News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where to jack car up

Started by Daffer, April 21, 2024, 07:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daffer

I'm planning on changing my tires and painting the wheels on my 1950 cadillac series 62. I've never jacked this car up and don't want to screw it up so I'm hoping to maybe get a photo of the best spot to put the jack on the front and back. Thanks
-Josh

Jay Friedman

On my 1949 Cad, I usually jack up the front wheels by placing a floor jack arm under the front of the frame between the right and left control arms, with 3 or 4 inch long block of 2x4 wood on top of the jack arm. Once jacked up high enough with the wheels off the ground, I support the car with jack stands under the inner end of each control arm, leaving the jack in place as a safety measure. I also put chocks against the front and back of one of the rear tires.

To jack up the rear wheels, I first remove the fender skirts and put chocks against the front and back of one of the front tires. I then place a floor jack arm under the bottom of the differential housing with 3 or 4 inch long block of 2x4 wood on top of the jack arm. I jack the car up high enough that the rear wheels come very high off the ground.  I then put jack stands, two on each side under the frame toward the rear of the frame. (I use four jack stands rather than just two as a safety measure.) I then lower the jack, letting the axle settle onto the rear springs, hoping the jack stands hold it high enough that the rear tires don't touch the ground. If the tires touch the ground, you'll have to jack the differential housing higher and re-set the jack stands.

I don't raise the front and rear wheels off the ground on jack stands at the same time, which I feel would be dangerous. If I do need to have all four wheels raised, for example to remove the transmission, I put the front wheels on sturdy metal ramps and put two jack stands under each side of the outer part of the rear axle (not the differential housing).

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Daffer

I appreciate the help, I'm definitely only planning on doing 2 tires at a time.
-Josh