News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bosch 3423 oil filter for 472-500-425-368 ?

Started by TJ Hopland, April 13, 2024, 12:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Short version:

Ordered a Bosch Premium 3423 oil filter that is said to fit the Caddy 500.  Its 2/3 the height and same diameter of a soda can, not the usual closer to vintage quart oil can size.  Anyone use this before?  I looked it up online and it really appears that this is intended to be used on the 70's 'BOP' engines.  Thoughts and opinions?

Longer version: 

Had to order some brake parts for the daily from Rock Auto and I did what I usually do once I get the main stuff sorted and 'in the cart' which is to stock up on some cheap items that are not worth paying for shipping on their own.  Pulled up the 73, oil filters, and looked for the little truck icon that indicates stock in locations I'm already getting parts from.  Of course my usual go to brands like Wix were not at my current locations but Bosch Premium was for like $5 so in cart it goes. 

Was very curious how the packing was going to be since some of the items were rotors.  Packing usually isn't so good when there is something heavy in the box, everything else tends to get destroyed.  Came fairly quick which always happens when the car in question is still drivable but never when its apart.  Also packing was good and no damage, guess one advantage to cute little baby toy rotors.

All looks good till I get to the oil filter and the box is like 2/3 the height of a soda can.  I was shopping for several oil filters so I didn't remember what I actually ordered,  looked at the sheet and yep it says for 73 Cadillac.  Checked online and it really appears that that is intended for the Buick, Olds, Pontiac, & Cadillac engines of the 70's.  At a glance it looks like the thread and gasket size is OK but I don't appear to have another new filter on the shelf to compare it to. 

I think its bigger than the filter on my 6.0 LS in my 3/4 ton pickup so I guess bigger doesn't have to be better for bigger engines?  But that is a much more modern engine design than the 500.  I assume bigger has more area to collect the more stuff expected out of an older engine design?  Are newer oils enough? 

What do you all think?  Use it?  Or not?  I do plan on ordering one of my more usual brands to compare the fit bits and have on hand if it doesn't fit for some reason but I'm sort of thinking of using it if it fits.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Turns out I have a Wix on the shelf.  Shows how good my mental and physical inventory system is and how much I have been driving that car lately.   Again eyeballometer it looks like it will fit.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason