News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

EB #590 at Petit Jean

Started by Charles D. Barnette, June 22, 2009, 11:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette

Four years ago MOTAA officials asked me to bring my 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham #590 to Petit Jean Mountain near Morrilton, Arkansas, to be featured at the annual Father's Day Car Show in 2009. I agreed; and although it kept me from going to Vegas last weekend for the Grand National, I think the Brougham represented Cadillac very well at the show. It is a 5 hour drive from Texarkana-my home- so I decided to trailer my EB for the trip to the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. Carla will post the travel pictures, display pictures of the EB on the mountain top (including one scenic view), and the other 2 Cadillacs in attendance-one from the 70s and an Allante with a Packard in front that needed some TLC. Enjoy! Charles D. Barnette

Carla Tynes

Here is my EB en route to Petit Jean in Arkansas.

Carla Tynes

Here is a picture of the truck, trailer, and EB all together and the beautiful country-side witnessed.

Carla Tynes

Here are creative shots from the truck rear view mirror and from the side mirror of the EB in transit. 

Carla Tynes

Here is the EB on the mountain top on display at the show.

Carla Tynes

Here are more display pictures - the only way to display an EB is to open the doors.

Carla Tynes

Here is a display picture and a partial overview of the show taking place on the mountain.

Carla Tynes

Here are two other Cadillacs at the show.  Notice the Packard from the 30's in front of the Allante.  The Packard causes one to dream as to how it would look when fully restored. 

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: Carla Tynes on June 22, 2009, 12:12:46 PM
Here are two other Cadillacs at the show.  Notice the Packard from the 30's in front of the Allante.  The Packard causes one to dream as to how it would look when fully restored. 

I would have voted to view the landscape through the bubble glass of the Brougham, enjoy the air suspension on such a nice run. 

The fun now of having a running Brougham that is not show room worthy is liberating, just get it out and run it hard as the car was meant in the begining.  Most folks have never seen one and if they did, it was not on the road.  So I'm showing mine off in its unrefined state and having a great time.

I do understand a milestone car deserves great care and have read about yours, so I'm not beating you up for not driving it, but just a reminder as to how nice these cars do perform in service when just used as a car.  Follow Morgan Murphy's adventure to confirm or disprove my opinion.  There is a challenge for sure, but the fun is the best kind of fun.

My to cents and shot of 615 roadworthy.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

jeff1956

Charles,

Beautiful Eldorado Brougham.  I really wanted to make the 200 mile trip to Petit Jean with my 56 Fleetwood, but my gut feeling told me not to try it.  I avoid interstates like the plague and unfortunately, there's not a good backway to get there from here.  I know the old gal is plenty roadworthy, but I just did not feel up to the trip, especially in interstate traffic.  Had I had access to a trailer, I would have went ahead and brought the car.  There's always next year....and as long as it doesn't interfere with the GN then I will probably go ahead and bring her to Petit Jean.  That is, if I decide to keep her.

Jeff

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Reply to Carla, thanks for posting the pics. But... are you towing that trailer AND the EB with a 1/2 ton pickup??? I personally think it's VERY dangerous. You know the story about the tail wagging the dog. Please check with some trailering experts, I think they'll agree. You need a 3/4 ton minimum. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Charles D. Barnette

I appreciate all the comments. I do drive my Eldorado Brougham to local shows within a 150 mile radius of Texarkana. So I do not consider her to be a "Trailer Queen"! However to Petit Jean with the twists and turns in the mountains I felt it best to trailer her. Mr. Hoffman is probably right in his comments about the size of the tow vehicle. It is better to be safe than sorry. On the Buick site is an instance where a 60 Buick fell off its trailer onto its top while being towed, because of the incorrect trailer used. On my trip I am convinced that the "EB Gods" were with me no matter what dumb, ignorant mistakes I made as the car was destined to be featured on that mountain at that particular time to be honored and to honor Cadillac. She is now safely back in Texarkana telling her stablemate-a 1955 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan-all about the adventure! We did plan the route to go up the backside (less steep) of the mountain rather than from the front side of the mountain which is virtually straight up. There have been three people killed coming down the front side of that mountain where the brakes go out and you have an option of running off the cliff hundreds of feet on the right or running into rock on the left side to slow or stop the vehicle. The friend that was driving the truck had hauled a 1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille and a 1955 Cadillac Fleetwood in a three state area using the same setup as we used for the EB. I have learned alot from the whole experience however. Charles D. Barnette

Jeff Maltby 4194

I've trailered many 48-49 Cads/one 49 Packard with my 71 GMC 1/2 ton truck back in my days. My current 96 Toyota T-100 hauled a 67 Plymouth Fury home few years back.

Where's the Beef ? :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Brian Laurance

Charles, your Eldorado Brougham is spectacular.  I have intended to ask you for a photo, so thanks for posting your photos here.