addition to what Eric has already mentioned, I'm also quite skeptical of this car.

The body tag in the description calls out Jade, however, the car appears to be more Nautilus Blue than Jade.  There is also the missing Biarritz emblem on the driver's fender, plus the chrome trim for the rear seat heater outlets present only on bucket seat cars appears to be missing.  The interior is wayyy too blue to be the turquoise called out on the body tag in the description also.  There are also missing vacuum hoses from the a/c mode units under the hood.  I'd be tending to side with Bruce that the a/c system needs more than a charge.  Just by turning the system on will engage the clutch on the compressor in these cars as there is no pressure switch to prevent it. 

I think that for where the bidding is at right now, that is more than all the money for this car.  A better example could be had for slightly more.  The description has a buy-it-now of $48,500.  A pristine example of a 61 Eldorado can be had for less than this car with all its issues.

It'll be for sale for awhile.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car