News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49 331 cu. in. aftermarket pushrods

Started by 49 Caddy, April 06, 2024, 01:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Re-build kit I purchased has been pretty much on the money for parts and such, however, the replacement push-rods are shaped a little different on the ends and are approx. 3/16" longer.  Don't really want to shim the rocker arm shafts, so any other alternatives.  Use a different supplier?

Jay Friedman

I would try a different vendor. I suggest Terrill Machine, DeLeon TX or Egge Machine in California (if you didn't buy your rebuilding kit from either one of these.)
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

49 Caddy

Can't remember who it was purchased from, but I think it came with a mild cam.  Does that matter?

49 Caddy

May have answered my own question.  Compared the old lifters to the new, and the new are shorter.  About the same amount the new pushrods are longer.  Any input?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Are the new cam followers Mechanical?   As against Hydraulic?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

Quote from: 49 Caddy on April 06, 2024, 09:14:54 PMMay have answered my own question.  Compared the old lifters to the new, and the new are shorter.  About the same amount the new pushrods are longer.  Any input?

Put it together and see if it works.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

49 Caddy

I was thinking the same thing, Jay.  I might be over thinking things.  A professional Speed Shop did the machine work and assembled the short block for me.  I'm basically just adding the heads and top end.  Just wanting everything to go right.  Been 50 yrs. since I last got inside a motor.  Thanks for responses.

Jay Friedman

If the pushrods end up being too long and one or more valves doesn't close completly, you can experiment with shims or washers of different thicknesses under the rocker arm brackets.  You'll have to do that along with compression tests, until you get it right. As I think I mentioned before, this happened to my own motor when rebuilt some years ago.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Bob Kielar

There are adjustable push rod length checkers for about $20.00 thru Summit racing.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jim Miller

I had to put new push rods in my '49. The new ones were a touch longer. The difference was very small but it was enough to affect how the engine ran. As Jay mentioned, I used shims on a trial and error basis till we got it just right. Engine now runs great.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Put a new pushrod and lifter together and an original lifter and pushrod and measure the overall length and compare. Make sure neither lifter is stuck in the down position (more likely with the old one I suppose).