News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Series 62 Fuel Delivery Issue

Started by bobchaney, April 06, 2024, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobchaney

I have both an Airtex and mechanical pump along with an inline filter that has a clear sight glass. She quit on me coming home the other day and had to have my son in law pull me home with his Jeep. It acted like it was out of gas even though I know the tank is full. I just took a look and the nothing in the sight glass and I can hear the Airtex trying to pump but nothing. Looks like I need to drop the tank and of course it's full. I assume siphoning isn't difficult but what do I do with 20 gallons of fuel that is probably old and shouldn't be used?
1949 Cadillac 6269X
CLC# 28432

Cadillac Jack 82

Lines might be clogged.  You can either try to remove and clean them but it might be best to get new lines since its the fuel system.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

V63

If the fuel is 'old' it's best not to run it thru your engine. It can result in seized valves.

Be sure to verify the suction side of the fuel supply is sound, the slightest compromise will inhibit flow.

The 1949 does have a factory drain bolt on its fuel tank.

Bob Kielar

Perhaps you could try to take your gas cap off disconnect the line at the engine and blow very low pressure air into the line and see if you hear bubbling in the tank. The reason I say low pressure there might be a sock filter in the tank and you wouldn't what to blow it apart. Or you could disconnect the line at the tank and blow air from the engine line.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Did you happen to take the gas cap off when she quit on you? I would try starting it now, after its been sitting, to see if you have any fuel. It's possible your vent could have been plugged.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille