News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 series 75 rear shock links

Started by limo Jason, April 14, 2024, 08:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limo Jason

While climbing under my 1949 series 75 sedan trying to chase down a different problem, I looked over and found this.  I'm assuming the pressed in bushing has worn out and come apart and the only fix for this to replace the shock linkes with new ones?  I know 75 series are different from the rest.  Has anyone purchased these in the last few months?  I live in the Midwest and I'm looking for a vendor that carries them.  Thanks.

J. Russo

Apple Hydraulics may have them or they may be able to restore yours.

http://applehydraulicsonline.com/

Lazar is the contact there.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Jim Miller

I just had Apple Hydraulics refurbish the ones on '41. They will need the link and the pins. I took the rear shocks off to get to the pins. Use a puller - don't try to drive the pins out with a hammer and punch. New ones are just about nonexistent. If you have access to a lift it's much easier and take back tires off. Just gives a bit more room to work. The '41 has a panhard bar which pulls the axle to the side a bit when she's off the ground making it a challenge to reinstall.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

toybox

Jason , If you have a torch heat the end of the arm up and the pin will come out much easier. Put a anvil or big hammer on one side of the arm and smack it with an good sized hammer on the other and it will pop out. We use the same prosses with most tapered bolt/stud extractions such as tie rod ends and ball joints. Tim

Jim Miller

Quote from: toybox on April 16, 2024, 08:47:56 AMJason , If you have a torch heat the end of the arm up and the pin will come out much easier. Put a anvil or big hammer on one side of the arm and smack it with an good sized hammer on the other and it will pop out. We use the same prosses with most tapered bolt/stud extractions such as tie rod ends and ball joints. Tim
Tim - you are correct about using the torch. I've not been comfortable using a torch so I put the tension on with the puller then hit it with the hammer. Popped right out.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX