News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

With the pressures you report (30/170) I would suggest that the refrigeration side of the system is functioning and not over charged. I would look elsewhere for the issue and your '70 I would suggest disconnecting (and plugging) the large vacuum line that goes to the programmer actuator, that is ocated at the firewall on the driver's side and has several small vacuum line connected to it. Just disconnect the large vacuum line. This should rive the system into full cooling.
You may also have an issue with the purge vent, but check one thing at a time. I would not do anything with the refrigeration system for now.
Greg Surfas
Technical / Authenticity / Re: '61 Water Pump
Last post by David Greenburg - April 29, 2024, 09:53:47 PM
I've had both fuel and water pumps rebuilt by the new iteration of Gould Rebuilders and they have held up fine. Another excellent water pump rebuilder is Flying Dutchman.  They specialize in water pumps specifically, and I had them redo my '61 pump recently. They did a great job, although it took a couple of weeks.
Technical / Authenticity / Oil Pump & Distributer Gear & ...
Last post by 49 Caddy - April 29, 2024, 09:24:44 PM
  Starting to re-assemble my 49 Caddy 331 cu. in. motor.  Machine shop put short block together, including the camshaft.  Can someone please enlighten me on installing the oil pump & distributer gear and shaft.  How do you install the gear and shaft without dropping something inside the engine?  I did not take it apart before gong to the shop and my manual does not step by step it.  All I have is a cross-view of the motor.
General Discussion / Re: 1975 Eldorado just sold fo...
Last post by Bryan J Moran - April 29, 2024, 08:33:29 PM
That's crazy.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1970 AC R12 how to charge?
Last post by Dave Shepherd - April 29, 2024, 07:58:12 PM
Now that is charged the system would have be evacuted with the proper equipment and recharged with the controlled amount of 4lbs. That just ensures the proper amount is in the system.
Last post by jmurrayent - April 29, 2024, 07:43:30 PM
Hi Dave, yes the cold side pipe is cold, not frosty cold, but pretty cold.  The dial is set at auto, but I"ve also tried it on full high.  Is there any way to charge the system using the pressure gauges and site glass or is 4 lb volume the only way? Thanks
Last post by Dave Shepherd - April 29, 2024, 07:03:35 PM
Couple of basic things here, is the system in full a.c. mode, is the water control valve not allowing any hot water into the heater core, is the low side pipe cold to the touch? Of course the right way to charge system  is to use a charging station to control the 4lb charge requirement.
Last post by scottsdaleaz - April 29, 2024, 06:46:50 PM
I saved a couple of the engine bay pics for reference...
Last post by TJ Hopland - April 29, 2024, 05:14:16 PM
I guess you are paying for all the pictures?  Seems like 100 would have been plenty. 
Last post by Richf1966 - April 29, 2024, 05:03:49 PM
Almost makes me want to put mine up to see what it would bring...its a unicorn color Cameo Rosewood Firemist