News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wanted: CLC Escalade Owners

Started by Vince Taliano #13852, April 26, 2024, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Taliano #13852

Wanted: CLC Escalade Owners to Form New Chapter to Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Model (see below).

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 4,000 pictures!)

Jason Edge

I would really, really love to see an Escalade Chapter happen and would be first in line to sign up. As the owner of a 2002 Escalade EXT (first year EXT) and a 2013 EXT (last year EXT) I have always hoped someone would step up.  I feel whoever does will have a very successful Chapter!
Jason Edge (proud owner of two Escalades!)
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Bryan J Moran

Are we really there? Where there will be an Escalade class to be judged next to the 60s and 70s ?

Lost in this example is that Escalades were badge engineered Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans. Still are. 

How successful is the Cimarron Chspter?   Escalades certainly helped stabilize the brand when car sales fell to nothing and Cadillac had nothing in the SUV pipeline, but to celebrate Chevy Suburbans as a possible Chapter is a bridge too far. 

Did anyone even ask Mr Anderson (or whoever would write it) to draft an authenticity manual for the Escalade class?  That would almost kill the morale of what is left of the pre war attendees at GN and regionals. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Jason Edge

QuoteAre we really there? Where there will be an Escalade class to be judged next to the 60s and 70s ?
We really are there! My 2002 Escalade EXT won First Place Primary at the 2022 Grand National in Chicago, and my 2013 Escalade EXT won First Place Touring in 2013. I am as proud of my EXT's as I am any other Cadillac we have owned, and while my 1964 Coupe de Ville is my star, my EXT's have been the most versatile, practical, functional vehicles I have ever owned. 
Escalades and EXT took their styling cues from other GM makes (and probably other non-GM Makes) as that is the essence of vehicle evolution, however Cadillac took those styling cues and turned them into something a step above the rest. The EXT was the first ever true Luxury Sport Utility Truck, and am very proud of mine, and I do not understand why other Cadillac owners feel compelled to put down someone else's Cadillac, especially one that has been the flagship for the brand for over 2 decades. I try to find something positive in everyone's Cadillac & LaSalle... but guess that is just me.

IMG_2151- 2000 cropped.jpg
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, the Escalade is over 22 years old.

Saw my first one in 2002, and couldn't believe it.  Cadillac going to SUV's?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jason Edge

Here is an article I wrote about my 2002 that was published in the Sept 2014 Self-Starter. This vehicle was my daily driver for 18 years. It has pulled in over 40 Cadillac parts cars, hauled more lumber than most construction trucks, and has driven me over 165,000 miles all over the country in the world's first Luxury Sports Utility truck. When I first laid eyes on these, I knew this big, brash, powerful, roomy, comfortable, luxurious Cadillac was for me. Having already won a 1st Place Primary with this vehicle, you will see this vehicle proudly on display at the Gettysburg Grand Nationals.  When you all pull up to the Photo Tent to take a picture of your car at the event, look at that tent and consider this Cadillac, my EXT has been hauling it and a lot of other stuff around for our Grand National events. It is not only a cool ride, but very functional. 

Jason Escalade - Sept 2014 Self Starter.jpg

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason Edge

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on April 27, 2024, 05:01:43 AMThat would almost kill the morale of what is left of the pre war attendees at GN and regionals.
Looking back at all the GM and other makes that are no longer in existence I would think many "pre war attendees" would be encouraged that the Cadillac brand is even still around, 122 years after its inception. 

It is interesting for some how as time marches on our perception and definition of a daily driver vs classic to antique car changes. I remember when our 1995 Fleetwood Brougham was just a big ole daily driver, and now I dare say  many consider these 1994-96 Fleetwood's, and earlier Broughams as Classics. I remember back when I bought my 1964 Coupe de Ville in 1996, I thought of it as a Classic but not an Antique. At 60 years old, I think it is now leaning toward antique status (my perception anyway).  When I first started taking it to CLC region meet-ups and other car meets, it was usually in the middle of the pack age-wise, but in more recent years it is part of the older car pack, and sometimes even the oldest car in the group.

