News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

THE DANGER OF DRIVE-UP RAMPS

Started by jaxops, April 28, 2019, 07:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Jay Friedman on April 29, 2019, 01:44:32 PM
I've always wondered if you just use 4 jackstands to hold all 4 wheels off the floor, what would happen if you or an object fell heavily against the car.  Could the 4 jackstands incline to the point where the car would fall over?

I never use a bumper jack.  Not only do I feel it can damage the bumper, but it may be dangerous.  To change tires on the road (only happened twice in 35 years) I carry a scissors jack in the trunk.) 

I have 2 floor jacks in my garage, one being a heavy duty / quick lift bought at Northern Tool.  I also have a scissors jack I use to support the motor under the oil pan when removing the transmission.  And a small bottle jack for whatever....

What Scot said. I don't think even a tree falling on it would do anything to the the vehicle remaining on the stands. And I did happen to see what a tree falling on 2 cars would do last summer. Not my cars, thank the Lord.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

How big of a jack stand we talking about here?  And what sort of quality?  Most of the typical 2-3 ton ones you would likely buy in the last 20 or so years seem to barely be strong enough with a well centered load and don't do well at all with side loads. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Matt CLC#18621

I bought a pair of ramps at the old R&S Strauss in New Jersey ~ 15 years ago with plans to "change the oil" on my former 85 Biarritz but never used them until last year when I drove my son's 99 Mustang convertible up the ramps.

I put the emergency brake on, blocks behind the rear wheels, walked ~ 100 feet to the garage, started walking back towards the Mustang with supplies when both ramps tucked under and collapsed.

I had horrible visions of what would have happened to me and to my Family and shortly thereafter I had the oil changed at Firestone, which was worth the entire $21.95 plus tax and disposal fee that is never disclosed until the invoice is printed lol.

Hence, I have not changed the oil on any of my many Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc. after I sold my 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo custom convertible (manual top).

Stay safe,

Matt CLC #18621

chrisntam

this is what I'm currently using, obviously you can't use this if the wheels need removal.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

signart

I use a pair of 8" rims under front tires. It's not falling, and it's not rolling.

Art D. Woody

cadillacmike68

Quote from: signart on May 02, 2019, 05:42:51 PM
I use a pair of 8" rims under front tires. It's not falling, and it's not rolling

You know I have some 15x7s up in the attic. Never thought of using them as jackstands.

I use Craftsman 3 or 4 ton stands. I have a set of 4 that I bought probably 20+ years ago and two collapsible wedges. Never had a problem with them and I often use them on the inclined driveway. This was when Craftsmen meant Quality. My floor jack is an old Craftsman as well. I'm pretty sure they are all US made.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Here's an interesting alternative for those that do not
feel safe using drive on ramps.  You do need a good floor
jack to go along with these:

https://www.intheditch.com/FW2_ITD1132.php

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region