News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 60s 346 need info.

Started by mattwilk1972, January 08, 2024, 10:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattwilk1972

I am currently changing my exhaust and intake manifold gaskets on my 1938 60 special 346 flathead. I've discovered after removing my manifolds that I have no breather rail or tube there, Just the 2 holes where a tube would hook up to the valve covers. I've heard conflicting posts where the 1938 346 and earlier don't have a tube. Then I've read they have a breather tube. Can someone help me out please.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The system is described in the 38 shop manual but shown in the 37 shop manual.  The 37 and 38 systems are the same.  It is on page 90 Plate 37 of the 37 manual.  The 38 shop manual was a supplement to the 37 manual, so you need both.  Reproductions are often printed together in one binder.  The system is a positive crankcase ventilation system consisting of a high-speed system and low speed system.  A small pipe with orifice to the intake manifold and a larger pipe to the air cleaner. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Tom Beaver

Here are a couple of photographs of the 38 PCV system that Brad mentioned.  The first image shows the low speed PCV system which consists of the looped tubing which connectes to an orifaced fitting at the base of the intake manifold and terminates at a fitting which plugs into a rubber gromit in the front valve cover. The second image shows the high speed PCV system which consists of 1/2 inch steel tubing which, in this case, connects to a PCV check valve plugged into another rubber gromit in the rear valve cover. The tubing and PCV valve are are attached together by a piece of rubber tubing,  The top of the steel pipe attaches to a fittiing on the back of the air filter housing, which is not shown here.

The idea is that at low engine speeds the high intake manifold vacuum will draw crankcase vapors into the intake manifold and at high engine speeds relatively low pressure in the air filter housing will do the same.

Tom Beaver

mattwilk1972

thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

LaSalle5019

You may want to install cross over block-off gaskets from Olson's
Gasket installed.jpg