News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

What replacement shocks for 71 Eldorado?

Started by Rich CLC #11473, January 07, 2005, 04:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich CLC #11473

In restoring a 71 Eldorado (Convertible), the shop has replaced the original (worn-out, 47,000 miles) shocks with Monroe air shocks, and although very close to appearing to be the correct height, the rear of the car looks slightly high. The pressure is at 20 pounds, and as low as safely recommended. We could not locate "Delco" replacement shocks, and a GM Parts rep said if there were shocks made for this car, Monroe would probably make them for Delco? Now, Im curious as to what replacement shocks are best for the most authentically original car appearance as to height/ride?

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Well on my sons 72 and my 77, Monroe air shocks were the choice...the only one we could find..to replace the rear shocks.  I thought mine sat a little high too so I let some out to lower the rear a little and they work wonderfully!
You might also want to check the springs if you have not already done so.  I found that the shocks are for the wheels and not to hold the car up.  The springs should do that job, and if the springs are weak, then they are not doing the job and putting the weight on the shocks.  I had both replaced the shocks and springs.  The car now rides beautifully.

Porter

To stabilize the springs.

Greg McDonell just replaced his 66 Eldo air shocks for the ALC system, Monroes are your only choice. I think the front Delcos can  still be had. ( and were in this case )

Shock choices are slim to none for many of the old Cadillacs, On my 66 Vette I installed the TRW fiberglass rear leafspring (replacing the old truck like transverse steel spring) and Bilsteins at all fours, that and some BF Goodrich TA radials and a front end rebuilt with new springs made the car handle like a modern Vette. Nothing that altered the originality of the car, just improved driveabilty.

The 84 C4 Corvette road like a stiff truck but it handled wicked, the engineers smoothed out the ride with future models using softer springs and stiffer shocks, you have to keep the tires on the road.

Porters non eBay 2 cents for the day

Mike #19861

You did not state weather or not the ALC system was otherwise functioning or not. If it is, it is merely an adjustment on the level control valve that will lower the rear of the car to the correct height.

If you are just putting air in them through a valve in the rear, I would suggest letting out some air so that the ride height is to where it is supposed to be. Even 20psi in these shocks will provide some lift.

And yes, conventional shocks do not affect ride height whatsoever, but these air shocks are designed as a supplement to the springs to accomodate extra loads in the rear and keep the ride height at the correct level.

But remember in the 70s when so many used them to jack up the rear of the car to accomodate big tires and get that ass up rake that was so cool then?

Mike

Rich CLC #11473

Thanks for the information. The automatic level control was not functioning (although making a noise) so it was disconnected. The springs were deemed not to need replacement--but Ill pursue that further during my next discussion with the shop. Just want to keep that long, low, sleek look to accentuate the unique Cadillac styling! Even the profile shots in Cadillac ads of that vintage show the fender skirt/hubcap relationship, and they indicate that the car was designed to set rather low.

Mike #19861

The publicity shots of the era deliberatly set the right height lower than the actual car you bought. This was simply for ad copy to make the car appear lower and longer. The cars did sit higher.

You can check your ride height with the actual curb ride height specifications in the manual and you will find that they are indeed higher than the shots you see in the brochures.

Mike

Porter

Or at least to verify whether one side is sagging.

Depending on the mileage of the car or the load use.

We are talking about old cars here but I would think mileage would be the factor.

My old garage mechanics thought I wasting my money when I had them replace the springs when they rebuilt a front end for me, I thought it was money well spent, at least for the front end rebuild. Does the weight of the car fatigue the springs after a few decades or more ? I dunno. I would imagine the rear springs bear the brunt of the load weight, they dont last forever, maybe an experienced mechanic can weigh in here on this one.

Your mileage may vary,

Porter

Mike #19861

Yes, springs do sag with age. Particularly on large softly sprung cars like these old Cadillacs. The shocks in the rear will compnsate for it, and since these Eldorados use torsion bars in the front, they can usually be adjusted back to their like new height.

It is good policy to replace springs on an older car if you are rebuilding the suspension. This returns everything to factory specification including the load lines, scrb radius and correct alignment specs.

Mike

Porter

Only kidding, you would think since Bruce Reynolds has been awol there would be no comedy. Just picking up the slack till he returns.

We can always count on you for experienced hands on advice from the trenches of wrench turning.

My favorite was when I bought my 66 Vettte, typical, the transverse leaf spring had sagged and they bent the strut rods to align the rear end.

They were replaced along with the leaf spring.

Coil and leaf springs go bad from age and good to have you back up my opinion on spring replacement.

Good steel though, we used to use it in blacksmithing class back in my college days, great for making knives and machetes, etc.

Porter

Dave MacGregor #18998

I was surprised when you said you couldnt find genuine AC Delco shocks for your car because just last year I replaced the rear air shocks on my 77 Eldo with AC Delcos and used an adapter kit to hook up to he ALC system which was then and is still currently working just great.

Anyhow, I looked up your car on the AC Delco web site and they do list your shocks for your car all the way around and mention the adapter kit too.

(See Info Below)

AR  560-8  ABSORBER,FRT SHK    
02  520-268  ABSORBER,FRT SHK  GAS CHARGED  
02  504-510  ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK  AIR ADJUSTABLE  
AR  504-66  ABSORBER,RR SHK RED AIR LIFT  
ADAPTER KIT P501 REQUIRED FOR AUTOMATIC LEVEL CONTROL

Sorry for finding this info a bit late for you, but really didnt go wrong with your Monroes either as they are very good shocks too.

Regarding the ride height of your car, I know that somewhere in the GM repair manual for your car that it does give specifications on this and where to measure and reference from for finding out if the vehicle is sitting just right.

Good Luck!

Dave    

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Thank you for the information. Restorer went to a GM dealer parts source (although Buick) that he knew and was told the earlier information about not locating any Delco shocks. I have the shop manual (at the restorers) and will measure accordingly, but even at the 20 pounds pressure, I think it looks a little high (especially the rear).

Dave MacGregor #18998

Youre Welcome!

I can see possibly that going to a Buick dealer "might" warrant some confusion on getting the shocks.

What I did to get mine was look them up on the internet and went over to the local Cadillac dealership and ordered them with the numbers I gave them.  Had no probs either.

OH! While visiting your local Caddy dealership, you may also want to look into other possible ACDelco parts for your car that are useful for tuneups, maintenance, etc.  Youd be surprised what may still be available even for your 71, especially if you can locate the part numbers before the trip.  How bout that metal air breather between the air filter and valve cover (if you have one), ORIGINAL GM Cadillac key blanks proper for your year, the temp sensor on the engine for the heater fan to kick on, OEM DAYCO belts and hoses?  Those were a few my dealership was kind enough to dig up, find, acquire, or even find in the back!

Just had to get in those last thoughts for fun as you never know what you can find, especially since these days and times its assumed the stuff is automatically not available!

Gotta Go Now!  Good Luck again with your shocks!