News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1978 Seville Fuel Pump Replacement (Still, ugh)

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, April 22, 2024, 04:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Hi folks,

I finally got the tank out from under my Seville, in order to replace the in tank fuel pump.  This project never ends.

I have pulled the sending unit.  I now have two problems.  The first is that the pins on the new fuel pump are a little wider than the pins on my old one meaning that the connector won't go on (picture attached).  I bought a Quantum pump that is supposed to fit my car, and the new pump looks essentially like the old one.

The only thing I can think of is to widen the holes a little on the original connector.  What would you do?

Also, the new pump came with a rubber sleeve to "suspend" the unit; the old one had an integrated ridge to accomplish the same thing.  On the original, there was a rubber ring that also held a tube in position (which I believe was for the excess fuel return line from before the car was switched to a carb).  The new rubber sleeve doesn't have this bit.  Can I (should I) use a wire tie to keep that line in place?  I stupidly messed up the rubber ring so I'm stuck either way.  I've attached a picture of this bit too.

What do you think?

Gary