News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

4.1 information

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, March 14, 2015, 01:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Barry,

The '80-'85 Seville is a beautiful body style -- you may want to take a look at the one Jeff Shively is advertising, with the Buick-sourced V-6 motor.  While it won't win drag races, I don't ever recall hearing about reliability problems with the V-6.

Richard

cadillactim

It's my car, but someone has a 1980 Seville in the Atlanta area for $3500. Looks okay, 85K miles.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4932687623.html
Tim Groves

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Richard, the Seville should be in my garage within a month. It needed the cooling system looked at and one of the windows fell off track. Tim, I hit the send button too quickly, and so thanks for the heads up, but see the sentence above.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

black396

How difficult is it to swap the 4100 for a DX diesel in an 85 Eldo?

Charles

Scot Minesinger

Why not install the 1979 gas 350 engine or modern derivative thereof (would LT1 fit?)?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Quote from: black396 on March 23, 2015, 02:19:11 PMHow difficult is it to swap the 4100 for a DX diesel in an 85 Eldo?

I don't think I have ever seen that question asked before.   Getting rid of a 4100 yes but in favor of a diesel?  Thats different.  I currently have 2 E body diesels.

First question is why?   Not why as in its a stupid idea,  why as in what do you expect out of this car if you do this conversion? 

Do you own the 85 Eldorado now?  Is the 4100 sick or dead?   Do you have some sentimental attachment to this specific car?

Do you currently own or have you owned any diesels?   

Can you and or your friends and or family do this sort of work or will you have to pay someone?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In my humble view, conversion of a gasoline powered car to diesel would be a great misuse of resources and talent.

Far more productive to channel that energy into taking a good and serviceable vehicle to the next level.

Not to be critical but most any car whose engine has been transplanted with anything other than which installed at time of manufacture will have major consequences on the car's long term prospects of collectability and appreciation potential.

While this may not be of concern, anyone contemplating such a prospect should do so with eyes wide open.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

Since the diesel was based on the Olds 350, you would still need to get all of the required parts from a 1980 or 81 Eldo to make it fit, then tackle the electronic issues.  By the way, most of the diesel cars were traded in quickly because people really hated the noise and the smell.  They were wholesaled and mechanics bought them and dropped in ..............................drum roll..................................................Olds 350's.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

You don't need 80 or 81 Eldo parts unless you are trying to install a 472/500/425/368.   Any 79-85 E body that has an Olds motor gas or diesel will do to get you the FWD specific parts you need.   Ideally you also would like to have a diesel transmission too.  The diesel transmissions had a different 'tune' in them than the gas ones plus a different torque converter.    Most Toronados got Olds engines.  Later Rivs did too.  Early Eldo's.  Not many Seville's got Olds gas but there were a bunch of diesels since it was their standard motor.   The diesel was an option for the whole run of that gen E's 79-85.   Parts you need are engine mounts, right drive shaft extension and its bracket,  Oil pan, oil pick up tube, and exhaust manifolds. 

IF you really want a diesel Eldo it would likely be way easier and cheaper to find one that came that way.   They do seem to come up for sail fairly regularly.   

What part of the world are you in?   I have an 80 that hit a deer but still was running good.   It had some oil leaks but those are easy to fix with the engine out of the car.   I also parted out another 80 so I have a lot of diesel parts.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason