News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fan belt 1938 346 size

Started by mattwilk1972, March 20, 2024, 07:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattwilk1972

Looking for the correct size fan belt for a 1938 60 special, 346 flathead V8. Anyone know the dimensions? length and width?

Tom Boehm

Cadillac 60s fan belt dimensions:
Length center to center  10-13/32"  -  10-19/32"
width                    1-1/64"
type                     34 degree vee

This is from the 1939 Cadillac-Lasalle shop manual. The parts book shows a different part number for the 1938 60s. Someone with a 1938 shop manual should check this to see if dimensions are different.

IMPORTANT:  All this doesn't matter because the exact sizes are not made anymore! Many years back McVey's had a run of correct size reproductions made but they have been sold out for a long time.

Do a search on this forum because this topic has been discussed before. Members have posted modern fan belt product numbers they found fit the best.

Whit Otis, 1188

Also, review or search previous "Self Starter" issues.  If I remember correctly, John Washburn wrote an article regarding flathead fan belts.  Hopefully this might help.
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

LaSalle5019

Look in the Self Starter November-December 2013 issue. That is where John Washburn's article is. This doesn't solve your problem but will give you all the specs.

Maybe these folks could help out?

https://www.mibelting.com/v-belts.html

toybox

I think if you go to a heavy equipment parts supply you may find a comparable belt that nobody would question. The hard one for me was the generator belt. Tim