One final comment: I was just reading the CLC first and second Newsletter (it was not called the Self-Starter and a good trivia question for you old-timers or CLC historians), they came out August and Sept 1958, and it is noted that they were there to recognize 1902 to 1942 Cadillacs and all LaSalles. That means they were formed to observer vehicles 16 years old. That was 66 years ago ... or about 3 generations of car owners in human life spans. 66 Years later, our club is still around but the grand kids and great-grandkids might have a different definition of a Classic or Antique Cadillac. This of course has a lot to do with what each new generation grows up with and consider their era Cadillac. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Carfreak

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on April 27, 2024, 05:01:43 AMAre we really there? Where there will be an Escalade class to be judged next to the 60s and 70s ?

Lost in this example is that Escalades were badge engineered Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans. Still are. 

How successful is the Cimarron Chspter?   Escalades certainly helped stabilize the brand when car sales fell to nothing and Cadillac had nothing in the SUV pipeline, but to celebrate Chevy Suburbans as a possible Chapter is a bridge too far. 

Did anyone even ask Mr Anderson (or whoever would write it) to draft an authenticity manual for the Escalade class?  That would almost kill the morale of what is left of the pre war attendees at GN and regionals. 

70s Sevilles have Olds engines as do sought after 79 Eldos.

94-96 Broughams came with Chev LT1 engines. The cars are smooth, fast & gorgeous.

Doesn't seem like members have a problem with these cars. And recently have even seen a few WTB Cimarron ads. 

And remember the CLC originally only allowed pre-war Cads & LaSalles.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Bryan J Moran

All true, if Escalades are your thing great.   But collect them? Preserve them?  Jason's description is that they are dependable and comfortable. Yes, agreed.

Do we look for low mileage examples to preserve or restore like older Cadillacs?  Probably not. 

Cimmarons, Cateras and other odd balls are attempts by Cadillac - or more correctly - GM to stay relevant when trends start. 

CLC 35000 in number only

Carfreak

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on April 17, 2024, 09:55:31 PMI think it's great that we have these chapters, as Jason said in the Ark thread - we need to encourage new chapters. 

And - Cadillac more than any other make - had styling themes that enhanced chapters. 

No doubt most can see the 59-60 as a chapter, 61-62 and then 63-64.  I love 65/66. 

1st gen FWD 67-70.  You could go on and on. Perhaps there needs to be a chapter coordinator- not an administrator- but someone that creates the now non existent chapters and promotes their growth.  Waiting on someone to create them like Jason did - is fine, but that's not leadership. 

Just my opinion but I think Jason is on the right track.

So the CLC is trying to add more Chapters as you and others indicate but then you don't want them and dispute the purpose? 

You like 65/66 Cadillacs but personally they are waaaay down on my list of favorites.  Not even in the top 40.

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on November 18, 2021, 06:02:18 PMJames:

I really enjoyed my 2000 Eldorado.  I believe this is a car - the last generation Eldorado - that a lot of Cadillac collectors should have one in their collection.  Even at only 42,000 miles, this one may be priced a bit high at $3,500.

My 2000 Eldorado had 94,000 miles on it when purchased, and I put $6000 into it and sold for $1,400 - in fact I recently saw it for sale on a used car lot here in Des Moines.  I suspect it has a bit over 100,000 miles now.

Again, here you are encouraging Cadillac collectors to have 'newer' cars in their collection but you disparaged Escalades? 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Jason Edge

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on April 27, 2024, 06:12:58 PMDo we look for low mileage examples to preserve or restore like older Cadillacs?  Probably not. 
I dote on my EXT's probably far more than I do the 64 Coupe de Ville trying to keep both in the best maintenance condition possible as parts dry up, and they age like any other vehicle.  I have put 165K miles on the 2002 EXT and again won 1st place primary in 2022 during its 1st year of eligibility, which I think speaks for itself.  Truth be told it was only about 1.5 points from a senior!  I plan to live and die with both my EXTs so yes I plan to keep preserving and keep restoring both.

More to the point of this post, it is actually easier for me to keep the 64 maintained than my newer EXT's.  For example, my Service Stability System warning light started coming on the 2013 EXT about 6 months ago. It is just a warning and not a Check Engine code so it passes inspection but have to turn it off each time I crank it. I also know the suspension lift works as I see it work when I attached the car hauler and stick a car up on it. But, having been down this road with a similar warning light with the 2002, I decided to just take it to Hendrick Cadillac in Cary, who I believe has a top notch service department.  I ended up needing a $788 electronic module (currently on order) and by the time I pay labor it will be about $1600, which is neither here nor there because unlike my '64, the Escalade EXT's are service vehicles, albeit luxury service vehicles, and relied on every day. 

