News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

2000 Eldorado Coachbuilders Convertible question

Started by Mike Shawgo, April 29, 2024, 01:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I got out my 2000 Eldorado Coachbuilders convertible.  Put the top down, went for a drive, then put the top up when I got to my destination. When I came out, I tried to put the top down, and nothing--no noise from the motor, the boot flap did not raise, and the rear windows did not lower--just dead. Seems like the switch, but I can't imagine it just went bad right after I had raised the top. Before I check the switch, does anyone know if there is a fuse or relay that Coachbuilders used for the top?

Thanks,
Mike Shawgo

TJ Hopland

Seems unlikely to be something as easy as a switch.  Guessing there has to be some sort of control module?  Is there any sort of diagnostics available?  Is this not a factory thing?  If it was factory I'm sure you could use a scan tool to see what the module is seeing and doing.  If its not then who knows. 

Guessing by 2000 Cadillac would have been using some sort of network controls for things like windows so what ever module runs the top is communicating with the cars module and there may be other sensors involved to tell the module what status the windows and top is in.  It may be something like it thinks the top isn't completely up yet so it won't let it start the down sequence?  Or its commanding the windows down but they are not responding so its just waiting for that signal before it starts the top?     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Shawgo

No, the 2000 Eldorado convertibles were not factory, they were custom made by Coachbuilders in Florida, so there's nothing connected to the regular diagnostics or fuse diagrams.

TJ Hopland

Hopefully someone knows these systems and will have clues on how to diagnose it.   I suppose if the switch isn't too hard to access and its a simple 3 terminal switch you could test and or jumper there to see if it is just the switch.

Do you have any idea where the control module is?  Maybe have a look around for something that doesn't look factory with a fair number of wires going to it?  Maybe get lucky and its got some lights or a fuse or a loose connector hanging off it?

Have you ever had the battery go dead on this car?  If you have and it recovers just fine maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to force things to reset?   If its never been dead before that may not be a good idea since by then they were at least doing 'security' things with the radio that required codes or a scan tool to get working after a power loss. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone,

This turned out to be a snap lever microswitch in the side of the trunk, behind the trunk lining.  The lever had broken off.  Replaced the switch and it's good.

Mike