News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Lack of Classic Cadillacs on the road

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, November 28, 2015, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e.mason

Quote from: chrisntam on November 28, 2015, 04:33:10 PM

3)  But the classic car auctions are alive and well, they (the cars) must be going somewhere........

Yes they are.  Notice the prices that are being paid?  I suspect that they aren't going to the average person.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: Joe Konarowski on November 29, 2015, 08:39:25 AM
I for one can never see 50s or 60s Cadillac's ever being hot again. People seem to buy what they seen or had when they were younger. People that want a Cadillac from that era are established and have the resources to buy one already has one. Folks in there 20s or 30s are busy paying a mortgage, student loan or razing kids to buy an old car. As you say the newer cars are not appealing enough to be sought after. Can you ever see someone restore a 97 Cadillac? No as they were built like everything else to be disposable.

Not sure as being built to be disposable.  Given all the complexity of the technology available in cars of the last 20+ years, finding parts will just about be "mission impossible".  Gone are the days of the shade tree mechanic.

Not trying to be the spelling police, I was amused by your post of "razing kids".  I am sure you meant "raising"   On the other hand, seeing the lack of respect of many of todays kids, maybe razing was the right word  ;)
Eric Mason

Big Apple Caddy

I think what is being seen is largely the cyclical nature of the hobby.  If forums like this existed 30 or whatever years ago people would be making the same or similar comments about the old and older cars of that time.

As far as young people's interest in cars, I think it still exists more or less as it has before (taking into account recent economic issues) but how they choose to enjoy cars or the car hobby has changed.   There’s less need to regularly go to car shows, join car clubs, etc. when so much can be seen, shared, and learned online.

Bobby B

Quote from: e.mason on November 29, 2015, 09:23:29 AM
Yes they are.  Notice the prices that are being paid?  I suspect that they aren't going to the average person.

If you ask me, the prices have been coming down over the last few years on some of the cars that I've seen cross the block. You can't touch a restoration for what some of them go for. I know it's TV and you have to be there to see it in person, because it's a lot of fluff. But I think the prices on some marques has now become "affordable." There's been a few times that I would've looked into bidding on a car had I been there to check it out in person. Maybe the investors will back off and find another place to hide their money. Bottom line is that the economy sucks, and all your fun/play money you have stashed is now being used for priority things like paying bills, not buying toys.  As usual, the people with liquid are getting the bargains…….
                                                                                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jon S

This discussion has switched from "Lack of Cadillacs on the road" to "What's hot and what's not."  One of my son's 33 year old friends summed it up quite well over a discussion at Hershey this year.  He noted the fact the show (vendors) was not as busy as in previous years and attributed it to an aging generation of vendors with no "next generation" back filling and selling the parts.  He went on and predicted pre-1950's cars losing interest as that generation of followers is also disappearing.  Not that a pre-1950 Cadillac would not receive a lot of attention; just that those cars and other makes of the same era have lost their following/appeal.  He even predicted the 1950's as being much less sought after.

I asked him - what is "hot?'  His reply was the Muscle Cars of the mid-'60's through 1970's and he believes they will remain hot for quite some time.  I thought about it for a minute, and while not totally agreeing I do see his point. 

I know my son appreciates the 1950's cars, but never showed any interest in owning a pre-1950 automobile; although he loves the early to mid-1930's cars such as Cadillac, Lincoln, Packard, Dusenberg, etc. 

I remember my dad explaining the 1930's features to me at car shows, but my interests then were on the 1950's/1960's cars.

I think my son's friend has a good grasp on where things are going; I wish it were different.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

e.mason

Quote from: Bobby B on November 29, 2015, 09:58:05 AM
If you ask me, the prices have been coming down over the last few years on some of the cars that I've seen cross the block. You can't touch a restoration for what some of them go for. I know it's TV and you have to be there to see it in person, because it's a lot of fluff. But I think the prices on some marques has now become "affordable." There's been a few times that I would've looked into bidding on a car had I been there to check it out in person. Maybe the investors will back off and find another place to hide their money. Bottom line is that the economy sucks, and all your fun/play money you have stashed is now being used for priority things like paying bills, not buying toys.  As usual, the people with liquid are getting the bargains…….
                                                                                                                                                     Bobby

One has to define "affordable" and who it applies to.  I have also noticed the moderate decline on prices in recent history.  There are many factors to determine what a classic "is worth".  Among the top is the growth of "tech toys" i.e. TV's, Phones etc.  Back in the day when we only had 27" color TV's without stereo home theaters, phones that you only used to talk, and googling was done at the library, there was more discretionary money available for hobbies. 
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on November 29, 2015, 09:44:57 AM
I think what is being seen is largely the cyclical nature of the hobby.  If forums like this existed 30 or whatever years ago people would be making the same or similar comments about the old and older cars of that time.

As far as young people's interest in cars, I think it still exists more or less as it has before (taking into account recent economic issues) but how they choose to enjoy cars or the car hobby has changed.   There’s less need to regularly go to car shows, join car clubs, etc. when so much can be seen, shared, and learned online.

I never noticed the hobby being cyclical.  What types of vehicles being popular yes, but not the hobby itself.  The old line classics were replaced by the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: Jon S on November 29, 2015, 10:47:10 AM
This discussion has switched from "Lack of Cadillacs on the road" to "What's hot and what's not."  One of my son's 33 year old friends summed it up quite well over a discussion at Hershey this year.  He noted the fact the show (vendors) was not as busy as in previous years and attributed it to an aging generation of vendors with no "next generation" back filling and selling the parts.  He went on and predicted pre-1950's cars losing interest as that generation of followers is also disappearing.  Not that a pre-1950 Cadillac would not receive a lot of attention; just that those cars and other makes of the same era have lost their following/appeal.  He even predicted the 1950's as being much less sought after.

I asked him - what is "hot?'  His reply was the Muscle Cars of the mid-'60's through 1970's and he believes they will remain hot for quite some time.  I thought about it for a minute, and while not totally agreeing I do see his point. 

I know my son appreciates the 1950's cars, but never showed any interest in owning a pre-1950 automobile; although he loves the early to mid-1930's cars such as Cadillac, Lincoln, Packard, Dusenberg, etc. 

I remember my dad explaining the 1930's features to me at car shows, but my interests then were on the 1950's/1960's cars.

I think my son's friend has a good grasp on where things are going; I wish it were different.

Your sons friend is very perceptive and astute.  I never considered the vendors as a barometer of the state of the hobby.  Great observation.
Eric Mason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: e.mason on November 29, 2015, 11:25:34 AM
Your sons friend is very perceptive and astute.  I never considered the vendors as a barometer of the state of the hobby.  Great observation.

I don't know about that.

A lot of brick & mortar enterprises have been losing ground to internet sales; I daresay a parallel can be drawn with Hershey vendors.

Casual observation is well and good but proper analysis relies upon empirical data from the antique car industry. 

I will acknowledge the market at Hershey this fall was off. No doubt, the 10% weaker Euro from a year ago played some role in that.

Thanks.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jon S

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on November 29, 2015, 12:47:33 PM
I don't know about that.

A lot of brick & mortar enterprises have been losing ground to internet sales; I daresay a parallel can be drawn with Hershey vendors.

Casual observation is well and good but proper analysis relies upon empirical data from the antique car industry. 

I will acknowledge the market at Hershey this fall was off. No doubt, the 10% weaker Euro from a year ago played some role in that.
Thanks.

Not sure how much the internet is taking from the on-site sales, but most vendors I know come to the shows for the fun of it - if they sell a lot - great; if not, they had a good time.  I think the die hard vendors will be there rain or shine if health and other factors permit.  They add a lot to the show.  I prefer to touch/feel an item before I buy it . . . hard to do on the internet unless it's a fuel pump, brake shoes, etc.

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: e.mason on November 29, 2015, 11:20:16 AM
I never noticed the hobby being cyclical.  What types of vehicles being popular yes, but not the hobby itself.  The old line classics were replaced by the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

I was really more referring to the hobby as in the cars in the hobby as the OP was commenting about lack of seeing specific cars or years of cars.  Automobile use or interest goes through phases i.e. new, late model used, older used, early classic/collector interest, increasing collector interest, peak collector interest, declining collector interest, etc.   The popularity or interests in specific model years or types of vehicles change over time with each generation but that cycle of interest levels (mostly tied to age) is similar.

I would say the hobby itself and how people may participate in the hobby evolves similar to how other hobbies or societal activities may evolve over time.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Jon S link=topic=138782Not sure how much the internet is taking from the on-site sales, but most vendors I know come to the shows for the fun of it...

The effect cannot be overlooked nonetheless.

And while not all vendors are there strictly for business reasons, many are and expend considerable time, effort and costs to do so. The right amount of wind against one's sails (or sales, pardon the pun  ::)) can tip one's breaking point.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Joe V

The availability of parts and suppliers is a key factor. Each time I pay $40 or more for a replacement grommet, I understand the reasoning behind the current resto-mod trend of high volume 50's and 60's cars and the value of many parts suppliers. 

The right years and models of 100 point Cadillacs, like other investment vehicles, will always have a place in an investor's garage and command the higher dollar.  That is as long as classic cars are viewed as an investment.  But as I walked the recent Carlisle swap meet in Lakeland this month, I was hard pressed to even find a Cadillac badge.  While I did not expect it to be a haven for Cadillac parts, I think that type of swap meet is indicative of what current and new buyers want. 

55 cadi

Well the lack of Cadillacs is true, each year there are less and less of parts, yes there are repop's but not all parts.

Not everyone can make it out to Hershey to get parts or look at parts or cars, far less places to find parts for these older cars, Pomona car swap meet in California is a huge place with original parts, but there too also finding less parts.

Like said earlier the cars that seem to be the rage is muscle cars from the 60's, a lot of them made and out there, many parts still available, as well as repop available for a lot of parts, they had some style to them, chrome, easy to work on, and appeal to the younger age enthusiasts because there fast, and affordable. I don't think that will ever change I believe the 60's cars will always be "in" , the 70's started getting bad, 80's were worse, and the 90's didn't get any better.

I think it is true that the people selling parts and the parts for Cadillacs are shrinking each year,  but because of styling, the chrome, looks, I don't think Cadillacs will go away all together, but I don't see the number of Cadillacs increasing because of someone bringing one back that was rough, due to not getting parts to do so, unlike the 60's cars you see a lot coming back from the dead because parts are available.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

57eldoking

The answer is Sweden! Nowhere in the world will you meet as many 50s & 60s Cadillacs on the road as in Sweden. Their owners drive their cars a lot more than in the U.S. And there are extremely few trailer queens. In fact you're much more likely to find a classic Cadillac in Sweden with a trailer hitch to tow a small camper trailer! Even 53 & 59 Eldorados will have them, when was the last time you saw that in the U.S.?  Most cars are in great shape too, and many would do well at CLC or AACA events. At the Power Big Meet in Västeraas, Sweden this summer I believe there were nine 59 Biarritzes, all of them were driven to the show, some more than 1000 miles roundtrip!  If you have the opportunity take a trip to Sweden during the summer and attend a Power Meet, you'll be amazed!

