News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

cooling system maintenance - 1956 - 365 cid

Started by lipper, March 08, 2010, 09:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipper

Would like some advice on best way to do a cooling system flush that can be done at home. Years ago I used to use a kit from Prestone where you plumbed in a garden hose attachment, but I'm not keen on cutting into my hoses. I don't think it's even legal to spill or flush glycol outdoors anymore.  What about using a wet/dry vacuum on any number of hoses to completely draw everthing out?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

ML

Tom Magdaleno

Drain the radiator and pull the block plugs and drain those too.  The block drain plugs can be a real pain so what I usually do is: drain the radiator, remove the radiator hoses and heater core hoses along with the thermostat and put your garden hose in the engine and let it run for a while (the garden hose).  If your persnickety about water, like myself sometimes, pour in distilled water and flush with that.  I use distilled water for my 50/50 mix and I use the green antifreeze.  Be careful about flushing the heater core with the hose, it can cause a leak.
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper