News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Goodbye & thanks.

Started by Seville Life, April 18, 2024, 10:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seville Life

I'm just saying goodbye and thanks for a lot of fun and advice, I hope I've been able to help some of you?

I can't use the forum any longer unless I join the CLC. I don't wish to do so, doubly by being pushed into joining.

I don't understand why those that run the Club have done this?

Best to all. Paul
Paul Bedford

Clewisiii

I have been trying to avoid saying anything about it. Since I have been apart of several forums that have ended I do not take it personally. And the last were free to me.

I am a paying member here and once I became a paying member my expectations for customer service is different from when it was free.

But this approach to me is to much like a decision someone from Jersey would make.

Your not in the union your out.
That picture isn't a Cadillac. That is not our union your out.

"I have a problem"
Doesn't matter the union has decided for you.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

SaltLife97

I agree my friend. It has been a privilege serving with you people. But fortunately I have nearly completed my restoration of my Caddy after much help from this forum so alas I shall not be needing its help no longer anyway. But as a 27 year old I was so hoping to share my newfound wisdom and experience if anyone needed it. For free. Anyway, cheerio... :-X 

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Clewisiii on April 18, 2024, 10:40:35 AMI am a paying member here and once I became a paying member my expectations for customer service is different from when it was free

Yup.  Me too.  How many others? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

IMHO this change will probably accelerate the decline in membership, given newbies will no longer have a gateway for discussion and information about their Cadillac issues
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

MultipleCaddies

The question is, for those who stand to gain from what they think will be some additional income from new memberships: Is that small amount of additional money you will get worth the decline of the forum? That WILL be the end result. For every person who speaks up and says they will leave, there are many others who will do so quietly or will never even register in the first place.

This is incredibly short-sighted and backwards thinking, whoever came up with this scheme.

David King (kz78hy)

This thread should be moved to the general area.  Nothing to fix here other than club policy and plenty of opinions regarding that flowing at the moment.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

kyle242gt

Opportune place to say my goodbyes as well. Didn't help that I've got kind of an orphan (late sixties doesn't get the same love), and it's a hacked-up lowrider project. 

Thanks to those who have helped me, and a tip of the hat to the people I've helped.  Happy motoring!
Kyle Hage
1967 Coupe DeVille

marty55cdv

Its 25.00 a YEAR not a month.  Two people can't eat at Mcdonalds one time for that.  >:( 
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

35-709

I'm not happy with this decision either, I think it is a mistake too.  But --- $25.00 a year --- less than $2.10 a month to support this club which has given many/most/all of us so much information, knowledge, guidance and camaraderie?   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

60eldo

You guys who dont want to 25 bucks a year. Are you kidding me? I wood gladly pay 200.00 a year for the help and knowledge they have given me. Ostigese,,,,  thats Polish for   YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF. Go eat a chiken leg,,,,,,BYEEEEE
Jon. Kluczynski

Carfreak

Quote from: 60eldo on April 18, 2024, 09:45:59 PMYou guys who dont want to 25 bucks a year.

And with the Exchange Rate US$25 is something like $200 Canadian these days. 

Just kidding. I have a lot of Polish and Canadian relatives & friends.  :)
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: marty55cdv on April 18, 2024, 02:18:55 PMIts 25.00 a YEAR not a month.  Two people can't eat at Mcdonalds one time for that.  >:( 

Doesn't matter if it was $25 for a lifetime membership. The people making comparisons to McDonald's meals and other nonsense are all willfully missing the point.

MultipleCaddies

Quote from: 60eldo on April 18, 2024, 09:45:59 PMYou guys who dont want to 25 bucks a year. Are you kidding me? I wood gladly pay 200.00 a year for the help and knowledge they have given me. Ostigese,,,,  thats Polish for   YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF. Go eat a chiken leg,,,,,,BYEEEEE

It is this kind if entitled attitude that drives forums into the ground. EXPECTING people to contribute when that is not how it's done anywhere else is a mistake and will drive people away. Doesn't matter whether or not you're willing to contribute, it only matters if the masses are, and the people of the internet have proven time and time again that they are not when it comes to posting on forums. Like it or not, that IS the way it is.

David Greenburg

I've been a member for many years. long before the forum existed. I joined in my mid-twenties, close to 40 years ago (yikes), and I always felt like it was a good value, even back then, when dues were $25 IIRC for a membership, including mailed Self-Starter. That makes it a screaming deal now in comparison to the inflated cost of everything else, including our cars.

But I certainly see the benefit of having the forum open to non-members, both as a way to get new members/increase interest, and also to get the benefit of cars and parts for sale by non-members. Over the years I have bought and sold a bunch of parts, and also bought a car off the forum, although the majority of those transactions, including the car, were with fellow members.

I think one issue is that many of the "powers that be" in the Club are not on the forum as far as I can tell, and may not fully appreciate it. Hopefully that will change as some of the new "forum-friendly" board members come in.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

druby

A huge mistake by the club for not allowing non members post and give advice and their knowledge concerning Cadillac's & LaSalle's !!!!! Who brought this idea before the board to vote on, who was the person that got the ball rolling on this idea ? Somebody put this idea in front of the board to vote on !!!!! I know, it's a "secret society" and we choose not to disclose that information.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

druby

Jason Edge, VP CLC
 I'm asking you as a board member and me as a Director of a region who put the item of "not allowing non-members to post on the forum" in front of the board to vote on, and we're ALL board members in favor of this idea ?
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Carfreak

Quote from: druby on April 18, 2024, 11:03:36 PMand we're ALL board members in favor of this idea ?

I don't know who put the idea on the Winter Board Meeting Agenda but to the best of my recollection YES the decision was pretty much unanimous in favor to make the change.

Dan, I'm telling you again, if you want to help make decisions, join the Board. I can't be the only one riling them up all the time.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Jay Friedman

I'm just curious.  Can anyone tell me why the people who are leaving the forum are so against the idea of joining the CLC.  It's not expensive; certainly not compared to the cost of restoring and maintaining a vintage car. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

druby

Sue, if you attended the meeting I'm sure you know the answers, somebody has the unredacted minutes from the Winter board meeting.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood