News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘70 Cadillac Speakers

Started by Houston747, February 17, 2024, 04:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houston747

Hi,

I have a '70 Coupe Deville. Does anybody on here know of the size of speakers for the front dash. Mine has the two slots (one on the left and one on the right) on the dash for the speakers. Does anybody know the size for the front ones?

Second, for the back, is it one single speaker? And what size too? As I am having a hard time finding something that is 8-10ohm and designed for OE radios.
A.AlRub

billyoung

The dash speakers are 3 inch and the speaker on the drivers side needs to have a shallow magnet or it will not clear the speedometer cluster housing. If your car is Stereo equipped then there should be 2 speakers in the rear package shelf and I believe they should be 6 inch by 9 inch.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Carfreak

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Houston747

Quote from: billyoung on February 17, 2024, 04:59:05 PMThe dash speakers are 3 inch and the speaker on the drivers side needs to have a shallow magnet of it will not clear the speedometer cluster housing. If your car is Stereo equipped then there should be 2 speakers in the rear package shelf and I believe they should be 6 inch by 9 inch.

Are the ones in the front round or square? And I am assuming the ones on the back are oval shaped?
A.AlRub

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure what the differences between the '70 and the '72, but when I had to replace the speakers in my car, '72 Eldorado, because of a later model (Modern) radio with CD, I tried everywhere to get speakers, but the only ones compatible with the new radio required two wires each, and not one and a ground as per original.

The smallest ones I could find for the front were HUGE, but I managed to fit them.

Had to destroy the original tin frame and create a base for the new ones, but they fitted nicely.   Once in place, it took a bit of waggling of the dash top to get it in place, but once in, nobody would ever know they were there.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

colorado4x4

Go to  www.smelectrotech.com     they have what you need.  I bought two sets, one for each of my 1970 Deville convertibles.  I also bought new rear speakers, that sit inside the convertible top well.  Now I just need to get the original am/fm signal seeking stereo radio refurbished.
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

Suntuned

Try this company, S/M Electro-tech, inc  www.turnswitch.com Phone 763 780 2861 They produce new 8-10 ohm speakers for our old radio systems. I puchased a 4x10 slim line oval and a 6x9 speaker for my 1964 Fleetwood  they work great.

Houston747

Quote from: colorado4x4 on February 17, 2024, 08:41:20 PMGo to  www.smelectrotech.com     they have what you need.  I bought two sets, one for each of my 1970 Deville convertibles.  I also bought new rear speakers, that sit inside the convertible top well.  Now I just need to get the original am/fm signal seeking stereo radio refurbished.

I have seen those and will give them a call. I read through the shop manual, turns out factory stereo cars have 2 speakers up front (3 1/2) and two in the back which are 6x9's.
A.AlRub

Houston747

Quote from: colorado4x4 on February 17, 2024, 08:41:20 PMGo to  www.smelectrotech.com     they have what you need.  I bought two sets, one for each of my 1970 Deville convertibles.  I also bought new rear speakers, that sit inside the convertible top well.  Now I just need to get the original am/fm signal seeking stereo radio refurbished.

For the ones up front, did the 70 deville have the round ones or the square ones?
A.AlRub

colorado4x4

The front on the Deville were round if they were out at either end of the dash (stereo)
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I replaced all my speakers, stock.
3 1/2 round in the front, 6x9 in the rear.
I got them from OPGI, they were very inexpensive (2 years ago).
Your specs for watts and ohms are in the body manual, critical if
you're still using a stock head.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

Modern 4 ohm speakers - IF they fit - will burn out the amplifier in your original radio. You need the OE 8 or 10 ohm ones as Laurie noted.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike