News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1949 Series 62 Front Springs

Started by loburkhart, May 13, 2024, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loburkhart

I have set of installed front springs on a 49 Cadillac Series 62 that are not seated properly in the control arm base. I'm not certain that the installed springs are in fact the correct part....the car was a restoration prior to my purchase.
The coils of the springs....both left and right sides, are not uniformly spaced.  In one area on each of the springs there is a wider gap in the coil spacing on one side and on the opposite side of the gap, the coils are completely compressed.  SEE PHOTOS . I have not seen this configuration in any of my online searches.
Has anyone seen this spring configuration.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to correct my problem but just wanted to first ensure I'm dealing with the correct springs.  It appears that having the gap/compressed area in the springs actually helps to align the spring to the top and bottom seating areas. EG: Provides a slight bend in the springs.

You can see from the photos the coils are not seated in the base and appear to be way out of alignment.
I saw another post here that suggested using a floor jack under the control arms to compress the springs enough to remove the control arm retaining hardware and then lowering the arms with the jack to release the spring tension.  I think that may be the best approach (in theory).  Any suggestions on getting the springs aligned top and bottom. It appears the spring retaining bases are offset vertically... requiring that the springs be somewhat bent to fit properly.

I appreciate any ideas and help.
Thank you , Larry

Cadman-iac

Larry  your pictures didn't post for some reason. Can you try again?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

loburkhart

Hopefully the photos will post now.  Thanks

Cadman-iac

It appears as if someone had tried to either lower the car or had installed the wrong springs in it and tried to get the ride height correct by heating the coil loops.
You definitely are in need of the right set of springs.

Here's what I've got in my 56, different year, but the same design suspension.

20240513_143710.jpg

20240513_143508.jpg

Now the lower control arm on mine has been shaped to match the end of the spring, the second picture shows the spring upside down for clarity.
The top of my springs are flat to match the upper pockets in the crossmember.

It appears that your lower control arms have a completely flat pocket, suggesting that the springs should have a flat surface on that end as well.
I'm not familiar with the 49, so you might want someone else that is familiar with that year to chime in here.
But that's what I see in your pictures.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Joe Jensen

Larry:

Here are pictures of the front springs on my 1949 6207.  I believe these are stock but I can't say for certain.

Your springs are definitely very different and I agree, someone heated them to lower the front end.

Good luck!
Joe

loburkhart

Thank you both very much for your help and photos.  I'll get some springs on order and go from there.

Larry

Jay Friedman

Make sure when you install the new springs to also install new rubber coil spring insulator pads from Steele Rubber Products.  Their part number is 70-0801-32.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

SaltLife97