News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Hydra-Matic Transmission Question

Started by Bill Edmunds - #5484, January 06, 2005, 11:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Edmunds - #5484

Some years ago, I purchased a 1953 Cadillac Hydra-Matic transmission at Hershey (# A 53 - 1086).  A Club member has expressed interest in it for his 1952 CCP.  Does anyone know if this application will work or, for that matter, what other year Cadillacs can use this transmission? Thanks.  Bill Edmunds

Jeff Maltby #4194

Hi Bill. The 53 hydro will work down to at least 1949. There was an article written up in one of the old Self Starter mags about this subject and as I recall, the only mod needed was to the quadrant.

Jeff 49 fastback

Jeff Maltby #4194

Bill. The Dual Range hydro was first introduced in 1952 and remained the same until revised for 1956 as per 80 years of Cadillac lasalle by Mc CaLL, thus your 53 hydro should be a direct swap into a 52 with zero problems.

The April 1977 Self Starter mag has an interesting article for 49 buffs whom might be considering this conversion as follows:

Installing a 1952 Dual range Hydramatic in 1949 models by Bill Woodman Northrop Colorado.

One of the biggest improvments in the 1952 models was utilization of a revised hydramatic which incorporated the hydraulically applied reverse (to permit rocking of the car) from the 50 and 51 models and a change which allowed selection of 3rd and 4th gear for normal driving. I felt those advantages warranted use of the "Dual-Range" over rebuilding the "49 unit. On the other hand, I wanted to use the stock shifter mechanism-trannt mounts, etc. Let me say here that it all worked outperfectly. However, there are some minor mods.

1. All engine bolts and rear mount locations-same.
2. Use the 49 driveshaft including front yoke.
3. Gear shift linkage,indicator etc, work fine.
4.Use the 49 oil pan and dipstick. Slight grinding of the of the servo casting or re-denting side of pan may be necessary.
5. The throttle pressure rod from the carb will have to be slightly re-bent to clear the shifter arm (coming out of the steering column).
6. Speedometer gear (52) correct for 49.

Enjoy

Jeff 49 fastback :<)

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Jeff, What year was it that the Hydramatic first incorporated the design that allowed you to shift directly from "Neutral" to "Reverse" without clashing or pausing in "Dr" or "Lo" first? I have read that that came about with the 46s (following WWII improvements)and also that it began in the early 50s.  I test-drove a 47 Olds 98 a few years ago and the owner told me to engage "Dr" before "R". I, of course, did as he said, but at the time I didnt think it was necessary since it was a post-war car. Is the hydraulically-engaged reverse that you mentioned as allowing the car to be rocked the same mechanism that prevented "N" to "R" clashing? If so, then 1950 (per your post)would be the first year you didnt have to pause in a forward range before shifting to "R".

Jay Friedman

i am fairly certain that 51 was the first year that Hydramatics were modified to permit shifting to reverse without clashing.  

As mentioned in previous postings 52 was the first year that the quadrant had the S or Super position which held the transmission in 3rd gear. (L or Lo holds it in 2nd.)