News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Out of state inspection

Started by EricW, September 05, 2023, 12:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricW

Hello all.  New member and first time posting.  I'm looking at a 1964 Deville that is 1400 miles away from me.  Unfortunately I cannot see the vehicle in person (well not that I can't but I don't want to fly out there). The exterior looks really really good in the pictures.  The bad per the seller: interior needs TLC, some rust on the driver side floorboard, carb needs repair, gas tank needs repair and he lost the keys.  It has not been driven in 12 years.  The seller is an older gentleman and he doesn't seem to want to climb under the car to take more photos, take a picture that the car is holding coolant, and a short video showing the motor turns over by hand.  The car is obviously not running at this time.  The car is priced fair for what he says needs to be done but I cannot verify much. 

I've never bought a car sight unseen from out of state so I'm welcoming any advice you guys may have.  I'm not sure how much an inspection is worth being the car won't turn on until repairs are made and the locks/ignition are keyed.  I'm mostly concerned about structural cancer.  If the motor is toast that's not a deal breaker for the price.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

RUN, don't WALK away from that Junker!!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

EricW

billyoung

Does not look to be a De Ville but rather a Series 62 4 window. In any case due to the cost involved in bringing it up to any realistic standard of usability you could potentially go financially underwater quite fast in my opinion. Also if it is in fact a Series 62 it will have the 429 motor but the older style Hydromatic rather than the Turbo Hydromatic, Big Difference.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

jwwseville60

Jason Edge is the expert on these 1963-1964 cars.

This non-running black car will need lots of work.
If the owner didnt care about the small things, imagine the big ones.
Cool project though. These hardtop sedans are stunning when done right, like a bigger CDV.
If its structurally sound its worth saving.

Also, it might be cheaper and better to go with a later TH400 tranny. It bolts up no problem.
Hydramatics are a bit pricy to rebuild, ditto the 429. But what a great combo when done.

Hers a nice one. It would save you cash and headaches. Unique Classic cars, MN.
HAs the TH400. (PRNDL)
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hydramatic remained on Series 62 models and Series 75 in 1964.

I would not recommend buying sight unseen.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

bctexas

Hi Eric.  To be blunt, the words "money pit" come to mind.  Find the CLC chapter nearest the car and get in touch with them - maybe a member will have a look for you.  Buying that car sight unseen sounds like a really bad idea unless you are truly looking for a basket case to revive.  If it was parked 12 years ago, it was likely parked because something awful happened to it..... 

Save the considerable bucks you will spend transporting the hulk home and put it towards a nicer car.  Buying the best car you can afford already done is advice I have gotten before - it seems sound advice to me....

Good luck in your search!

1965 CDV
1970 SDV

dn010

I would never buy a car "owned by an older gentleman", that doesn't run or drive, but has photos of it clearly sitting outside of an auto shop. Not only that, unless you go out there to pick it up yourself, not running with no keys and likely no brakes would make this extremely expensive to transport it home if you can even find someone who is willing to do it.

I too would forget this one and look at others.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

EricW

I guess I have a little more education to do!  Would it be worth a $300 vehicle inspector to go through the car to get the condition information?  I'm looking for a car to work on with my son, I just don't want a bunch of structural cancer under the car, that's my biggest concern.  I can do most moderate mechanical repairs and minor sheet metal like floor pans and such. 

Clewisiii

You say it is priced fair. But you don't say the price. $3,000, $10,000.  That will change our response. 

I picked a car that in no way is worth the amount of work and money I am putting in.  But that was my goal. I like the work more then the car. 

Your goals are to work on a car with your son.  Great.  Would you need to see a running car in a month, year, or decade to be worth it for you.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

EricW

Quote from: billyoung on September 05, 2023, 06:51:28 AMDoes not look to be a De Ville but rather a Series 62 4 window. In any case due to the cost involved in bringing it up to any realistic standard of usability you could potentially go financially underwater quite fast in my opinion. Also if it is in fact a Series 62 it will have the 429 motor but the older style Hydromatic rather than the Turbo Hydromatic, Big Difference.

For the comparison photos I can find the interior seat pattern looks to be Deville not the series 62.  Can anyone confirm?

EricW

Quote from: Clewisiii on September 05, 2023, 01:25:17 PMYou say it is priced fair. But you don't say the price. $3,000, $10,000.  That will change our response. 

I picked a car that in no way is worth the amount of work and money I am putting in.  But that was my goal. I like the work more then the car. 

Your goals are to work on a car with your son.  Great.  Would you need to see a running car in a month, year, or decade to be worth it for you.

I thought I posted $4000 shipped but I guess not.  Years to get it running is a no go.  I would like to get it running and driving within months.  I'm not looking for a concours level vehicle, just something I can cruise to the local car shows, take to dinner, take the boy to sports, etc.

Clewisiii

They are selling and shipping 1400 miles for $4000.  I almost think that is a scam post for selling and shipping at that price.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

EricW

Quote from: Clewisiii on September 05, 2023, 01:50:59 PMThey are selling and shipping 1400 miles for $4000.  I almost think that is a scam post for selling and shipping at that price.

$3,000.  I arranged transport myself for about $1,000. 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, At the least, I would want to see copies of the seller's Driver's license and the title and see if it matches. The car looks way too good on the surface and shipping thrown in for that price. And who the car would be shipped with. As much info as you can get before you completely fall in love with the car.

And join the CLC, and see if the guy belongs to the Club, or if there is a member reasonably close by to perhaps take a run to look at the car for you. Don't be in a hurry. (You get access to our on-line Directory where you can check members and others that have the same car.)

Scammers want you to act fast and shut down your thinking cap. While four grand is not too awfully much these days, it still is to me, and should be to you as well.

Best of luck. (And slow down.) There are many, many cars out there!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

EricW

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on September 05, 2023, 02:05:27 PMHi, At the least, I would want to see copies of the seller's Driver's license and the title and see if it matches. The car looks way too good on the surface and shipping thrown in for that price. And who the car would be shipped with. As much info as you can get before you completely fall in love with the car.

And join the CLC, and see if the guy belongs to the Club, or if there is a member reasonably close by to perhaps take a run to look at the car for you. Don't be in a hurry. (You get access to our on-line Directory where you can check members and others that have the same car.)

Scammers want you to act fast and shut down your thinking cap. While four grand is not too awfully much these days, it still is to me, and should be to you as well.

Best of luck. (And slow down.) There are many, many cars out there!

I sourced the transport company which will cost about $1,000. 

The seller has not pushed me to buy and is welcome to having a vehicle inspection done.  He has not pushed me to sell or get the deal done at all. 

If I purchase the car it will be through an escrow that I already have sourced. 

I appreciate the advice so far.

If someone is in the Brookshire TX area and wants to lend a hand it would be much appreciated. 

Lexi

Agree with most of the collective comments. Would still want to see it or have a local CLC member put eyes on this car before deciding to buy. Depends on your goals, but you could probably find something better and closer. With the few bucks you save on this sight unseen vehicle, buying a driver has a lot less unknows. The sight unseen vehicle is basically an unknown quantity and more of a gamble for a number of reasons. Clay/Lexi

Barry M Wheeler #2189

After looking at the pictures again, here's what I would do. Ask nicely for pictures of all four sides, and the interior. Get the VIN # so you can pin down the drivetrain.
It shouldn't be too hard for him to take a picture of the title for you. (I'm 87 and I can do that...)

What my take on being at the shop is that he had it towed there to get an estimate and it was more than he wanted to spend. After you get these items, I would offer him $2000 for the car so he doesn't have to mess with it anymore. And make sure the shop will let you leave the car there until it's picked up. And make sure the price you were quoted is the final price. Haulers have a way of finding "add-ons" to their "quoted price."

If it needs new seat covers, buy some leather ones from Lseat.com that might blend in for under a thousand bucks. And have fun.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

EricW

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on September 05, 2023, 03:37:50 PMAfter looking at the pictures again, here's what I would do. Ask nicely for pictures of all four sides, and the interior. Get the VIN # so you can pin down the drivetrain.
It shouldn't be too hard for him to take a picture of the title for you. (I'm 87 and I can do that...)

What my take on being at the shop is that he had it towed there to get an estimate and it was more than he wanted to spend. After you get these items, I would offer him $2000 for the car so he doesn't have to mess with it anymore. And make sure the shop will let you leave the car there until it's picked up. And make sure the price you were quoted is the final price. Haulers have a way of finding "add-ons" to their "quoted price."

If it needs new seat covers, buy some leather ones from Lseat.com that might blend in for under a thousand bucks. And have fun.

Thanks for the advice!