News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hard to start '46

Started by pcb50, February 18, 2013, 11:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcb50

Gentlemen, I hope someone can explain this car's starting habit. When I got it last year it would start okay but lately will not without a shot of carb cleaner. It will fire momentarily when cold, foot off the pedal or choke set, makes no difference. Then only cranks with no start, not even a stumble. I give it a shot down the throat and it fires right up. I can go drive it, but will not re-fire, hot or cold, without a squirt. Have I spoiled it? I put new gas in last week, made no difference. BTW, living in Il. means no ethanol-free fuel to be found. I have a new battery with new 00 cables with the ground to the starter end plate. I don't think it is starter or state-of-tune related by the way it starts with a shot and runs. Thoughts please? Thank you. Paul.
1946 62 sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Paul: The first thing I would look at is the choke. With a cold engine and with the air cleaner removed, using your hand, pull back on the accelerator arm at the carb to set your choke as well as the fast idle. Is the choke valve closed? If not loosen the 3 set screws on the side plate of the choke and move the plate so that it just closes the choke valve. Then tighten the 3 screws. Now try to start the car. If it fires right up and holds a fast idle you have correctly set the choke. If it fires but doesn`t keep running then enlist some help. With someone pushing the starter button,you then manually use the choke linkage once it fires to keep it running. It might be that you will need to increase or decrease the rich setting on the choke by resetting the choke side plate.
   The use of a starter fluid to start a car is something that needs to be carefully used, if at all. I have a friend who had just put starter fluid in the top end of the carb while someone was pushing the starter button. The car back fired and my friend who was still too close to the carb, got burned on the face and neck.  We all say that will never happen to me but being frustrated by a car not starting, can cloud our thinking.        Bill

47bigcadillac

I had similar starting issues on my 1947 - turned out to be the carb float which was not at the correct position.
Maybe due to a change in fuel type or bent brass.

Float level is very easy to check without removing anything but the flat screw on the side of the carb.
The top level of the gasoline in the float chamber needs to be exactly at the bottom of the hole opening of that screw - while at idle and level.

R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

Jay Friedman

I would also check the initial distributor advance with a timing light.  If it is too "advanced" this type of difficulty with starting can result.  A friend's '41 had this problem, which was cured when we retarded the initial advance.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

pcb50

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions. Sounds like a tune up is in order. I have not baselined the engine since i got the car and this will be the next step. I will report the results. Again thank you. Paul.
1946 62 sedan

wayne thompson

It is definitely in your fuel system.  Check for fuel pressure to the carb. If that is good rebuild the carb. If it doesn't crank when it is hot means the choke is not the problem. Inever use starting fluid. It makes an overhead valve engine do some loud pinging. The last time I used it I bent a push rod. I now use a little gas to check for a fuel problem.
Wayne Thompson