Two trains of thought here:
1st, I will spend and do what it takes to maintain and preserve my Escalade EXTs regardless ... probably more so than the 64 for several reasons some already stated.

2nd, wouldn't it be nice to have an Escalade Chapter to share similar experiences and knowledge, and troubleshoot issues like this collectively just like we do in the 63/64 Cadillac Chapter, or the local CLC Region?
  I basically rely on YouTube videos and a few forums and parts replies (e.g. Amazon) but wow, talk about hit or miss or pure-misinformation out there!

Forming a new Escalade Chapter doesn't take anything away from our club ... it actually adds to it in many ways.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Bryan J Moran

All good points Jason.  I 100% agree that having a chapter will aid in maintenance and repair information.  If it takes a chapter to accomplish that, then that is a good reason.

Carfreak - I have not disparaged the Escalade. I have questioned their collectibility and need for a chapter, or why a chapter.  In so doing Jason and I have had a civil discussion regarding the concept.   

I spoke up and a discussion was started.  My thinking was - as the thread was heading down in the posts with no comments- that said a lot. A lot of dis-interest and 95% of readers never post thoughts.

You can not compare my interest in a chapter for the last generation of Eldorado/Sevilles with a badge engineered SUV.  As John McEnroe said "you can't be serious?!"   I do respect that you did a deep dive into my past comments to try and bolster your position. 

1992 to 2005 Eldorados and Sevilles are one of the last, if not the last, clean sheet made in America Cadillacs.  They stuck the big middle finger to Mercedes, Lexus and BMW in their beautiful American design, power and driving experience. 

While the Northstar had issues, the total package did not.  And everything was Cadillac.  GM doesn't have the money to allow the Escalade to have a Cadillac drivetrain only.

Again I did not disparage the Escalade as you purport.  I questioned the relevance of a stand alone chapter, which has been pleasantly discussed. 

The thread where I mentioned that chapters and creating more is a good idea - not sure why you wanted to mention that 65-66 are way down on your list. OK. That's fine. I clearly advocated for more groups/chapters, not MY group. 

Best to you today. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Jason Edge

Bryan, your questions were valid. It actually gave me a chance to show that us Escalade owners can be as passionate about our newer Cadillacs as we are with the older ones.

I will give you a specific example where I am again more concerned with the maintenance and preservation of the Escalades vs my 1964 Coupe de Ville.

My AC compressor went out in the 2002 EXT a while back and it and several other items, including the radiator, were immediately replaced at Thompson Cadillac to the tune of a lot of Benjamins.

Contrast that with the 64. I have had the heater hardwired bypassing the comfort control since I bought it. The Comfort Control system is on my to do list. I will get to it ... but am in no hurry.

Now if the 2013 EXT's AC goes out it gets fixed immediately. Anything either Escalade EXT needs to keep them in top shape, they get.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

59-in-pieces

I don't understand why there is this tug-of-war over having a new Chapter.

Frankly, unless you have a dog in the fight - you own an Escalade - why would you care.
Do you think that having a new focused Chapter would some how diminish the interest in your favored Chapter, that seems highly unlikely.

I might balk at establishing a new Chapter that focuses on Pink Cadillacs of whatever vintage.
But, I would not campaign against its formation.

My wife had her Escalade (special order harlequin paint turns green, blue, or purple) and she loved it, until some irresponsible 17 year old kid with 5 months on his license came around the corner hell bent for election and totaled her car.
His Mercedes caught fire and burned up.

I replaced her Escalade with a new one, but swallowed hard twice at the price.
But, I wanted her to be safe driving high up and surrounded by lots of steel, for todays standards - but nothing like my 47 convertible - now that's steel.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

harry s

I just read Earl Rutter's excellent article in the SS about the 25th anniversary of Escalade. In light of the number of our forum members that own one and the large number of Escalade owner's groups listed on other social media sites an Escalade chapter would be a good opportunity to expand membership and also create more participation from existing members. Win Win!    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bryan J Moran

Harry
I agree.  I have been taken to task for asking out loud why we would want a chapter BUT I believe that if it leads to new members, those new members may buy an older Cadillac and restore, maintain or show that car.  I am a shapes guy, so when I see a car, modern or old, my eyes are taken to the car's styling.  I don't think I will ever "love" an Escalade, but they are neat vehicles. 
CLC 35000 in number only