News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 CADILLAC SEDAN DEVILLE - 11,700 MILES not mine

Started by Glaswegian, November 03, 2018, 07:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glaswegian

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Heck, why not just make it a '59 Biarritz at that price too?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Glaswegian

"Heck, why not just make it a '59 Biarritz at that price too? "

::)

BJM

Old cheapskate here (aka: me) would pony up $13,500 any day of the week.  1st, kudos to THIS seller for doing what 99% of the sellers won't and that replacing the fillers and having them professionally painted and installed.

I am tired of the "easy fix" line of sellers who say the fillers can be purchased on ebay for $99 "easy fix"  OK then do it BEFORE selling it. 

Beyond that as some of you know this color combination is a favorite. I love it.  The 2000 Eldorado is at the dealer now getting $4000 in repairs.  It's November so I am probably doing a reset until April or May 2019 to get the 2nd car.  But, I would have no issue spending $13,000 on this car if it is what is as described.   

Jason Edge has a 64 Sedan DeVille on his 63/64 newsletter for $12,500 with 46,000 one owner miles.  But the 70's low mileag well sorted Cadillacs are just as nice, just as big or bigger as the 60's. 

Thanks for finding this one.  I wonder how fast it will sell and for what price.  It's a Benchmark car.

Nice to see they got the stainless steel bezels around the stop/reverse lenses. Often these are omitted when fillers are replaced (1976 models). The short curved sections of edging are missing from either side of the fuel door cutouts however, but the other edging is present which again, is often neglected.

I also noticed the Unleaded Fuel Only decal wasn't overlooked either. Definitely one of the more upstanding filler-jobs-on-a-76 I've seen.

Now how about a time machine to go back and order this gem in 3x black or 2x black + red leather as God intended?  ;D  The price might be a little different though...

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

A beautiful car.  One nitpicky thing I noticed.
The paint shop didn't quite match the shade
on the rear fillers, a common issue.  Yes, it
can be done with a little effort.

Look at pic #10 and it's obvious.  Something
like this would really annoy me if it were mine.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

chrisntam

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on November 03, 2018, 02:34:07 PM
A beautiful car.  One nitpicky thing I noticed.
The paint shop didn't quite match the shade
on the rear fillers, a common issue.  Yes, it
can be done with a little effort.

Look at pic #10 and it's obvious.  Something
like this would really annoy me if it were mine.

Mike

So much for having it "professionally" done.  Looks like crap.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

gkhashem

This really is a nice car, but maybe spend another $300-400 on repainting the fillers for a better match. But a small item for otherwise a nicely preserved car.

The interior looks mint no dings or dents. Fillers do have most of the details attended to. This is a 42 year old low mileage car which should ride like a new car. You cannot say that for most of the cars we look at here for sale. I bet it rides better than all those "frame off" cars for sure.

Nothing is perfect, even a brand new car can be nitpicked.

On second look many of the other shots the color of the fillers seems closer??
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Quote from: chrisntam on November 03, 2018, 07:34:10 PM
So much for having it "professionally" done.  Looks like crap.

So get them resprayed again what's the big deal?  At least 90% of the heavy lifting has already been done. Besides it was not uncommon for fillers to be off-color when they left the plant, not to mention the front fenders mismatched from front doors.

This is almost inevitable where body panels are painted at two separate times, by different people, in different plants, with different batches of paint-  and especially noticeable with light metallic colors.

BJM

Yeah it would bother me a little but not enough to not buy the car.

Besides these are only photos and In person it may not be as noticeable.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

OK, you big spenders! Who wants me to drive twenty three miles up to Monticello and inspect this closer for you? That is only the next county over. It was probably sold by Hubbards in Monticello who garnered some minor fame by keeping a Bengal Tiger in the showroom. (Or somewhere on the lot.) They were competitors of the dealership I worked for in 1992-1995. (I've had a low mileage '76 myself, so am somewhat familiar with them.)

Put up or shut up, now. It deserves a home out of the rust belt. (I might even be somewhat prejudiced if you bring it to Louisville and I'm on the team to judge it for the PP Preservation Award.)

Oh, and the horn pad would bother me a LOT more than the fillers. (You look at the horn button all the time.) And it's not as exciting, but it really isn't too awful a job to clean under the hood if you're selling a "new" car. That's one of the things I really like about my '91 Seville.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

No one wants a closer look? It really is located about twenty five miles from me...Gonna be cold and rainy with possible snow over the weekend and I'm not going out in that.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Barry,
Hardly ANYONE on this board buys a car listed here. It's a waste of time listing them. However...they love to nitpick & criticize the price! Pretty sad.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

chrisntam

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on November 05, 2018, 08:28:51 PM
Barry,
Hardly ANYONE on this board buys a car listed here. It's a waste of time listing them. However...they love to nitpick & criticize the price! Pretty sad.
Bob

Yes, I'm nick-picking the "professionally" done paint.  EVERYBODY color matches.  It ain't that hard.  Had it done on my '70 this spring.  Even Stevie Wonder would agree it is a poor match.

So you'd accept that if you paid money for that work????

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

If I had the work done, I wouldn't accept it. If I was buying the car, I'd accept that if most everything else was to my satisfaction. Nothing is perfect!! I'd like to see what quality level you nitpickers are offering!! And how cheap your prices are. I'm sure we'll never see it.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

gkhashem

Color matching is not really easy, but with that said I agree with Bob I would make them do it again.

However, when you look at the direct rear shot it looks closer so I am not sure what is up.

The other point is about nit picking. A car with this low mileage and such nice overall cosmetic appearance will not be perfect.  It's 42 years old it appears to be about as close as you can get. So as long as it is nice you overlook a few minor flaws for the sake of originality. It's a compromise.

Then we get all the nit pickers then rave about some junk being a prime restoration candidate. You guys buy those I would buy this, but I have 10 cars already. If I was looking for a Fleetwood of this year I would go see it. Bring some cash and get it for maybe  $14-15,000. Who is to say the price is way out of line. Seems a bit high but then again it looks great and probably has no rattles and drives like a new car. Steering tight, smooth, etc...etc...  Any of you guys ever drive a low mileage original car. It drives the part.

Plus this car will only hold it's value and maybe go up when you are dead of course but it should have little depreciation if you take care of it.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

BJM

We are basing our opinions on photos and I think those photos are playing tricks with us.  1st, the paint was likely mixed according to the correct paint code on the car. If you do look at the trunk shot, I don't see any issues with the fillers. Looking at the side shots, yes it looks a bit darker but someone needs to see it in person. 

2nd, if you look at I believe photo 2, the BODY (rear quarter drivers side) looks darker than the new filler, yet the one passenger rear shot the colors look in reverse!

Sorry if it sounds like I am nitpicking, I am not. I am on the side of saying this is a beautiful 70's Cadillac worth the money or a near offer.  Archival cars like this don't come along often. 

As I mentioned, November is the wrong time of year for me to buy that 2nd or 3rd Cadillac. Willis Cadillac (dealer) and Safelite Windshields just extracted $4500 from me for my 2000 Eldorado, and Christmas and winter are coming.