News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57-58 Bias Ply Tires

Started by JConk58, March 08, 2013, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JConk58

Getting ready to purchase a set of tires for my 58. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Universal 820-15  2 1/4" ww vs the BF Goodrich Silvertown 2 1/2" ww? They look identical. Both include the pie
crust "fluted" edge. I just wonder if the whitewall is of the same quality. The Universl tire is significantly cheaper. 209.00 from Lucus vs 245.00 for the Silvertown. I believe either width ww is
correct.

Thanks
James Conkright 18783
James Conkright CLC #18783
Owensboro, Kentucky
1950 Buick Special 46-S
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Conv
1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Jon S

My personal opinion, go with the B. F. Goodrich repros.  You will be keeping these tires for 10+ years and will be kicking yourself for not spending the minimal difference in price (over 10 year ownership) for the more authentic looking ones.  just my 2 cents.

You may also want to consider the B. F. Goodrich Radials - much better ride/control.

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Huffstutler

James, I would think twice about radials even if they could be safer if this is a daily driver, the ride will not be the same as the original among other issues.

I am going to repost here what I did in another thread to consider about radial tires and size conversion (from a Mopar friend of mine who is the head of a club and collector):

" There are two significant changes to the ride of a pre-70s collector car only one of which is unavoidable.   No more oil-filled shocks available so you are on gas shocks and I'll bet half the collectors or more buy the cheapest garbage gas shocks out there.   I buy KYBs for my Mopars and love them and  enjoy the ride.

The other factor is the change from bias ply tires to radials now most likely on the car.  And collectors buy the interchange size which is giving them an undersize tire.   The interchange is for tread width and does NOT give them adequate diameter similar to the originals.  Smaller diameter = less air and less cushion and worse gas mileage.   I preach these two factors so much I'm tired of trying to educate hobbyists!   We've changed aspect ratios about 4 times since 1963 and lower each time!  "

Eric
Eric Huffstutler

JConk58

Thanks for the responses. I have 2 3/4" ww radials on my Buick. The Cadillac will not really be driven that much and I prefer the correct fluted edge bias ply for that car. I had intended to buy the Silvertown 820-15 2 1/2 ww all along until I came across the Universal tire. Both look identical...I've just never heard of anybody having a set and was curious about them. Everybody buys the Silvertown on 57-58 so that tells me something about them. I was hoping to find someone that has a set of the Universal bias ply. It is a nice looking tire, significantly cheaper....but maybe this is a situation where you get what you pay for.

Thanks
James Conkright CLC #18783
Owensboro, Kentucky
1950 Buick Special 46-S
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Conv
1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

willits

I’ve got US Royal 8.20 X 15’s on my ’58 and have no complaints.  They have been on for about 3 years and are holding up fine.  I've covered about 1,000 miles or so on them.    I bought another set for my ’61 last year and  believe I paid $231 apiece for them.    I bought t them from Summit Racing mostly because the shipping was $13 to California vs $100+ from Tennessee. 

Peter

Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P