News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where to buy replacement coffee can

Started by Cadillac George, March 21, 2024, 07:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac George

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a new can?  Or should I just take it off and paint it.  Also what does the silver unit, that someone pried open do?  Can I replace it.  The car is a 1966 Coupe de Ville.  It was in a garage for 20 years, got it running but working the bugs!  Thanks for your assistance. 

Cadillac George

Sorry, I guess the picture was not attached in my last post. 

V63

I would clean and paint the bean can.  ReSeal the vacuum port, verify its vacuum storage. The saucer disc can was a vacuum operated control for HVAC.

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

Yep-- that can CAN create  subtle vacuum leaks and cause your engine to idle rough.  The can stores vacuum for various appliances when the engine is off.  I had one fail on my 65 CDV WAY back in the 70's... the bottom of the can developed a crack along the seam from the constant flexing created by variations of internal/external pressures.  If you don't already own one, purchase a vacuum gauge and read up on just how important this gauge is as a diagnostic tool.   Hope this helps,  James

dn010

Do you have a better picture of the "silver unit, that someone pried open" for us to see?
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

TJ Hopland

There is usually a check valve involved somewhere so there is a chance that is the problem.  The ones I have worked on (not Cad specifically) the inside of the can didn't appear to have any sort of coating on it or if it did it had deteriorated so they rust inside out.  Ford used them into the 90's so that may be a source for something similar looking. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have one from a '66 SDV that I parted out many years ago.

Postage would be a killer though.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac George

Thanks for your replies.  I will get a better picture of the pried open part this week.  Plan to remove the can, check it for leaks and paint it.