News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

For which car is that part intended?

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 11, 2021, 07:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

More than 25 years ago, I was buying parts to have them in stock to help other people from my country. My idea was not a good one; I still have many parts in stock. Usually, they are labelled so I know what I have. However, there are exceptions:
I have a NOS rear bumper pad, gray in color with a white insert in the middle. I suppose it could be for a 1974-75 Eldorado; maybe also 76-78.
The over all length is 64.5" (1639 mm)
Width: 1 3/4" (44 mm)
There are 10 studs with nuts; the distance between studs is 6.7" (170 mm), except the studs at the ends which are at 7 1/2" (185 mm) from the next one.
The next question: what would be the value of that impact strip?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

They are available from a manufacturer in Pompano Beach, FL. I would have to go to the site to see the price, but if I remember it came in sets for the front and rear impact strip replacements.

https://www.autoyas.com/US/Pompano-Beach/372245622859139/Plastic-Parts%2C-Inc.

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the link which is no more actual as they migrated to Facebook. I'm not following that thing.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

Sorry Roger.

That's what I had saved in my favorites because I used them for all of the fillers. You may be able to simply look at what they offer on Facebook and contact them via email. They were good people to work with.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

e.kempton

Hi Roger,  You should look at  the web site of      www.rubbertherightway.com         in San Diego CA they have a price list on line.  Hope this helps.

Roger Zimmermann

It seems that I'm wrongly understood. I'm not searching for a bumper pad, I have one but don't know for which car! The selling price is not so important, I don't remember the price I paid... I have it since a very long time, I could give it as a gift, except for the transportation which is another matter. Compared for other bumper strips I bought recently, $ 150.00 would be a cheap price.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Daryl Chesterman

Roger, I think that some of the posters are suggesting that you can go to the website and put in the year, make, and model and look at the parts to see if they match what you have and also get an idea what price you might charge if you sell the items.  I looked briefly on Steele Rubber Products website at a 1974 Eldorado 2 door hardtop and clicked submit.  It brought up several items, none of which looked like what you described, so typed "rear bumper filler" in the search window at the top of the page.  This brought up different items, one of which might be what you have.  Since you know what you have, you will need to spend some time trying different years and models to match up to what you have.  It is a time-consuming task, but I know of no other alternative unless you take pictures of your items and post them to the forum to see if someone recognizes the items.  Dimensions and word descriptions are good for some things, but as the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Daryl Chesterman

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for your comments. Bumper filler is the wrong  term as what I have is just a straight bumper pad! As the pad is wrapped into a clear bag, I will not take it out, therefore a good picture is an illusion.
I will take it with me the next time I'm going to a Cadillac meet; there are enough Eldos in our club to check at least the length.
As I have dozen of unsold parts in my store room, one item more or less in the inventory is not important.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

It Certainly sounds like it is the rear impact strip to an
Eldorado. Allbeit other models had them too 🥺 . I removed one from a 75 Eldorado and will try and discern. They were a rather vulnerable item for blemishes and the white center strip would 'shrink' back. 

Roger Zimmermann

Definitively it is. The front ones are not that long as they are usually 3 pieces. De Ville models have another strip with an indentation in the middle for the license plate provision at the bumper. It can only be from an Eldorado from 1974 to 1978; 1973 Eldos have a wider bumper ends; the pad is certainly not that long. Why did I not wrote down the year/model?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

MaR

Do you have any pictures of the strip? That would aid greatly in identifying the part.