News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Antifreeze lifespan
Last post by James Landi - Today at 07:42:53 AM
While the "acid test" is one important element, in my limited experience with 2 dozen or so decades' old GM 8 cyc
cylinder engines, I found only a couple to be acidic. In my experience dealing with decades' old, well used Cadillacs, the hidden demon is radiator scale and engine block rust particles... the culprits rear their ugly head during summer weather  extended driving when you get stuck in traffic.  I've had several radiators blow out their side tanks in such driving conditions, and this hazard is not limited to those cars with barely glowing idiot lights... one of my '56 SDVs burnt exhaust valves when the temperature gauge was at the halfway point... removal of the head revealed that the water jackets were clogged around the two cylinders whose exhaust valves failed.  So de scaling the radiator, aggressively flushing the engine block, plus an inline coolant filter would provide "peace of mind" regarding old cooling systems.   
Dear all,

Just a quick question. Installing new brakes on a '66 Eldorado (inc. new lines and hoses). When installing the rear brake hose I assumed that it needed a copper washer between the male end of the hose and the t-junction on the rear axle. But when tightening, the connection bottoms out well before the copper washer is crushed. Now I am in doubt if this is the correct hose. I ordered from Rockauto. Hoses from other vendors appear to be the same.
Unfortunately I cannot find the old hose anymore (most likely threw it in the garbage).
Male end of hose is about 1/2 inch.
Does this look right to you guys or will this leak faster than I can poor in brake fluid?  :).
Restoration Corner / Re: 1951 Cadillac series62 sed...
Last post by benx13 - Today at 06:20:59 AM
And some images of the trunk lined.
I made new boards and got a material locally.
Restoration Corner / Re: 1951 Cadillac series62 sed...
Last post by benx13 - Today at 06:09:23 AM
I've slowed down taking photos of everything but here's a rough update. 
Upholstered everything except front seat. 
Trunk, door cards, headliner, carpet, rear seat. 
Made and HPC coated the new exhaust. 
I've also been re chroming trim, v's etc and installing as they get come. 
Nos hood emblem installed. 
Tail lamps re chromed and new lenses and wiring.
Bailey channel installed and glass is on its way from Australia 
General Discussion / Re: 1951 Caddy daily driver
Last post by benx13 - Today at 06:06:12 AM
Cool. Great model to get your hands on
General Discussion / Re: Ed Cholakian, 1935–2024
Last post by benx13 - Today at 06:04:30 AM
Sorry to hear. I dealt with Ed a couple times and he was really friendly to me.
Thanks for your help Ed
Bill, thanks for the kind words! I also read years ago, that the firewall is the most complex and expensive part of the body. However, I don't think it was the case at that time; it's just a flat piece of sheet metal! Sure, the exterior shape of it dictates the rest of the body. However, if you are looking at more recent cars, the firewall is getting complex and must make room or allow the installation of several elements like brake, A/C or heater...
General Discussion / Re: Scammy car slaes websites
Last post by dogbergs - Today at 02:04:25 AM
Quote from: wrefakis on April 11, 2022, 09:51:58 AMbody tag off that 59 is alive and well out of us

Is it posible it went to Sweden?

/ Johan
Last post by Vince Taliano #13852 - Yesterday at 11:44:29 PM
Ed was featured on the History Channel's TV Show Counting Cars.  It was Season 6, Episode 23 titled  "Crazy Cool Cadillac" -- it aired on February 25, 2017. Danny "The Count" Koker and "Horny" Mike visited Ed, who gave them a tour of some of his nicest Cadillacs and a Rolls Royce.

View the episode online at the History Channel.

RIP, Ed.

Last post by Barry M Wheeler #2189 - Yesterday at 11:38:31 PM
I was just talking to his young lady at the shop a few days ago. The only time I could have gone to the LA shop, it was just after the earthquake and he told me that everything was on the floor.

When I was a regular seller at the Hoosier Sell and Swap meet at the Speedway, you could lay money that Ed would be my first customer, and generally he bought enough to pay for my swap space.

Years later, when I was selling my '41 type stuff, I spent a couple of weeks packaging items for his stock. We'd agree on a price, and he never complained about anything I sent. I think I still have a scrap of paper on the floor with his California address.

Opiniated? Most definitely. Was his stuff high priced? I always told prospective buyers for stuff I didn't have, to try everyone else in the country, and if all else fails, call Ed if you really, really needed the part. BUT HE ALWAYS SENT THE RIGHT PART. It might not be quite as nice as he described, but he knew what went where.

At the start, I think I sold him 1947 Cadillac tail lamp lenses. And since they are almost unbreakable, I hate to think of how many sets he must have on the shelves. He was most definitely "one of a kind."

I sent one of his famous T-shirts with a 1941 60S silk-screened on it for auction at the GN. It's still in the plastic wrapper. And I believe I bought it at the first Valley Forge GN. (Size XL) If it's too big for you, bid on it anyway and give it to your wife for a swim-suit coverup.

Ed, you will be sorely missed.