News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Differential rebuild: few questions due to the lack of any specs

Started by Caddy Chris UK, April 06, 2024, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Chris UK

Hi All

RE: 1951 Coupe De Ville Differential (photo included).

As a follow-on to my recent 'draft video guides post'... since the diffs were only meant to be rebuilt in the factory, I'm struggling to find specs for reassembly / set-up.

I'd be grateful if you have any technical specifications / guides / input on re-assembly (I've not found any despite searching).  I've seen the existing forum posts on pinon shaft pre-load, pinon nut torque settings and bearing pre-load torque checks – which I can follow (very handy, thanks).  So I'm now only working on a few items listed below, or on any areas which commonly cause problems when reassembling diffs, that would really help. Many thanks:

1.    BACKLASH. I'm currently aiming to achieve between 8 and 10 thou. This seems to be quite common for modern diffs. Any reason that the older diffs (different materials?) might need a different spec? (The backlash on my diff was about 15 thou before disassembly). What is the spec for backlash on a 1951 diff? Will 8 - 10 thou be okay? Thanks.

2.    CARRIER BEARING PRE-LOAD: Without any spec, I'd go with a small amount of pre-load to guarantee that there was no end float. The TIMKEN general guidance is that maximum bearing life results from a slight pre-load. What is the spec for the carrier bearing preload (for these 'pedestal and pinch-bolt' arrangements)? Thanks.

3.    PINCH BOLT TORQUE: The torque setting for the bearing support 'pinch' bolts in the pedestal mounts? My, current plan, with a lack of any info, is simply to put them back 'as they were' – i.e. align to the marks made prior to removal. Thanks.

Many thanks for any help...
Chris
CLC Membership # 35217
1951 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Dave Shepherd

Was the rear noise free? Pinion preload with used bearings is around 20-25 in/lbs rotating torque, with a new seal. Try 008-0010 lash, look at the tooth contact pattern. Carrier bearing preload is pretty much by feel in this case. Agreed on the pinch bolt tightening. These are the specs a newer diff would use, in general.

Caddy Chris UK

Many thanks for the input Dave, very helpful and much appreciated - thank you.
Chris.
CLC Membership # 35217
1951 Cadillac Coupe De Ville