1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

e.mason

Quote from: 57eldoking on November 29, 2015, 06:56:01 PM
The answer is Sweden! Nowhere in the world will you meet as many 50s & 60s Cadillacs on the road as in Sweden. Their owners drive their cars a lot more than in the U.S. And there are extremely few trailer queens. In fact you're much more likely to find a classic Cadillac in Sweden with a trailer hitch to tow a small camper trailer! Even 53 & 59 Eldorados will have them, when was the last time you saw that in the U.S.?  Most cars are in great shape too, and many would do well at CLC or AACA events. At the Power Big Meet in Västeraas, Sweden this summer I believe there were nine 59 Biarritzes, all of them were driven to the show, some more than 1000 miles roundtrip!  If you have the opportunity take a trip to Sweden during the summer and attend a Power Meet, you'll be amazed!

Would it be safe to say, that the Swedes that enjoy their Classic Cadillacs, are among the more, shall we say "affluent"?  I am under the impression that that the shipping costs alone are high, relatively speaking.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Many interesting thoughts and opinions on the state of the hobby.  My basic opinion, is that there will always be an interest in old cars.  I think with the passing of time, it will be more difficult to be involved, due to the lack of, and cost of parts.  I think this is especially true with today's automobiles and the wide spread use of technology.  I have heard a few stories of the difficulty of obtaining parts with some, not so old cars.  Time will tell.
Eric Mason

64\/54Cadillacking

I told you guys so! They're all in Sweden! :) :D

Today I decided to take the 64 out for a Sunday cruise, and I didn't see any other Classics on road. I usually see a few old cars, but lately it's like they all have disappeared. It's not the weather either as California is sunny year around. I can't remember the last time I've seen a classic Cad in my city.

Many people tell me I am old soul and should've been born in the 50's as I love all the nostalgic stuff from back in those days. The music, the cars, the style, the class people had in the way they dressed and treated each other.

Part of the reason being that muscle cars and hot rods will never die out, is because coupes have always been a Young Guy thing, and owning a big fast car has for years been something us guys crave. Having say a 69 Camaro or a 67 Mustang is hotter and sexier at picking up chicks than say a 50's or 60's Cadillac. Now I would have to disagree of course, but that's me. 8)

Fast powerful cars that handle great is simply more attractive and is in demand to a wide range of car enthusiast. Plus trying to sell a muscle car is much easier than trying to sell a classic Cad.

Movies like Fast N Furious, and car shows on TV that cater towards hot rods and customs, has added a heavy emphasis towards that segment.

We are a special group I have to say, and a rarity in this world. Classic luxury cars  like Cadillacs and Lincolns will always be associated with your grandfather, your  local neighborhood pimp, and the mob. Instead of being respected and looked at as fine cars that are of high quality, have superb styling and class, some balls under the hood to do burn outs, the general thinking among the public wont change any time soon unless the new Cadillacs erase that stigma somehow.

At the end of the day though, I can care less what others think. Our cars have soul and character, can't say that for 99% of the new cars out there .
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

57eldoking

Quote from: e.mason on November 29, 2015, 07:23:26 PM
Would it be safe to say, that the Swedes that enjoy their Classic Cadillacs, are among the more, shall we say "affluent"?  I am under the impression that that the shipping costs alone are high, relatively speaking.

I would say most are normal working middle class people which is also reflected in the fact that many camp out during weekend meets rather than stay in hotels. Another factor which I think helps the working man is that in Scandinavia everyone have 4-5 weeks of paid vacation every year. This gives you a lot more free time to attend shows and more time available to spend on your hobby. I think time constraints is a significant factor of why we see a majority of seniors and retirees in the car hobby states side.

Shipping costs are cheap, around $1200-1500 from both coasts to most European ports. I don't know why many think it's so expensive, you'll pay more than that for enclosed transport coast to coast in the U.S  ;)
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

The Tassie Devil(le)

Same in Australia, 4 to 6 weeks paid vacation every year, and generous Long Service Leave allow us to have a laid-back vacation, and drive to most events.

As for older Cadillacs and LaSalles, we have our share.   At last count there are 10 '57 and '58 Eldorado Broughams and 100 '59's in the Aussie CLC.   And, we do drive them.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon