News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

85 Eldo antenna replacement.

Started by Johnny # 662, March 31, 2006, 12:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny # 662

I am finally ready to replace my antenna on my 85 Eldo.  I remember a thread on this subject before but I am unable to locate it.  I am not going to do it myself and have found a shop that will do it for me.  2 Questions.

-What internet site is most reliable for ordering an antenna?
-What is the best way to get at the antenna.  I remember some saying to remove the hood latch and go in through the engine compartment, while others mention something about loosening the fender and doing it from the bottom of the fender.  Has anyone actually replaced the antenna on this model.

Thank you in advance.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Hi Johnny,

I have to get ready to go out to supper, but I can check my 79 shop manual when I get back. The procedure will be the same, since the Eldo body is used from 79 through 85.
As far as the on-line guys are concerned, Id try the one that offers the money back warranty. I think he sells them for $29.95.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

OK. This is how to remove a 79 Eldo, so I would assume it will work for your 85.
1. Raise hood, remove negative battery cable.
2. Support the front of the hood to the radiator support, and remove the RH hood hinge.
3. Disconnect the antenna electrical lead and antenna lead in.
4. Remove one screw from inside the RH door, securing the antenna to the fender.
5. Hold antenna in position and remove the escutcheon securing the antenna suppost tube to the fender. (Use tool J-25655...antenna nut wrench.)
6. Remove antenna through the hood hinge opening.
u. Remove mounting bracket and stub antenna (if CB) from antenna assembly.
Have fun. Hope this helps.

Johnny #662

Barry, much thanks for your help.  I think that will work with my 85.  Now I have to search out the right antenna on line.  I have found a couple of websites that offer antennas for the 85 Eldo.  One goes so far as saying to call first to make sure you are ordering the right antenna.