News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Eldorado: How to gain access to rear quarter window channel and motor

Started by Julien Abrahams, April 03, 2024, 04:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

So the windows of the '66 Eldorado are really slow. So I started with the driver's side door window and vent window. Took the door panel off, cleaned the channels and removed the old hardened grease. Regreased and now they both work fine. I want to do the same thing to the rear quarter windows. But how do I gain access to the channels, motor etc.? I feel like I am missing something simple. I have the rear seat out and the lower trim panel.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

skinny_tom

On my 65, if I recall correctly, I had to remove the seat, both pieces of panel, remove the glass up through the window slot and lower the mechanism like 2/3 of the way down. Then unbolt the channels and remove them/motor through the small opening in the sheet metal. THEN I could work on the motor and channel. It was a lot of work. Aligning the channel when I was finished, so the the window lined up properly was the hardest part.

There may be an easier way, but I don't know it.
- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

Julien Abrahams

Thanks for the reply.
When I looked more closely I saw there is an inspection cover with several small bolts. I unbolted most of them (one is under the wood trim which I do not dare to remove) and with some persuading i moved it out of the way. I did not want to try to remove the wood panels as I believe they are held on with some kind of glue or nails.
I cleaned the running channels of the mechanism and relubricated both left and right. In the future, the window rubbers need to be replaced becuase they are very hard and brittle. That is why the windows are stil somewhat slow, but they move.
Only the pass. side power vent window needs parts as the teeth of the cam have simply worn off. Project for the future. For now 5 of the 6 power windows work.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

skinny_tom

Awesome. Now that you mention it, there is a cover plate too.... Hmmm. I'm glad your wing windows work. Both of mine have stripped gears and frozen motors. Tackling that is on the back burner for now.
- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

Julien Abrahams

Yes, apparantly stripped gears is common on these. I believe Caddy Daddy sells replacement gears, but they are not cheap.
Gaining access and removing the vent window motors is actually quite easy. After removing the door panel the vent window motor comes out after removing 3 bolts that hold it in and one bolt that holds it to the window "shaft". In the front door is enough room to get your arm and a hand in there to catch it. Dissassembly of the motor and gears is also easy.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Cadman-iac

Hi Julian,

I just have a question about your car. I'm not familiar with the interior on the Eldorado so please forgive my ignorance.
Looking at the wood on the door in the picture you posted, it almost appears as if someone had made the wood section to replace what was on it originally. I am basing this on the pattern of the wood. It looks like they used thin strips glued together and sanded smooth.
Is that what the factory used, or was it replaced with what we see now?

I'm asking because from the few I have seen in other years and models the wood has natural grain to it, not straight lines like that.
Or is that like Zebra wood I've heard of?
It looks good regardless, I'm just curious.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Julien Abrahams

Dear Rick,

I don't know exactly. I believe the wood is original. It is just very faded. So in the future I would probably recommend to the owner to very lightly sanding it and then to stain it to protect it from the elements. I think that will nourish the wood and bring back the color.
Looking at interior pictures of Eldorado's on the internet it seems that they do have the grooves in the wood but because it is clean it all appears to be more of a uniform color.
The Eldorado that I am working on has been in a barn for about 30 years, so I think the wood is just really dirty.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Cadman-iac

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
 I was wondering if the upper part of the door panel is supposed to be all wood as that one is,  as all the ones I've been able to look at had just an insert section with the wood in it, like the 69 convertible I used to have. I admit I have not seen any of the rear wheel drive Eldorados in person, so I'm only going by what I've seen.
 So the lines are actually grooves in the wood? It appeared as glue to my eyes like on a gluelam beam or something sectioned together. But I'm looking at it with a phone, so I have a really small picture to look at.

Thanks again, Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"