News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1975 Order Codes

Started by Richf1966, May 08, 2024, 08:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richf1966

Can someone please enlighten me on order codes that are listed on the window sticker. My 75' Eldorado convertible was built in November of 1974. The cowl tag states it was the 2370 eldorado built of the 8950 produced in 75'. I have read the production started in September of 74' for the 75' model year. So mine was built 3 months into the model year which makes sense since is number 2370.

I have seen an order code for an Eldorado with the code (E0741) and that vehicle was number 8684 off the assembly line. That puts it way late into the production year, almost the very end actually, 8684 of 8950.

Does anyone know what my order code would roughly be?
Does anyone know how to decipher a code such as E0741?

TIA
75' Eldorado Convertible

jagbuxx #12944

If you are referring to the order code that is on the window sticker I think that is that dealers sequential order for the Eldorados they ordered-I'm guessing a large dealer to have ordered 741 Eldorados for the year(coupe & convertible). For coupe deVille it would have an order # of J0xxx and so on....
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Richf1966

jagbuxx #12944

That makes some sense as E would indicate Eldorado but 0741 being the 741st car sold at the dealership at that particular point of the year? If production ends in late August that would mean that they sold roughly 92 Cadillacs sold a month (92.62 units x 8 months=741). Would that sound reasonable? Is that a realistic sales number? I suppose there are lots of factors that could impact that number. Thoughts?
75' Eldorado Convertible

Warren Rauch #4286

From the 1976 Optional specification manual  page 27.

" Order number is composed of Alpha Body Style Code, followed by sequential number of dealer's orders from 1. e.g. J1, B2,etc."

These are the instructions for filling out order form 5600A. The E is only Eldorado conv. ,The coupe would be  H.
So E0741 is an Eldo conv ,dealer order 741.

Note it doesn't say if the orders start new each year (model or calendar),
 but I think that model year  would be the case.

Your order number ,would depend on your dealer.

Warren

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

741 of 8950 produced would represent 8.28% of all 1975 ELCs produced (assuming there were no more than 741). Must have been a very high volume dealership and a good chance it had been a former distributor.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Warren Rauch #4286

The 741 is the total dealer orders to that point in time  of all body styles.There may have been only 5 Eldo Conv. 200 DeVille sedans ,100 DeVille coupes 100 Calais sedans ,etc for a total order to that point of 741 cars ordered.
  It was a busy Dealer , but not likely more than 1000 cars total for the year.

Warren

Richf1966

Warren,

Here's another question... When did the numbering start over? At the beginning of the new model year? Or at the calendar year (Jan 1st)? Would 0741 represent the 741st Car ordered from that dealer in the model year or in the calendar year?

That particular vehicle with that order number was ordered in Late 1975 order cycle, August 28, 1975, knowing that they started the new year every September, As stated in my original post, would that mean that They sold 741 cars from say September 15, 1974 (Is when they started selling the 75 models) through September 14, 1975, when they stopped selling 75 models and started Selling 1976 models. I know my vehicle was built in 11/74 and my trim tag shows 02370. That makes sense as a coincides with the fact that that was in the first three months of the production year and my trim tag is 2370 out of 8950. First quarter of the 75 model year, 2370 is about a quarter of the total Production of convertible that year. Am I making sense?

Again, getting back to my original question, my Eldorado was built in 11/74, the 2370 eldorados off the line, If the dealer sells 92 vehicles a month, the dealer was McCall-Fransden in Tarrytown NY (now called Sleepy Hollow), they also sold Opels. It was located about 35 miles from Manhattan.

What would you typically expect my order number to be? (E0---)
75' Eldorado Convertible

Warren Rauch #4286

When was the start? 
 As I stated in my first posting, I don't know if its calendar or model year. But, I would guess it is model year.

I am understanding that the 2 Eldo's you are giving facts about are from different dealers. That being the case, you can't tell anything from their sales records.

You need to know more about the order of any body style from the dealer that sold your car.
  Remmember the order was placed weeks before production. Special orders could take up to 12 weeks. Most orders were under one month.

You should get a copy of the production information on your car. I don't know if the order number will be there,but I can't think of another way that might give you the order number.

Warren

Richf1966

I apologize as I missed that Information of your first posting.

Yes that's what I was asking (model year versus calendar) and yes both those vehicles that I was referring to were different dealers. I'm not sure if you were aware, but several years ago Cadillac had a fire and many records were destroyed. They cannot supply any information for vehicles built between 1974 through 1979. My only hope is to be able to find a build sheet somewhere in the vehicle.
75' Eldorado Convertible