News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Goodbye Pontiac!

Started by David #19063, April 27, 2009, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David #19063

Quote from: Jim S. #21340 on May 03, 2009, 03:59:11 PM
Personally, if I were to be in the market for a new car, I wouldn't buy anything brand new.  Cars a few years old still have so much life left in them (assumning reasonable care by the previous owner).  The new car smell is just too expensive a brand of perfume.

Yes, when you can pick up a 2-3 year old car, especially luxury cars, with 5,000 - 25,000 miles on it for around 50% of sticker, why buy new?

Get a full size fully loaded luxury model for the price of a moderately equipped midsize car.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

The Tassie Devil(le)

BUT, someone has to purchase the car in the first place so that it can be available on the second-hand market.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Jim S. #21340 on May 03, 2009, 03:59:11 PM
  Personally, if I were to be in the market for a new car, I wouldn't buy anything brand new.  Cars a few years old still have so much life left in them (assumning reasonable care by the previous owner).  The new car smell is just too expensive a brand of perfume.

So very true.  With the sales tax on a new Cadillac being around $3500, it hardly makes buying new a good idea.

Wynn Moore

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on May 03, 2009, 06:38:32 PM
BUT, someone has to purchase the car in the first place so that it can be available on the second-hand market.

Bruce. >:D

Fortunately for the astute among us, there are more people willing to spend the money for new, then us, who realize the value of purchasing "previously owned".

David #19063

Plus, in my state and some other states, annual registration and tags can cost around $600 per year for a new Cadillac...as it is based on the car's cost.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Wynn Moore

Quote from: David #19063 on May 04, 2009, 01:11:53 AM
Plus, in my state and some other states, annual registration and tags can cost around $600 per year for a new Cadillac...as it is based on the car's cost.

What state is that?  Most states base their fees on weight of the vehicle.

David #19063

David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Derek

I've owned mostly used, 20+ year old American cars.  Had over 30 of them since I started driving.

In 2007 I finally got to where I could buy a new car.  I bought a 2007 Dodge Dakota.  When I quit teaching I sold it to dad because he needed a truck.  It had 8k on the clock.  By 11k the transmission needed a "flash" for the TCM because it was going into limp mode on the highway.  I diagnosed the problem and told dad to take it in and ask them to check TSB's to see if anything applied.

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber.  Purchased new 12/21/07 with 4 miles on it.  In February the blower motor ate itself -- bearings went out and it squealed like a dying cat.  Warranty covered it, took 2 weeks to get the part and get it installed.

In March the vacuum booster ATE itself.  Huge sucking vacuum leak you could feel right behind the pedal.  I called the dealership, they couldn't get me in for 4 days...I drove it in later that day as it got worse and basically played dumb -- "Is this a safety issue?  Is it safe to drive this until Friday?"  All of a sudden they had a tech free to look at it.

Still took almost 2 weeks to get the part and get it installed.  Never got called with updates -- when I'd call in, I'd be told "We don't know anything, we're still waiting, we'll call you."  In 8 years and over 30 cars, all of which were 10-30+ years old, I have NEVER had a vacuum booster go bad.  Ever.

Now it's close to 35k on the clock and the warranty will expire at 36k.  I'm upside down in it and so I can't trade out...But I'd think twice before buying another Dodge, or any American car.  The dealerships especially make it feel like I'm p***ing in their Wheaties when I take it in for warranty service.  I do most all of my own work myself as I was a former MD State licensed inspection tech and a service advisor.

I think I'll drive this one til it stops and the next car I get will be used, for sure.

Wynn Moore

Quote from: David #19063 on May 04, 2009, 09:02:51 AM
Indiana.

Unbelievable! I just did a quick look at their website and it looks like they got all types of fees attached to registration, wheel tax, surcharge etc.

Jim Salmi #21340

It seems that as often and not, when I hear stories like that, it's a Chrysler product.  I hear Chrysler owners over and over say that they love the car when it's behaving itself (big if!!) BUT that they almost universally hate their dealer.  The Chrysler dealers in this area (Denver, Colorado) have been weak for years.  Ever since I can remember, when we've have some big "scandal" involving sleazy business practices, it's almost invariably a Chrysler product.  If that is typical, it has to be a big part of their current problems.  Honda was smart enough to figure out early on that dealer quality was critical to the ownership experience.  If the car has a problem, fix it quickly and competently and don't jerk the customer around.  People talk at cocktail parties and the word gets around.  I wonder if the American industry and dealer network is so rooted in the early blacksmith/horse trader culture that it will never, ever change.  Imagine how much fun it will be to get your problems fixed when you're arguing with Italy.
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Derek

I worked at this dealership, and in this case, the biggest problem was the service department.  I was a service advisor, and our service manager was a total doooooosh.  No one liked him, he treated customers like crap, and if you didn't buy the car there originally, he would personally stonewall your warranty service -- move you to the bottom of the board, etc.

I have not heard as much bad about other Chrysler dealers in this area.  Our techs were phenomenal though.  The Jeep dealership where I bought the ex-wife's 2007 Jeep Liberty was good to deal with, never had a problem with the car or them since I never saw them after I bought the car, LOL.  They have since bought the Dodge dealership and the Chrysler dealership in this area so maybe they're better now...

dadscad

Worst car I ever owned.....1977 Fiat Spider that I bought new. Traded in a very clean 1967 Buick Skylark convertible on it....yeah young and dumb! Wish I still had the Skylark but the wife wanted that Fiat! I guess there was a bad omen on that Fiat, I bought it in Memphis. When the wife and I arrived at the Dealer, first thing the salesman said, did you know Elvis died today?

The Spider was a blast to drive but we were fed up with it after two years and I sold it. Ironically, after I handed the buyer the keys and title, he was about to drive off, he said, sure hope this wasn't a mistake....................

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Guidematic

That's it, many people still have a very bad taste in their mouths from Fiat's last foray into our market. The product was so bad that they were driven off shore and they were never able to return.

So, how many will take this into consideration when they are in the market for a new car? That remains to be seen. I think there are still plenty enough people around that have either first hand experience with those products, or those that know full well how bad the cars really were.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

David #19063

Quote from: Wynn Moore on May 04, 2009, 12:46:47 PM
Unbelievable! I just did a quick look at their website and it looks like they got all types of fees attached to registration, wheel tax, surcharge etc.

Yes, Wynn, Indiana does charge a lot for registration fees.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Otto Skorzeny

Georgia is the same way. The Ad Valurum tax will kill you unless you drive a very old car. The Ad Valorum on my truck and my Cadillac is $20 each. I know people with new Jaguars or BMWs that pay in the thousands. That's every year!

The governor was trying to get a law through the legislature this year which would end the ad valurum tax and replace it with a one time registration fee. You would have to tell them how much you paid for the car when you transferred the title into your name and pay a fee based on the value.

I don't know it that passed or not. Even though it's a more reasonable way to do it, I'm better off like it is because I don't own or buy cars built after 1972.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Mike Jones on May 05, 2009, 11:13:34 AM
That's it, many people still have a very bad taste in their mouths from Fiat's last foray into our market. The product was so bad that they were driven off shore and they were never able to return.

A large and well-respected family-owned Pontiac/GMC dealership near me took on Fiat in the '70's when they were foisting something called the Strada on the American market.  A friend of mine bought one and had unadulterated hell with it before practically giving it away on a trade.  The dealership dropped Fiat a year or two later before it did too much harm to their excellent reputation and replaced it with Subaru.

Jim Salmi #21340

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on May 08, 2009, 06:10:41 PM
Georgia is the same way. The Ad Valurum tax will kill you unless you drive a very old car. The Ad Valorum on my truck and my Cadillac is $20 each. I know people with new Jaguars or BMWs that pay in the thousands. That's every year!

The governor was trying to get a law through the legislature this year which would end the ad valurum tax and replace it with a one time registration fee. You would have to tell them how much you paid for the car when you transferred the title into your name and pay a fee based on the value.

I don't know it that passed or not. Even though it's a more reasonable way to do it, I'm better off like it is because I don't own or buy cars built after 1972.

In the $thousands EVERY year?  How in the world do they get away with that?  I would think the public would be fit to be tied. 
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Wynn Moore

Quote from: Jim S. #21340 on May 09, 2009, 05:49:52 PM
In the $thousands EVERY year?  How in the world do they get away with that?  I would think the public would be fit to be tied. 

I was thinking the same thing.

Otto Skorzeny

Yes. I kid you not.

20 years ago, when I was just out of college, one of my customers had a new Jaguar. He paid over $800 for license plate every year. I had a Dodge Dakota pickup that was around $200+ per year.

When I sold the truck 15 years later, my tags still cost about $75.

My brother has a new Buick Lucerne and paid $400 for his tags last November. They cost $500 the first year he got it.

People with high dollar Mercedes Benz, BMWs, etc. pay much much more.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Guidematic

With all the so-called clunker laws that every govenment tries to push on us every year, you'd think that tax would be abolished poste haste. It gives a huge incentive to keep your old cars so you don't get raped with those insane registration fees every year.

I thought ours were getting high, but they are a pittance compared to that. Every car, new or old, cheapie or high line luxo barge pay the same $75 per year.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69