News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Any experience with Eaton Detroit Spring?

Started by gnorden, December 01, 2020, 11:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry s

My '41 67 Series sat high and had no give. Come to find out it had the wrong springs. When I called Eaton and gave them the year and model they had a set on the shelf. After instillation and a little driving the ride height and comfort is now correct.    Harry 
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
It's the settling in part that bothers me. New cars don't have to settle in. I think we've all seen cars that NEVER settled in. And they're always  too high, never too low. 90% of the repro items made are not quite right. Why???
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

savemy67

Hello gnorden (and all),

This is from the Eaton Detroit Spring website:

"We can design a custom stance (up to 2″ raised or lowered) or manufacture an Original Factory Blueprint Perfect set of restoration springs (your vehicle will sit just like it did out the factory!)"

and this:

"All springs will settle over time, however I believe your question should be “How much will springs settle shortly after being installed?” The answer is very little providing the springs are the right springs for the vehicle."

and this:

"So how much settling is “very little?”

"Correctly matched springs will settle no more than 1/4 to 1/2 Inch once the car is finished and driven. Any more than that means something is not right."

So, there seems to be a bit of a contradiction in what Eaton is saying.  Regardless, the website unequivocally states all the springs are made from 5160 alloy steel.  Since Eaton makes their own springs, they are buying round bar stock for their coil springs and putting that stock through their manufacturing processes.  Variations in the manufacturing processes will affect the springs manufactured.

5160 alloy steel is perfectly suited for springs.  The bar stock needs to be annealed at a temperature of 1450 degrees F.  Ideally, this is done before the stock is run through the "coiler" so as to not impart to many stress features on the stock.

We don't know what quality control methods are in use by Eaton, but it is possible for one batch of coil springs to be a little different than another, for the same vehicle.  If I was concerned that my ride height was no where near the factory ride height after installing a newly purchased set of springs from Eaton, I would certainly discuss this with them, especially in light of their statements on their website.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Clewisiii

When I was researching mine if you look in the shop manual you will find that even between models and option packages for the same year you could find different spring rates were used. 

Most of the listing for springs that you see only have one available for a particular year.  And that is normally the heavy duty option. 

That is why you need places like Eaton and Coil Spring Specialties.  They know that they need to build to the correct spec.   
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

gnorden

Coil Spring Update:  Eaton notified me yesterday that my springs have shipped after the long (7 week) delay, due to Covid and an unusually high number of orders.  I will let you know how they work out after installation.  Thanks to all for the input.  In the meantime, here is a link to a short video from Eaton on their manufacturing process:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdLxAsuxp2w  (which you might have to copy and paste)

Dr. John T. Welch

Eaton Detroit Spring is an amazing place.  I grew up very near it and never fully realized who they were and exactly what they did.  Especially cool for Cadillac people because it is still in its original location just 3 blocks from the now gone Cadillac Clark Ave. plant complex.  Right on Michigan Ave near Trumbull, it has even outlasted the historic  baseball Briggs/ Tiger Stadium.  Inside the plant is a total walk back in time. Stop by there if you are ever in Detroit. 
John T. Welch
CLC   24277