News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

68 472 starved for fuel

Started by Trace, September 23, 2020, 07:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trace

Yesterday I finished hooking up the Thermal Sensor Switch. Was doing the manifold port and had to create a very short vacuum hose 'T'. I had to remove the fuel line to hook up the vacuum hoses. Put all back in place, turned the key, and she spins .... and spins. Basic diagnostics; confirmed spark; confirmed timing ( one heavy stream of Starter fluid .... which I use sparingly), she started right up and ran 2 seconds; confirmed fuel at the carb (heavy pulses); checked for fuel leaks, ...none; checked fuel pressure (4-5  at the pulses, dropping to '0' in between).
   I think I've narrowed it to the pump because of the lack of constant pressure. The screen in the carb inlet is also considered. It was running flawlessly before this, I just don't want to overlook something simple that's only applies to these cars. The manual addresses fuel issues once it's running .....
   If I'm missing anything obvious, let me know. ...
Thank you!
Blessings, Tracy

Reviving my Dad's 1968 Deville Convertible
1964 Impala SS Convertible w/409 -SOLD
1964 Thunderbird Convertible - SOLD
1969 GTO Convertible - SOLD
1958 Impala - SOLD
Luke 12:31,32
Heb.10:36

fishnjim

Trace

Yeah, I thought about that also. Gauge said 1/4 tank and I added another 3 gallons for good measure.
Blessings, Tracy

1958 Impala - SOLD

TJ Hopland

What kind of shape are the rubber lines?   Maybe they got disturbed?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

By chance did you maybe break off the resistor wire at the coil tower working in that area?

You won't have constant fuel pump pressure. That pump operates off of an eccentric and you will only get fuel and pressure on the pressure stroke.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Trace

Quote from: Big Fins on September 24, 2020, 03:04:30 AM

You won't have constant fuel pump pressure. That pump operates off of an eccentric and you will only get fuel and pressure on the pressure stroke.

Should not a reasonable amount of pressure remain in the fuel line during and shortly after operation? I know on my 'tractor', it also has a manual pump and fuel will push out from the line when it's disconnected from the carburetor after the engine is shutdown. I assumed the same for these Caddy pumps.
  Electronically, she checks out. As statex, she'll run on starter fluid. And as far as rubber lines go, I do have gasoline coming out of the line that goes into the carburetor base.
   I guess this is to be expected from a 52 year old vehicle that's been sitting idle for the most part of the last 25 years.
Blessings, Tracy

1958 Impala - SOLD

wrench

Quote from: Trace on September 24, 2020, 08:03:11 AM
   I guess this is to be expected from a 52 year old vehicle that's been sitting idle for the most part of the last 25 years.

Bad gas?

Maybe adding 3 gallons to a bad batch of fuel isn’t enough to resurrect it.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Trace

I guess I should be more specific. I've run through a tank and 3/4 during the past year of owning the car. 'Til that point, it sat mostly idle in a garage my dad built for it in Baltimore. It's been running great, especially after I set the points and timed it. The partial restoration had been going rather nice until this.
Blessings, Tracy

1958 Impala - SOLD

wrench

Ok well that should cover stale gas, but you still need to check the fuel inlet screen, if there is one, at the carb...

Do you smell raw fuel while you are cranking?
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

TJ Hopland

Ya sounds like getting to that inlet is next.  Maybe the work loosened up a bunch of crap and its now plugging the inlet screen and or the inlet to the needle.

klinebau

Fill the fuel bowl in the carb and then start the car.  It should run for 10 or 15 seconds.  The fuel bowl can be filled from the vent on top of the car.  If it doesn't run, then you obviously need to look at other causes.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Trace

I love it ..... no screen!  >:(  How tiny is the inlet passage to the bowl? I've not taken apart the carb before but now assume that some stuff has made it's way to the inlet valve. Anybody wanna buy a Caddy? :-\
Blessings, Tracy

1958 Impala - SOLD

TJ Hopland

Its pretty small.    Quadrajet may not be the best carb to try and take apart for your first.   If you have the inlet apart now maybe try some carb spray with the little red straw on and shove it as far in as you can get it in the inlet and wiggle around while you are spraying.   Maybe you will get lucky and knock something loose and out. 

Trace

Update: I crammed an extended carb cleaner straw into the let and bent into the carb. Sprayed and jammed the inlet for a minute total, .... put her back together, and still nothing. I was still not convinced it wasn't a weak pump, so I ran a small can of gas directly into the carb and ran the cars gas line into a container. The car started right up but the flow from the pump did not get heavy until about 10 seconds in. It almost seemed like the pump wanted to be 'primed'. Anyway, I hooked it up correctly and she is running great again. Wierd! Thank you for the help. I have a backup pump waiting for me at O'Reilly's. Judging from the gunk on the pump and reviewing the service invoices, it may be the original fuel pump on the car. If so, are they rebuildable?
Blessings, Tracy

1958 Impala - SOLD