News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 starting problem..only when hot...

Started by russ, January 19, 2009, 11:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ

my 67 convertible turns right over and starts when cold...and it runs great.  If I stop for gas..have it shut off for 5 minutes...when I go to start, it really hesitates, you turn the key and you think it's dead...then the starter will try to crank ...sometimes it catches..other times, you let it cool off for a few minutes and then it will start right up ? the starter and cables are have all been replaced in the last 4 years...could it be these ? or is this vapor lock ? only does this when it's hot...any insight / advice/ help would be appreciated.

Otto Skorzeny

When you say only when hot, do you mean hot engine or hot days or both?

Are your cables the correct diameter (gauge)? Not too thick, not too thin? Are connections , including grounds firm and clean? What condition is the battery in?

You say the starter hesitates and you think it's dead. Those are not symptoms of vapor lock.

When you say the starter will try to crank, does it crank slowly or spin fast and strong?

My inclination is that you have a problem with the starter. Did you buy new or rebuilt? Or did you have your original rebuilt?

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Philippe M. Ruel

If the battery is new or like new, it may be a charging system trouble : battery is weak after driving, and "recovers" after a few minutes. Check it or have it checked promptly.

Is it the original exhaust system, or aftermarket ("4-in-1" or so) manifolds that get too close to the starter ?
1952 60 Special in France.

Roger Zimmermann

It can be also the starter motor relay, located on top of the starter motor. They go bad with age and mileage.
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

russ

thanks for the replies...

it only does this when the engine is hot...after it cools off, all is fine...the battery is new...only a few months old...the exhaust system has been on there forever...

russ

when I say the starter hesitates...it doesn't want to spin at all....it acts like it is being driven by a dead battery ( which isn't the case, the battery is new) and doesn't want turn over...again when the car is cold, it turns right over no problem and starts right up...

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: russ on January 20, 2009, 07:23:11 AM
when I say the starter hesitates...it doesn't want to spin at all....it acts like it is being driven by a dead battery
Exactly the syptom from a bad relay.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

jaxops

It could also be the dreaded "vapor lock."  Check your carburetor settings and your timing.  A lot of my vapor locking was being caused by incorrect timing.  It may have been correct, but the car ran better after making some further adjustments.  Note that there is a pretty wide range for dwell as an example.  I don't remember my Dad having vapor lock problems with the mid-sixties cars.  Keep working the car through the issues.  It took me several months of adjustments and retightening to stop the leaks and the rough timing. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

35-709

Vapor lock has to do with the fuel in the fuel lines, not a hesitant starter.  Basically, all other things being equal, with vapor lock the engine will turn over normally but will not start because the fuel cannot get to the carburetor.  The problem as described by "russ" is not caused by vapor lock.  As has been suggested make sure all starter/battery/ground, connections are clean and tight.  A bad relay is certainly a distinct possibility ---- also, new or rebuilt components can fail anytime and should not be overlooked just because they are new or rebuilt.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

mgbeda

I used to have a similar problem with my '76.  The cause was that the positive battery cable to the starter just got too hot from the nearby exhaust manifold.  This increased resistance in the cable and left the car just barely able to crank when hot.  I solved the problem by getting oversized (about half inch diameter) battery cables, routing the positive one as far from the manifold as possible and fashioning a "heat shield" for the cable with shiny aluminum tape.  I've never had the problem since.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Russ,
Check your battery connections at the starter and at the battery as well as the ground cable  at the battery and at the frame where it connects.  You might just check to see that the battery posts are clean and the contact at the posts is good.
Also verify that the ground strap from the sarter to the frame (or engine) is good and the connections are firm.  As an added task while you are under there, check to see that all the screws holding the starter solonoid to the starter case are tight, and all the screws and small gage wiring connections are tigne on the end cap of the starter solonoid.
I think you will find this elusive gremlin soon. It doesn't sound too serious.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

russ

I changed out the starter today...put another rebuilt one in..and it's fine now...the old one only lasted 5K miles...all the connections, cables, ground etc were fine.....I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone...I've learned more things to watch-out for...thanks again for your help.

Russ

The Tassie Devil(le)

Did you get the old Starter motor diagnosed as to what the problem was?

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon