News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Darby Everest Cadillac - Oklahoma City - 1955

Started by okccadman, December 04, 2009, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

Its April of 1955 and the new owners have just taken over from Greenlease-Moore.  You are invited to a reception and showing of the 1955 Cadillacs.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CADILL-IKES/photos/album/234651670/pic/list

I found these great pics at the Oklahoma Historical Society.  Can we still place a parts order?  How about a test drive in that 55 Eldo?

Enjoy everyone!

P.S. be sure to use the options in the upper left to blow them up to original size.  They are huge images and the detail is incredible!

Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Great pictures and thanks for posting!  They are especially nice for me since I hae a '55
Eldorado and the 55 model is featured in their showroom in several of them.  Really
neat to see that!

Question:  How can I download copies of these?  I tried, but instead get a "link"
rather than the pic itself.  BTW, I'm a CaddyIkes member.

Thanks,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Joe Manna

Excuse me Mr.Crimmins,your Eldorado is ready for you to pick up...............
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Otto Skorzeny

Mike, I clicked on the title just below each photo and it opened right in my Picasa photo viewer, from which I can place the photo anywhere I want to on my computer.

Picasa is a free photo managing software. It allows you to alter, enlarge, shrink, email, etc. photos you take yourself or those people email you or that you find on the web.

Here is a link in case you want to download it for free:

http://picasa.google.com/
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

okccadman

If you enlarge and look closely at the shop pics, there is another 55 Eldo in for service.  OIt appears to be white with a black top.

Any members have a 55 That came from Oklahoma City originally?

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on December 04, 2009, 11:39:52 PM
Great pictures and thanks for posting!  They are especially nice for me since I hae a '55
Eldorado and the 55 model is featured in their showroom in several of them.  Really
neat to see that!

Question:  How can I download copies of these?  I tried, but instead get a "link"
rather than the pic itself.  BTW, I'm a CaddyIkes member.

Thanks,

Mike
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

Which photo has the white eldo with black top?

It looks like the 55 masked for painting had an under-hood fire. look at the hood insulation.

Interesting that they're working on a '53 Ford as well.
fward

okccadman

The one entitled "Building 2 Service."  It is on the right.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

I don't see a photo with that title.  Whazzup wiiddat?
fward

okccadman

Sorry, its one of the 16 posted on the Cadill-Ikes site.  I wasnt able to reduce their sizes to post them here yet.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Charles D. Barnette

These pictures have great historical significance to our club. It was here at this same building located at 400 N. Walker Street when the dealership was Greenlease-Moore that the show car, the 1953 Cadillac LeMans #2 (serial number 03), was last displayed in public in November of 1953 before the car literally fell off the face of the earth! This is the only Cadillac LeMans out of 4 made that cannot be accounted for at the present time! The car was once owned by Harley Earl, and at the time of the display at Greenlease-Moore was black in color externally with yellow interior. Tragically also this is where Mr. Robert Thomas Moore (being one of the owners of Greenlease-Moore) was found in a locked bathroom on the second floor of the building with a fatal gunshot wound from his own shotgun in August of 1954. The police ruled the death as "either accidental or suicide". These pictures posted by Jim made in 1955 are probably as close to 1953 as we can come to get a good idea as to what the entire premises looked like in 1953. These pictures are in my mind "Holy Grail" items! Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

As luck would have it, sitting under my very nose in Texarkana for many years was my dad's 1966 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Jim Jordan had viisited our museum here in 2006 and saw my dad's car. My exhaustive research on the 1953 Cadillac LeMans for David Temple's Motorama book had me leaving LeMans number 2 at the Greenlease-Moore dealership in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in 1953 with the trail ending there. As we now know the dealership Darby-Everest in 1955 took over the same building ( as Greenlease-Moore) and remained in the same building during Darby's entire existance. When I told Jim how iimpressed I was with the 1955 pictures he posted on this thread, he informed me that my dad's 1966 Cadillac had been bought at Darby-Everest according to the nameplate attached to the rear of the car (my dad being the second owner). I told Jim "you have got to be kidding". Sure enough, my dad said the car had been bought by the original owner in Oklahoma; and then my dad bought it from the original owner many years ago in Texarkana. A quick check of my dad's car last night indeed shows the nameplate "Darby-Everest-Okla. City" attached to the left rear! I feel like my research on the LeMans has come full circle with my dad's car being sold from the same building that LeMans #2 was last publicly displayed! I now have new respect for my dad's 66 Cadillac! I will photograph the nameplate, and Carla will post it tomorrow on this thread. Cadillac wonders never cease! Charles

Barry Norman

Love these pics ! Any chance we can see the others ??
Barry Norman

okccadman

There are 16 large files posted on the Cadill-Ikes yahoo site.  As time allows, I will try to resize them so I can post them here.

Jim
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
66 Fleetwood Brougham
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Great photos,
As an aside, I have tried to join the Cadillac-Ikes discussion group about four times now and can't seem to get on there. I have the same problem with another Yahoo group I'm a member of [the Gene Vincent discussion group] and the only way I can participate in that is by replying from my email account. I haven't even got that far with the Ikes group! I was a Cadillac Ikes member when it was a subscription pamphlet.
All the best,
Phil

Carla Tynes

Here is my Dad's 1966 Cadillac with the famous Darby-Everest name plate.  The next post will show a true close-up of the logo name plate.

Carla Tynes

Here are the close ups of the Darby-Everest name plate on my Dad's 1966 Cadillac.  When I get to heaven, my first question to the Lord will be who shot JFK.  My second question will be what happened to Cadillac LeMans #2!  Charles D. Barnette

Otto Skorzeny

Interesting to see all these cars when they were new. Also notice that the white and black Eldo has the narrower white walls  (2 3/4?) that presumably were standard while some of the other owners opted to buy the full side wall whites (4"?)
fward

Doug Houston

This thread has been very interesting to me. One of my cars was sold in this dealership in 1941. It is a club coupe, and by serial number, one of the last '41 Cadillacs made.It has the factory air conditioner in it; one of three known survivors.

I'm the sixth owner, and it was in Oklahome all its life until a lad in the Army owned it, and drove it to Detroit. He sold it shortly after arriving here, and I have had it since then, about 1968.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Barry Norman

I would love to see some pics of your car-especially the AC setup !
Barry Norman