News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My baby spreads her wings

Started by Smedly, June 18, 2015, 08:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smedly

Well it has been 4 years since my 46 has crossed the white line at the end of my drive way to go to a show (in as found condition). This weekend I will be returning to that same show. I just put the insurance and plates on her yesterday so the family piled in to her last night for a pre show test run. we put about 20 miles on her. The only issue was the drivers side brake dragging, and one stall (I think the float may have stuck and flooded her out as I was coming to a stop). Hopefully I can find some more time tomorrow to play with it, so Sunday will be a trouble free day.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Walter Youshock

Congratulations!  Great feeling, isn't it?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

harry s

Ditto on the Congratulations. Good luck and enjoy the show.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

STS05lg

Noticed that the right front tire on the gray car is an H78-15. May want to think about stopping at Sears and getting some new treads. I think it has been at least 30 years sense tires were sized that way.... I know tires were made better back "in the day" but highway speed can shreed old tires in a new york second if they start to go... Just a thought. great work and enjoy your car...safely...  :) :)

Bill Young

Congratulations! , Enjoy and stay safe. Safety first.

chris cunliffe

Quote from: STS05lg on June 18, 2015, 12:11:59 PM
Noticed that the right front tire on the gray car is an H78-15. May want to think about stopping at Sears and getting some new treads. I think it has been at least 30 years sense tires were sized that way.... I know tires were made better back "in the day" but highway speed can shreed old tires in a new york second if they start to go... Just a thought. great work and enjoy your car...safely...  :) :)

H78-15 Bias tires are and always have been available in the last 30 years and have always been sized that way. Radial tires  have a different construction and a different way of sizing.
1957 Eldorado Seville #967

Smedly

Well I am up to about 320 miles and so far so good, except my gas gauge does not work. I am not sure if I ran out of gas last night or if it was the dreaded vapor lock I have been hearing about. I was at the gas station to pick up a pop on my way back from  a 30 mile or so run, I left the engine running when I went inside, came out drove 50 feet and it quit like it was running out of gas. I put some in the tank and some down the carb (several times in the carb) and away we go. I think an electric pump and a repair to the gauge are in order.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

gary griffin

Congratulations on your  accomplishment.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jay Friedman

Smedly,

When your car "quit like it was running out of gas" the problem may have been ethanol in the fuel which lowers the vaporization point.  The fuel pump is then pumping air, while the engine ran for a few seconds on slightly cooler liquid fuel in the carburetor fuel bowl.  Modern cars, particularly because of fuel injection and computerization, can deal with it all this, but our carbureted engines cannot always do so.  When your car started up again, it may have been because things cooled off a bit and the gas in the fuel pump became liquid again.  So, before you go to the trouble of installing an electric pump, I suggest you first try both repairing your gas gauge and finding a station not too far away that sells ethanol-free gasoline. 

They can be found at a website called www.pure-gas.com.  Click on MAP at the top, center the map approximately over your state and click on the + sign until the details of your area come into view,  You can then determine if one is nearby.  (There is also a list of states in the middle of the first screen; clicking on a state produces a list in text of such stations.)  If you see such a station nearby on the map, click on it and the address etc. will appear.  Some states have many such stations, some not so many and a few states have hardly any.  Some of these places are not typical gas stations, but fuel wholesalers or agricultural co-ops which also sell to the general public.

I had a similar problem with my '49; luckily there is such a station a few miles away in my state (GA) and my problem was solved.  Installing a 160 degree thermostat can also help.   
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Smedly

Thanks Jay. I am in Ontario so it looks like most high test at name brand stations.
Sheldon Hay

Smedly

Is there a date code on tires somewhere, I really don't think these tires are as old as others may think?
Sheldon Hay

Dan LeBlanc

Who is the manufacturer of the tire?  If I had to guess, I'd say likely a mid-1970's tire.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Smedly

Sheldon Hay

Dan LeBlanc

Cooper has not produced a bias tire since the late 70's early 80's.  By 1977, the bias ply market had lost about 75% of it's volume.  Cooper started switching over to radial production in 1973.

If they have the ratings on them for treadwear, traction, etc, (like you see on a modern tire) they were manufactured post-1979.  If not, pre-1979.

Either way, your tires are VERY old.
Dan LeBlanc

Smedly

wow, yes they do show the ratings. They look exceptionally good condition for their age, they must have spent most of there time indoors.
Sheldon Hay

Smedly

Art, I m not just looking at the tread depth I am also looking at side walls.
Sheldon Hay

Bill Ingler #7799

Smedly: I suspect you are trying in your mind to justify using those old tires. The only way I would use old tires if I had a car that I trailered to shows and did not use the car other than show the car at car shows. After spending all the time and money getting your car to where it is today and now wanting to drive the car, which you will find is a great car to drive, why risk your safety and those of others with old tires. Have fun   Bill

Smedly

Nope, not trying to justify at all, New tires are on my list of things to change. (I hate bias ply tires and am going to change to radials) I was curious as to the age because of the previous posts, I did not think that they would be that old because of the condition, yeah they look cool but the car handles like $#@$#%$ so regardless of age they will be coming off. One of hem will look great mounted on the garage wall in the wheel opening of my NOS rear fender. Of course the tire will require a little trim here and a little trim there with the saws all to make it fit correctly >:D
Sheldon Hay

Dan LeBlanc

The tires Art is referring to were dated 2007, I believe.  He left the GN, drove for two hours, felt a vibration, and noticed the tread separation when he pulled over.  Got that one in time.  Put on the spare.  Drove another couple hours, felt vibration in the rear, pulled over, and noticed the same thing in the rear.  Limped it into a Wal-Mart and put on four tires to make it back home to NJ.  I may be able to find the pic he sent me.

Your tires are definitely older than his bias ply tires.  I would absolutely, positively, NOT drive that car with those tires at anything more than a crawl.

Mike's tires looked brand new (I saw them in person in May).  They were old and, like most tires, were deteriorating from the inside out.
Dan LeBlanc

Smedly

I am going this week to look at an mid-late 80s  Fleetwood rwd with spoked wheels and 4 GOOD radials the car has been parked for about a year. I am hoping to pick it up for scrap $, Take the wheels off for the 46 and most likely haul it to the crusher on the way home. Giving me the wheels and tires for free. Unless I see other parts I could use( maybe it has black leather seats or something) ::)
Sheldon Hay