News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Remove and inspect your fender skirts if they have not been off for a while !

Started by TJ Hopland, April 14, 2024, 03:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Another tip that was something I have never had issues with before but looks like a possible issue now is crud build up at the bottoms of the fender skirts.  My car hardly ever sees rain anymore but if it ever did this build up could be a problem getting wet and retaining moisture.  It was mostly sand like stuff built up but I'm sure there was enough dirt in there to hold moisture if it ever did get wet. 

The other reason to do this is to make sure the mechanism isn't bound up.  I don't remember the last time I had mine off, have not driven much the last several years.  It really took some effort to get the latch to move, once it did move it moved easily so its not like its rusted solid. Don't want that to add to the adventure if I had a flat and had to do a roadside repair. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whenever I wash my car, I always remove the Spats and hose out the insides, front and back to remove the road grime that gets in there.

Yes, I am not surprised at how much gravel and crap gets caught in there as the roads are dirty, and where I drive, the gravel roads like staying with me.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Yes, even on cars never driven on wet roads it's surprising how much dirt accumulates in the skirt area.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I actually had to get the pressure washer out to get the stuff out of the main horizontal lip.  I didn't run it on full power but the material was too hard to pick out with soft instruments or compressed air.  Paint was still in good shape so it must have dried before it could do damage. 

Jim Miller

Like Bruce, I take mine off whenever I wash the car. Also easier to clean the white walls. About once a year I hose the wheel wells with hot water to flush road film etc from the bottom. I do that on a warm dry day so she drys well up under there.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

cadillacmike68

I remove and wash the skirts on my DVC separately every time I wash it. The same goes for the Fleetwood.

Sometimes I pop the wheel covers off and thoroughly wash them and the wheels and every couple of years I remove the wheels and wash them inside and outside.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

Wow looks like its just me that hasn't taken mine off in a long time. 

David Greenburg

My cars never see rain and rarely see a hose, but still get plenty of dirt, grit etc. in the skirts. It's no wonder so many out in the real world have rusty skirts. I pop them off at least once a year, usually during the spring detail and garage spa week to clean, and on the Eldo, to tighten/adjust the skirt trim if needed.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

jwwseville60

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"