News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

48 49 Trunk Light Switch

Started by Michael Brittan CLC #2750, April 22, 2008, 05:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Brittan CLC #2750

I refer to the switch on the inside of the trunk lid which is supposed to activate when the trunk lid is opened.  Mine is not working.  I understand that these were mercury switches.  Is there a way to repair these switches once they no longer function?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Mike
M Brittan

Jack Mcilwraith

Over time,the arcing when contact is made, carbons the mercury. Once it is totally black,it ceases to work. I have repared these items several times over the years. Between the bulb and the feed wire you will find a small "container". the mercury is in here. the contact can be pried out [carefully] and the mercury either cleaned with a contact spray through the hole where the contact had been. Or you could dump the old mercury and replace with fresh. I have used both methods. I can email a diagram if you wish. 

Michael Brittan CLC #2750

Many thanks Jack.  You experience with these switches is invaluable.  If you could email me the diagram, this would be appreciated.  Where does one buy mercury these days?
M Brittan

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Hi Mike,

I have the same issue with my glovebox light (haven't tried the trunk light yet).  Working with mercury worried me, so I did some digging and found the modern equivalent is a tilt switch, which uses a metal ball inside.  I may try to adapt one of these where the mercury cylinder currently is:  http://www.newark.com/tilt .  Just another idea.

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe