News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Seam Sealer Education

Started by Clewisiii, April 20, 2024, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I am going to need an education on the do's and dont's of seam sealer in body work.

I am almost at a paint that I need to think about it. What can you tell me about application locations, thickness, and surface prep.

I assume door Hem seal, firewall at body edges.

Any thoughts or pointers.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Moody

Not knowing your car, I don't know how far you've gone with your bodywork. The number one thing I would suggest is to use two part seam sealers. For drip rails, you'll want a flowing self leveling seam sealer. For other parts a standard spreadable sealer would work best. There are loads of videos online showing how to apply these. The factory went nuts with most seam sealer, but a small amount usually works best. Be sure to prime any bare metal first, and go slow with applying to achieve a nice job.
Moody

Eldovert

Hi Carl,
Check out this YT video on seam sealer application...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5ml4eauIE

Cheers,Pat MacPhail

59-in-pieces

Pat,

That was a great video on how to do a top notch job.

Now looking back on how I did my car, shabby.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

The Tassie Devil(le)

A lot different to the Seam Sealer that I have.   It came in a 1 Pint can and is messy to apply.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon