News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Painting the car a different color than its original one.

Started by Makandriaco, May 27, 2013, 02:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Smith

Quote from: ericdev on May 29, 2013, 10:39:15 AM
That depends on what barrel from which you're sampling the demographic. As the CLC is a marque club, the majority of its membership are indeed concerned with the maintenance, restoration and preservation of their vehicles to the highest standards of authenticity, I assure you.

As Brian has said, much gets lost in forum discourse and in that vein, I had invited you to call me to discuss your concerns which I felt would yield a far more productive dialogue. Since you have not done so, I can see no benefit in prolonging this discussion here. Should you reconsider, my invitation remains open at your convenience.

Eric

Allow me to try and explain my "situation" on this board and membership in the club.  I see this forum and others as a great way for us to exchange thoughts and opinions. It allows individuals that are great distances apart to instantaneously communicate with each other.  I have been on enough message boards to know that inevitably differences of opinions do arise.  I have never seen one big love fest, where everyone agrees with each other.

I welcome and appreciate any and all replies. both agreeing and disagreeing with my thoughts and opinions.  I am wise enough to know that I don't know everything and not always correct with my opinions.  It is because of discussion, that I have increased my wisdom and knowledge of various subjects and topics.  I realize that there are folks that have tunnel vision, and don't listen or entertain opinions that are different then theirs.

Yes I will be in Boston, but don't look for me by my car.  I put it in the "display only" class and walk around soaking in the ambiance, and chatting with long time friends that I have met through the CLC.  Being a quasi vagabond, don't look for me on any of the planned tours.  I prefer to strike out on my own and make my own discoveries, especially the touristy ones.  Look for me on the USS Constitution, Paul Revere's House, Cheers to savor a $20.00 hamburger and soaking up the local flavor at Faneuil Hall Marketplace. I might ever wander the streets of the Financial District, to visit my investments.

Grant Owen

I do know where Louis is coming from, I do know a few like him they don't listen to advise, think they know it all but lack the skills & knowledge to do a proper restoration , so when the car is finished instead of calling it a disaster they call it a semi custom.

Mihai Tarţa

In my opinion, it all depends on whether you bought the car as an investment or -for lack of a better word- a toy.
For me, my car is a toy, not an investment, and all I care about is whether I love it or not, and I do.
That being said, there are certain modifications which are done tastefully, and from where I stand they add to the finished product.
On the other hand, modifications such as 24" chrome rims and steering wheels made out of chrome chains and others that fall into this category are absolutely appalling.

I guess I would fall somewhere in between the two extremes: purist vs ghetto custom, as I don't care so much about authenticity, but I care a great deal about design. If these to should ever conflict, design always wins.

So far, all the mods I have done on my car are reversible and I've kept all the original parts needed to bring the car back to it's original state, the only exception being the color, which was originally cameo beige, but now it's a bit darker.
Frankly I don't care as I'm not attending to car shows with it.
I bought it to love it and drive it and so should you.

Here are some pictures of the mods: darker color, tachometer mounted inside the clock shell and '75 steering wheel horn pad.
1969 Coupe DeVille
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Oradea, Romania

Louis Smith

Quote from: Grant Owen on May 30, 2013, 01:55:56 AM
I do know where Louis is coming from, I do know a few like him they don't listen to advise, think they know it all but lack the skills & knowledge to do a proper restoration , so when the car is finished instead of calling it a disaster they call it a semi custom.

You have either misread me, or lack comprehension skills.  No where, I repeat, no where have I ever professed to "know it all".  I just merely express my opinions.  You are correct in stating my lack of skills and knowledge in "maintaining", my car doesn't need restoration.  Since my mechanical skills are limited to changing valve stem covers....maybe, like most in the club, I defer to the professionals to R/R my car.  Not that I couldn't do much more myself, but besides not having the proper space and equipment, I have neither the time or inclination to do the work.  I prefer much more to get out of the garage and smell the roses.  I follow the advice of Indiana Jones "If you want to be a good archeologist, you gotta get out of the library!"

Caddy Wizard

I have always been schizoid on original color vs changing color.  I've always been tempted to change colors, but in the end I've usually ended up with the original color or a two-tone using the original single color as part of the two-tone.  Original color is easier to sell and holds value better.  Changing colors is better as an expression of personal taste, but should only be done if you are able to keep the car for quite a while.  Changing colors and then selling shortly thereafter is a financial loser most of the time.  Of course, there are exceptions, such as painting convertibles in "resale red". 

Here is a car I owned that came from the factory all Pecos Beige.  I added a correct Taupe top for a 56-correct two tone of Taupe over Pecos Beige.  It worked out fine -- I liked the car better and so did the market.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Louis Smith

Quote from: Art Gardner  CLC 23021 on May 30, 2013, 12:41:28 PM
I have always been schizoid on original color vs changing color.  I've always been tempted to change colors, but in the end I've usually ended up with the original color or a two-tone using the original single color as part of the two-tone.  Original color is easier to sell and holds value better.  Changing colors is better as an expression of personal taste, but should only be done if you are able to keep the car for quite a while.  Changing colors and then selling shortly thereafter is a financial loser most of the time.  Of course, there are exceptions, such as painting convertibles in "resale red". 

Here is a car I owned that came from the factory all Pecos Beige.  I added a correct Taupe top for a 56-correct two tone of Taupe over Pecos Beige.  It worked out fine -- I liked the car better and so did the market.

I believe you have posted the quintessential motivations in making decisions on how to maintain/restore/customize one's pride and joy.  There is no right or wrong, just a matter of personal preference.  There is enough room in the hobby for individuals of all persuasions, whether it be trophy collector, purists, those that like to customize, and those of us that get our enjoyment out of owning and driving a "classic".

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The impact upon final value of a car that has been color changed is a question which cannot be answered with absolute certainty. There are simply too many variables. The only thing we know for certain is that an unknown percentage of buyer interest will be eliminated from the bidding pool.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Louis Smith

Quote from: ericdev on May 30, 2013, 01:13:17 PM
The only thing we know for certain is that an unknown percentage of buyer interest will be eliminated from the bidding pool.

.....or as a good friend of mine, that was a Cadillac sales manager told me many years ago, when I asked him who was going to spend the extra money for a custom paint job, that was way over priced............"There is a a** for every seat".

52Cadillac

Quote from: Grant Owen on May 30, 2013, 01:55:56 AM

Shoot fire Grant, I've never had that impression of Louis. Probably cause I don't listen or take advice either. Hehe.

Art, those are great colors on the car. What's a paint job like that run in today's dollars?

Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Caddy Wizard

More than I can afford!  Pretty good paint jobs start at about $10K and go as high as your wallet will take you!  Really, I would estimate 10-15K for paint work on a car that doesn't need much rust repair.  By the time they strip the body to bare metal, epoxy prime it, do the metal work, fill and sand and prime, block it out perfectly for paint, paint it, clear it, color sand it and buff it, and then reassemble the car, there is no way to do it for much cheaper.  If the car can be simply sealed and sprayed, it is a LOT cheaper.  But many cars already have too much paint on them from previous paint jobs and one more will lead to hazing and cracking.  So if you ever are looking to buy a car and think it needs to be repainted, try to figure out how much paint is on the car now.  A simple respray is not too expensive.  But a back-to-bare-metal job will break the bank.

Fortunately for me, my dad was a master car painter and taught me the basics.  So I do my own paint work, even though my automotive vocation was as a German car mechanic (1973-1983), not a paint and body guy.  I painted that beige car in my home garage...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

N Kahn

Red cars are a dime a dozen, I couldn't wait to paint my red 59 El Camino pink.

Louis Smith

Quote from: 49er on May 31, 2013, 10:47:29 AM
Another look. Most men think when they are on top, they are in control, in the dominant power position.
    This is false. The one receiving, is in control. The question is, which do you prefer?
Same for the color of your car, what do you prefer. Art

I prefer the view from the bottom, and I am really not concerned with who is in control, as long as I am in the game.

Caddy Wizard

I would never paint a non-red car red.  I tend to look for cars in their original colors, in colors I really like.  For example, I really like 54 Fleetwoods, but bought this 54 Sedan this year because I love the color combination of Viking Blue over Newport Blue. 

If I were to change colors on a 49-62 Cadillac (the only era of interest to me), it would be to Gold Metallic over Bronze Metallic, or vice versa.  See the second picture as an example (this particular bronze is not what I would pick, but you get the idea).

Oh, and in case you haven't figured it out yet, I like two-tones!!!
Art Gardner

Walter Youshock

There are so many black, white and red '59s and '60s anymore that I don't generally take the time to really look at them.  It's sad but true.  Seeing a Gotham gold or turquoise '59 convertible or a green '60 is the RARITY.  Those are the cars that get a second look from me.

BUT, at least there WAS a color palette to pick from.  Cadillac had certain colors pegged for certain cars as there were matching interiors.  1956/'57 Mountain Laurel was really a deVille color as a Mountain Laurel interior was offered.

Today, there's like eight colors to pick from and one is black and another is white with three interior colors.  YAWN!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Louis Smith

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 31, 2013, 03:09:50 PM
There are so many black, white and red '59s and '60s anymore that I don't generally take the time to really look at them.  It's sad but true.  Seeing a Gotham gold or turquoise '59 convertible or a green '60 is the RARITY.  Those are the cars that get a second look from me.

Sounds like you got red white and black burnout.  I think the reason you see so many in the "money" colors, is because they are the most popular and what people want the most.  Notice that most Cadillac commercials use these colors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E8YV51byik

Walter Youshock

Burnout is a good word.  The current amount is not indicative of what was produced in the era.  For example, a maroon '57 series 62 convertible (which seems even rarer today than an Eldorado Biarritz) came to a local multi-make show years ago sporting a black and white interior and black top.  Had the car been red, I wouldn't have given it much attention.  The car was mobbed because everyone was under the impression that Cadillac convertibles only came in black, white or red!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Louis Smith

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 31, 2013, 03:31:42 PM
Burnout is a good word.  The current amount is not indicative of what was produced in the era.  For example, a maroon '57 series 62 convertible (which seems even rarer today than an Eldorado Biarritz) came to a local multi-make show years ago sporting a black and white interior and black top.  Had the car been red, I wouldn't have given it much attention.  The car was mobbed because everyone was under the impression that Cadillac convertibles only came in black, white or red!

I never knew that Cadillac offered Castile Maroon as a color choice. I am sure it did create quite a crowd.  Just look at all the different colors available that year. Imagine two shades of white!

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipcreate.cgi?year=1957&manuf=GM&model=Cadillac&ret=code

Walter Youshock

It was rather rare but it was offered.  Picture it with a gold grille.  Amethyst may have been discontinued as very few are around and I've only seen one in 20 years.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Generally speaking, I have to agree with the sentiments presented here. Red, white, pink and to a lesser extent, black- all send red flags flying. Especially on ragtops.

One fairly prominent CLCer I know had a number of '59 Cadillac coupes & convs redone in red/red/white schemes.   

Every one was magnificent.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham